Skip to content

Request: items for new classes

Reading through the game notes there should be new items for the bg2 classes. I visited most of the shops and haven't found anything that would fit a monk (or any of the other new classes) specifically.
It would be great if the devs added some of those items in shops that we can access early (similar to the armory in Beregost or High Edge).

The monk need some items (glove, robe, ioun stone...) so he can use his fists and do damages to more than just bats and chickens ;) As a monk I shouldn't have to equip swords to be able to damage anything and can't equip bo staff cause they are 2-handed items.

So please bring some new items for the new classes :)

Comments

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I think some minor gloves, and Ioun stone or some monk robes would not cause too much issue. Tempted to look at BG2 and steal a couple of items and tone them down for BGEE.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    And while we're at it, lets just make the PC immortal, the game lost all it's challenge just by adding kits (which are ridiculously more powerful they should be), so why even bother in the first place.

And while we're at it, remove the spell limit. It's totally not fair that my mage should ever have to throw a rock or swing a stick at someone (and miss horribly since unlike the monk I don't get fighter thac0). Sure, I'm unstoppable at high levels, but I die like a sickly kitten right now and that's just wrong.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

And while we're at it, lets just make the PC immortal, the game lost all it's challenge just by adding kits (which are ridiculously more powerful they should be), so why even bother in the first place.

And while we're at it, remove the spell limit. It's totally not fair that my mage should ever have to throw a rock or swing a stick at someone (and miss horribly since unlike the monk I don't get fighter thac0). Sure, I'm unstoppable at high levels, but I die like a sickly kitten right now and that's just wrong.

Easy there @ZanathKariashi. @beo01 is asking for items to fit his class not for a +4 hackmaster or those other things that are irking you.
    edited December 2012
    And the main issue is, they aren't needed. Much like mages who suffer now and pay off later, monks are the same...they just suffer a little more, since once they hit the high levels, they can go full throttle, 24/7 without resting, while mages are still bound by limited spell slots.

All the equipment you need, is already in the game. If it's insufficient, then learn to play the class properly, as you're clearly doing something wrong.
  • beo01beo01 Member Posts: 7
    hi, just to clarify I am not asking to make the classes overpower just for some items as a reward in a role playing game and get a richer experience when playing it.

I would like to role play the monk without equipping him with a sword and also gift him with a nice robe to show he is progressing. Maybe the monk is the more obvious for me at the moment as he got limited choices, but same goes for the bard, wild mage, kensai... It doesn't have to be +3 weapon of doom or armor of invincibility, just a cape to make the look different, show he is progressing and have a different feel than when I am playing a fighter or a rogue.

Regarding the monk I have a harder time playing his class as I found a few monsters immune to his fist damage. So maybe I am playing him wrong (and should let other members in the party do their thing) but I would like to role play him with no weapon and still be useful. Maybe have few items (glove, robe, ioun stone) would be good so when the other characters progress and get better items he can keep up with them as well.

@ZanathKariashi in my opinion what makes baldur's gate such a great game even after all these years is freedom to roam and the rich role playing experience (interaction with npc, decisions you make based on alignment...) and not that you can have the strongest character and roll over all monsters.

I would like the game master to acknowledge those new classes exist in the forgotten realms and reward them with specific items so I can have fun with them in this game. Be it quest rewards, chests or shopkeepers (or temple, druid grove...) who know they can do business with monks, blackguard, kensai or bards...
    But for now just a few items in shops should do ;)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2012
    Actually, some non mage-only robes or outfits would be pretty interesting, they needn't give more than the low level Adventurer's Robe or the like, the best of which presumably being +1 AC to all sources or something, or elemental damage resistance, or a snazzy outfit to give you a +2 Reaction modifier.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2012
    Oops. Ignore.
    edited December 2012
    Exactly, so play your character, and stop asking for things that negate their disadvantages (since you're essentially say, give me OP items because otherwise I can't have fun, even though I knew this class was garbage at low levels when I picked it), or play something else. It's not even about min/maxing or not, if characters die, then more then likely, you're asking them to do some challenge they aren't prepared to do. Not one argument of your is at all valid. Sure, give them some cosmetic clothes, with stats bonuses on par with plain mage robes, but that's the most I'd ever sign off on. There's already plenty of items in the game to cover your weaknesses. And no, monks are supposed to have crap melee at low levels or they'd have given them their full melee damage at lvl 1...you either suck it up, or use a weapon.