Skip to content

Multiplayer Match-Making?

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2012
    @Zamiel
    Um.

Actually, I closed "Unbelievable" because it had a lot of overlap between both this thread and the "I gotta be honest about this game" thread. It had nothing to do with the tone you took in it or the things you were saying (which is, incidentally, why I specifically noted in the post above that it wasn't a condemnation). I'm all for voicing your opinions in a civil manner, but a bunch of duplicate threads doesn't make a lot of sense from an organizational point of view.

By all means continue to post in either this or the other thread (or, heck, start a new one if you like, if the existing ones don't meet your needs). Duplicate threads will be closed or merged (in this case closed, because the way merging works on these forums does more harm than good) in order to reduce the clutter and help people find the threads they need.
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2012

@majinsnake Just so you know, your post was absolutely pointless and not at all amusing. Additionally I have no reason to "expect" something when it's finished, at that point I demand. Expectation happens before.

Odd that you say pointless because I was being serious. Not amusing. I did not laugh at all.
    You should have just used twitter and messaged the developers directly. Their twitter names are on the main page of this site. You are welcome.

I am not going to be rude on a forum. You are one of those who was asking for help in another thread and responded with a detailed post. It isn't often I see that on a forum.

Good luck
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Anyways, kinda back on topic, IF they're not going to add servers. Then all I'm asking is to fix the LAN issue. That's all I want. Starcraft 1 had the best and most reliable LAN system I've ever seen on a game because it had no hoops to jump through and it hardly ever crashed. If Overhaul can just use LAN UDP (iirc was what Blizzard used) then my money was well spent. If they're going to just fix multiplayer bugs and keep the old system of connecting with ports and 3rd party downloads, then I'll have an issue.
  • NecavitNecavit Member Posts: 23
    Ok, so there are no servers.

Are you telling me that I will always need to use hamachi?

Or will match-making solve my problems, and if so... I am still curious about when said match-making will be available.
    I hope we don't need Hamachi @Necavit... I really do...
    Well if I do need to use Hamach, I will try and get my money back.

I own several copies of Baldurs Gate. I bought this one for an easy to use multiplayer.
    Just so I understand fully:

What exactly is Hamachi, and what does it do?
    Software that sets up a connection for you, for those of us who dont know a thing about forwarding ports and such.
    Ah.

So what you need is something that will forward your ports correctly. Do you know how it does it, or does it just do it automatically?

(I ask these questions because the more the developers know about what needs to be done, the more likely it will be accomplished.)
    Someone else here may be able to help you with the specifics when it comes to Hamachi.

I'll be the first to admit I am somewhat ignorant about the software, I just hear that it's the best thing to use at the moment.

Most of us are unused to port forwarding and such, since we are spoiled by more user-friendly mutliplayer. All we really want is a multiplayer for the less computer literate.
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    I'm no expert but hamachi just creates a virtual LAN to which anyone can then connect without port issues.
    Tbh, the only thing it does for mp games (as far as i've seen) is make the connection more stable if you have a large party because it puts everyone in the same network, most bugs and crashes still remain however. So only random connection crashes seem to be decreased.
    But as i said, i'm no expert, which is why i was also looking forward to the matchmaking...
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    Zamiel said:

LOL that was so clear that you close mine because it criticized almost everything whats wrong whith this game. Maybe I should remember you that MY post was the FIRST about the multiplayer issues...

UNBELIEVABLE

You wont see me again in this forum. This is just a big joke. Make you self happy by silence the undesired topics and meanings.

I have a feeling you won't be missed
    Rebooting thread here. Loving the new features and patches with the game since release, though I haven't played much due to getting occupied with Skyrim now that I've grown to the fact that the story will always be weak.

Regarding the main thread here, is there any word yet about the 'match-making' service? My friends and I are still patiently waiting. This comment isn't about 'wanting it now or I want my money back if not soon' kind of talk. Just stopping in to check on the progress. Haven't been on forums lately.

@Aosaw Could you change the title of this thread to Match-Making please so not to confuse new people. Thanks.
    @Wiggles
    Done.
  • ZanteZante Member Posts: 15
    I'm also interested in the matchmaking feature. Could you please encourage those who are responsible to make an official statement or, perhaps, to at least relay some basic information via yourself or another party?

There is a massive opportunity being missed here. Games are always most active in multiplayer during the first few months of release. That experience is being squandered.
    It really has been handled pretty poorly.

I bought this game to play some multiplayer, and I have been told to wait. Well its been two months and there is no end in sight.

Some kind of update would be very much appreciated.
    @Zante

I agree, however, there were (and still are for that matter) a lot of bugs fixed. Otherwise it would've had a negative experience for us. Of what I read, it's better, but not quiet done. Kind of a hypocrite ain't I? XD
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    I personally have seen a significant decrease in bugs and crashes as well, all that (or most of what) remains now is a secure and easy way to connect to people.
    Lately the major roadblock in getting a game set up is being able to connect. Even with the right ports open and even with programs like hamachi it's not always working, even if you've connected to that certain person before. But at least once your game is going you dont have to worry too much about random crashes anymore, so that's always a plus.

So like most people now, im anxiously awaiting the matchmaking system (or an eta at least might be nice).
    Just very frustrating, its taking so long that all of my friends are losing interest.

The entire reason I bought the game is because I was led to believe that match-making would be included on release.

I am then told it was a mistake on the marketing teams part, and that I should wait and be patient.

Well two months have passed, and we have gotten little to no word about it.
  • Ragdoll83Ragdoll83 Member Posts: 34
    Welcome to the new world of game development, you get to sell your product while it ain't done and string players along for 4 -8 months before they get the 100% working version. My guess is it will be another two months before matchmaking is even in the horizon. Very dissapointing.
    I'm not attempting to excuse the lack of match-making (I'm looking forward to it as much as all of you), but it may help to know that our development team is relatively small, and most of our energy at the moment is being spent on improving the game's engine, fixing bugs, and getting it ready for Mac and Android releases. We're also working on improving the language support and rewriting the renderer (so that the players with Intel chipsets can actually play the game), none of which are small tasks.

Again, I'm not excusing the absence of a match-making system; just offering some additional information to let you know that we're not intentionally stringing anyone along.
  • HeyaHeya Member Posts: 55
    I'd gladly wait another few months for a matchmaking service if only they'd release a patch that eradicates the duplicating NPC bug! That's the only thing that makes multiplayer unplayable for me, and I'm itching to get back into it :(
    Aosaw said:

I'm not attempting to excuse the lack of match-making (I'm looking forward to it as much as all of you), but it may help to know that our development team is relatively small, and most of our energy at the moment is being spent on improving the game's engine, fixing bugs, and getting it ready for Mac and Android releases. We're also working on improving the language support and rewriting the renderer (so that the players with Intel chipsets can actually play the game), none of which are small tasks.

Again, I'm not excusing the absence of a match-making system; just offering some additional information to let you know that we're not intentionally stringing anyone along.

This is all very reasonable and understandable.

But if I had been told that match-making would not be included in the release before I had bought the game, I would have waited. (I hear Trent made a tweet, but the front page of the site said otherwise).

And if the team had been more transparent with how long match-making would be delayed, I would have requested a refund immediately.

Its now seeming more and more that I wont see this patch for another few months.

I'll take a whack at getting a refund, but I don't like my odds on that front.

@Necavit
    I'm the Support Guy, so I'd say your odds are pretty good. ;)
    Really?

Sweet.

If that works out, no hard feelings, and Ill buy it again when the patch comes out.

And join everyone when they do Baldurs Gate 2.
    Reviving a rebooted thread? Isn't that low? Not for this guy!!!

So with the Mac release in about 5hrs, do you people think the match-making service is close? Like 5hrs close? Or more realistically like another two months close? I think they might wait until Android tablets get the game too, just to keep me on edge. :(

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    would be nice to see it that soon.... But I rather doubt it... Oh well, my multiplayer experience of Baldur's Gate will have to wait until I'm done with the Heart of the Swarm campaign I suppose.
  • WurrtrakWurrtrak Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    My bet is a couple of months after the android release. You know, when nobody wants to play anymore.