Skip to content

If you're a 3D Environment Artist...

YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
Trent just posted a tweet about a job opportunity for a 3D Environment Artist, with this link...
http://www.overhaulgames.com/jobs.html

Haven't seen a subject about it yet so here it is. ;)

Comments

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Anyone else starting to wonder about a Summer release? Seems like they are still putting alot of stuff together.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    If I knew what a 3D Environment Artist was I'd apply. Then I'd hesitate realizing I'm not a 3D Environment Artist.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Anyone else starting to wonder about a Summer release? Seems like they are still putting alot of stuff together.
    Actually, it's a good sign methinks. Maps are necessary only once you have the quests, the mecanisms, the design, npcs. Meaning, they probably already have those, it's possibly one of the last steps from adventure X or Y.

Furthermore, while I'm no artist, creating maps probably doesn't take a month.

BTW, the offers stands only for canadian.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Actually, it's a good sign methinks. Maps are necessary only once you have the quests, the mecanisms, the design, npcs. Meaning, they probably already have those, it's possibly one of the last steps from adventure X or Y.

Furthermore, while I'm no artist, creating maps probably doesn't take a month.

BTW, the offers stands only for canadian.
    What if you are Canadian at heart?
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    I suppose the main thing is to be able to move near the place of work, even if you're not Canadian?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Clearly says Canadian citizen. Ah well.
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    Just had a look again and saw this... Sorry for giving false hopes :/
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    It's okay... perhaps they will accept freelance or distance work in the future:-)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I wish the guy who gets the job good luck and oh well. I´m not jealous but a bit saddened for sure.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Oh man I live in Edmonton!!
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2012
    Oh man I live in Edmonton!!
    Lucky weird-looking baldie ! Now try to get into BeamDog ! ;)

[edit] Oh wait, you also need to be canadian. Doesn't work if you are from baldur or Amn
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    I'm from Calimshan. I have journeyed quite some distance.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2012
    I have a question, for anyone who can answer.

Since they want a new artist for some new areas and stuff. If these areas - dungeons - whatever, is completely new art from scratch, won't it look weirdly more good looking than the vanilla areas we see in BG?

And won't our characters that were developed in lower native resolutions look a bit out of place in them as well? They looked already worse than their surroundings anyway.

I'm asking because since "overhauling" character models would make them look out of place compared to let's say monsters or commoners, won't new art for the new areas in the same way look out of place compared to old art?

How do you plan to deal with that?

Unless of course i understand something wrong, or you haven't told us everything :p
    It is my understanding that they are not doing many graphical changes to sprites or environments form the original Baldur's gate.

The new areas, are a different matter. I can see where you are coming from, but I don't believe they will look to out of place. They maybe higher res and I haven't heard if they will be doing completely new sprites for the area's monsters, but who knows.
    edited July 2012
    They are not changing sprites/animations or graphics in any manner ( to my understanding ).

When the question about new character models was posed, Trent Oster answered that 1) it would be too much work, and 2) while characters only would be ok, they would look out of place / too good looking compared to the other monsters/commoners whatever.

That is why i asked about the new areas, since Trent said they are doing the new art ( for new areas i guess? ) from scratch, and they are hiring a 3D artist, i imagine they are going to design new dungeons / areas.

So the argument was sort of like : The new character models would look out of place compared to old looking monsters, but won't the new areas designed now, look much better than the original designed areas as well? Or something like that.

I guess we are missing some info, or i misunderstood something along the lines, or something changed in their plans ( i don't think this is the issue ).
    I think the 3d artist will just be designing set pieces for the level. (BG levels were done first as 3d models and then rendered into static backgrounds).

BG maps were already pretty detailed, I am not worried about the new areas being to detailed compared to the character models, which were already pretty bad to be honest.
    Yeah, BG graphics were 3D converted to 2D. That's why they want the 3D artist, to help them with the new areas i guess.

If the character models looked bad compared to the 15 year old surroundings, how will they look compared to the new ones?

The point is that since " it's an all or nothing job" , they probably mean they will create new areas with the same detail that the old ones had, so they don't look out of place or too good compared to the characters walking in them.

I guess?