Skip to content

Dual-class query re: proficiency points

DanElDanEl Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 10
I'm considering creating my first dual class character and was wondering whether if you start as a fighter and dual to say a thief, can up continue to place proficiency points up to grand mastery with points you receive at thief levels?

or does the new classes proficiency rules kick in?

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    According to PnP rules, you shouldn't be able to do this, and you can't in Icewind Dale under identical dual-class rules. But either intentionally or mistakenly, it is possible to continue mastering weapons after dualing away from Fighter in the BG games.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Doesn't work that way in BG1 (or PnP for that matter), but BG2 for some reason allowed it, and EE has inherited that from it. For now. It's one of many things I've been trying to get corrected.
  • DanElDanEl Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 10
    Thanks for the answers... so ideally I should stay a fighter until I get the proficiency points I want, then dual over on the off chance this is changed in the future.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It wouldn't effect a character that already took advantage from it, but would stop new characters or those that hadn't abused it yet from doing so.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    Hey stop trying to ruin my cleric dual class from having grandmastery.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @TheGreatKhan

Hey stop trying to ruin my cleric dual class from having grandmastery.

I was doing the same thing with a Fighter / Cleric!

I've got another game running with a 6 Berserker/9 Thief that has Grand Mastery in staves and I've backstabbed for over 100 damage, and I don't have the staff of striking yet. Yaaaaay, I'm ok with it if it gets fixed/changed but I'm going to enjoy it for now.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    This game is far from PnP and it's single player, so I don't see the big clamour people have about changing it. Many other things would come first in my mind.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeah say you make a Fighter.

** Long Swords
    ** Long Bow

Fighter Level 3:

*** Long Swords
    ** Long Bow

Fighter Level 6:

**** Long Swords
    ** Long Bow

Either dual-class at Fighter level 6 (so you can achieve Thief level 9, getting to 4x backstab) or Fighter level 7 (for an extra 1/2 attack per round, you stop at Thief level 8).

Thieves get four profs. Two at level 1, another at level 4, and their last at level 8.

So obviously, when you dual-class your old proficiency points disappear for a while. So regardless of where you dump your first three proficiency points, when you hit Thief level 8 you will have your Fighter profs (**** Long Swords ** Long Bow), at which point you add your final proficiency point to ***** Long Swords and voila you have your Grandmastery.

If you want to game the system even worse, you can hit Thief level 3 and stop levelling up. Just don't press the level up button. When you know you have enough experience for that Thief level 8, hit the level up button to go up five levels, and you can add TWO proficiency points to your old Fighter levels (one from Thief level 4, one from Thief level 8). In my example of course you would go ***** Long Swords *** Long Bow.

-----

On a personal level, I'm not a huge fan of dual-classing. I think it's very cheap, and kind of hurts the game. But to each their own, so I am here to educate.