Skip to content

Bard Kit or Fighter/Thief

Hello everyone,

I am new to BG and have been going back and forth on what class to choose for my PC. When playing games, I normally like to create a pc that is more varied than just a sword and board warrior type so that he can fit into different roles and different party configurations. I have had the game for a week now and have not made it past the first forest you start in because I am horrible at committing to what I want to be (although I think it is reasonable to be sure before spending too much time and starting over). I initially tried stalker, shapeshifter, and monk, but after reading a bit online those seemed to not be ideal, especially for a new player.

Finally, I think I have settled on either a bard, or one of its kits, or a fighter/thief multi class. I typically like playing a thief based backstabbing character, so the added durability and fighting skills of the fighter/thief is appealing. However, I also like the idea of a bard due to the ability to fill different roles and to stand back and buff everyone. The blade and Skald kits definitely seem interesting. Does anyone have any advice on which would be best for my pc?

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I haven't played a bard in a while, but having just completed my first BGEE run with a fighter/thief, I can attest that they're great fun to play as. Having a PC capable of scouting and backstabbing means that your PC will be an integral part of any battle, unlike PCs that hang in the back and aren't always useful. And I like my PC to be constantly useful.

I've heard that Skald's are very powerful, but since there's no "lingering song" effect in the BG series, your PC would be constantly delegated to singing. Seems like it would be boring. Blades certainly have a more active role in combat, though, and I intend for my next PC to be a Blade.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Those are all very viable characters. You would probably have fun with all of them. Fighter/Thief is a very good combo as you don't really need a single class thief to max out all the important thief skills and the Fighter part gives you much improved THAC0 and HP and stuff. You also get to use the better Fighter Gear like Potions of X Giant Strength, you can throw on real armor if you hit a point where you want to really tank instead of backstab, whatever.

Bards can be awesome. Bards aren't really good at any particular role, but they can fill several roles. Or they make other classes better at their special roles. Like, a bard can cover the group's Pick Pocketing skill so the party thief doesn't have to waste points on it when he's maxing out pick locks and find traps. He can be a great tank once he gets some buffs, he can be a pretty good ranged guy, he gets a lot of magic so he can bolster a group's magic power. His song isn't worth crud though XD

The Blade Kit I don't have direct experience with but general consensus is it is awesomesauce. The Skald Kit is great because its song actually REALLY buffs your guys up, especially at low levels, and by the time it doesn't work so well anymore in Throne of Bhaal, you'll be getting the Improved Bard Song that overwrites it. The Blade Kit is supposed to take some skill to use well though.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The Skald fits well into any party. They can buff well with their song, or if you're lacking melee, they can fight decently well, if equipped with a speed weapon, or you can dual-wield 2 speed weapons...though at current is not quiet as efficient as it should be, they can handle utility or buff/debuff spells since their caster level will consistently be higher then a mages. OR you can give them a high speed bow, or darts. Their +1 hit/damage applies to all weapons, so it gives them a little extra umph in the damage department.

Blades are ok, but they're more like a weaker F/M, but levels faster. Though they REALLY need dual-speed weapons to compete damage-wise with other melee classes (even an archer is a better melee fighter then they are and doesn't require any spells or special, highly limited quantity weapons to do so). They can be fun....but I don't like them personally.

F/T in some combination, are quite fun. While I prefer straight thieves if I'm using a kit, being part fighter does bring a lot to the table for a plain thief. They can hit a little harder for backstabs, hit more often against really high AC targets, a bit more hp, and can fight quite well against targets that can't be backstabbed. Multi F/T are very potent, though a Kensai dual'd at 13 thief will deal some ludicrous backstabs, and unlike 14 mage, 14 thief is relatively painless to get, even in a party.
  • AmitielAmitiel Member Posts: 3
    Well, I think I am going to create a Skald and a Fighter/Thief and try each one out for a bit. I made a Skald yesterday and got a good roll of 18 18 16 13 10 15. I gave him a proficiency point in both crossbows and spears. Are those good weapons for a Skald? If so, should I try to add points to one over the other and/or should I go for two-handed style?
    badbromance
    @Zanath

Do you mean starting as a Kensai and getting to 13 and dualing to thief, or the other way around?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    In BG1 and overall I prefer fighter/thief multiclass. Duals are good but you lose a while while you get your class back and to me the benefits aren't great but that's another conversation.

Bards are good, people love blades they really come into their own in BG2 and get really really powerful. In BG1, you'll be short on hitpoints with 1 attacks and little magic so recommend ranged weapons.
  • HunterOfBountyHunterOfBounty Member Posts: 38
    Amitiel said:

@Zanath

Do you mean starting as a Kensai and getting to 13 and dualing to thief, or the other way around?

You can only dual from a kit. You will obviously not reach level 13 in BG1, and playing the first game as a kensai is less than ideal. The kensai penalties will be removed at high levels, but by that time a F/T multiclass will begin to receive fighter based high level abilities. Kensai->thieves are very good at backstabbing, but IMO a multiclass fighter/thief is a much better overall character for both games. The two best races are Dwarf and Half-Orc. A blade should also be an interesting character, but I have never played one in BG1.
    Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! Which proficiencies would be recommended for a F/T? I kind of like the idea of using scimitars. Is it best to go with one-handed or two weapons style?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Scimitars feature some extraordinary weapons throughout the BG series.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Two weapons is better if you're envisioning focusing on your fighter half, and single-weapon is better if you're more of a thief. Single-weapon style doubles your chances of a critical hit, and crits are basically guaranteed 1-shots if you're backstabbing.

If you don't mind swapping stuff around in your inventory mid-fight, you could always take both. Only one point in single-weapon is needed for the crit bonus, so you could start a fight with a single-weapon backstab, then whip out another sword in your offhand for choppy-time.

As @Pantalion says, scimitars are great throughout the series. You can't go wrong with them, though you'll eventually want to specialize in another type of sword to go with them, probably longswords. Katanas are amazing, but you should probably hold off until BG2 to start using them, since there aren't many katanas, magical or mundane, in BG1.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Well I'm rollin' a half-orc fighter/thief and he's an absolute beast. Starting with a 19 STR and 19 CON is just pure awesome sauce.
    SirK8
  • KhrondorKhrondor Member Posts: 54
    Fighter/Thief multi gets my vote. I just got done playing a Blade in BGEE and carrying it over to BG2, not as fun. I dont like having to spend alot of time buffing up for a fight.I have also tried Kensai/Thief, but playing half the series as a gimped character til you get your first class back isnt worth the few extra damage you can do. And you dont get fighter HLA's. I think if you go Half Orc you can get 24 natural Strength by the end of TOB.

If you started with BGEE. get 2 handed style. Go scimatars for BGEE, then pick up any of the following for BG2/TOB. Axes, longswords, flails, warhammers, katanas (no certain order). I base my weapon proficiencys on what the best weapons in the game are.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CaptRory
  • HunterOfBountyHunterOfBounty Member Posts: 38
    Bhaaldog said:

Personally I think a Bard can be the most powerful character in BG1 (Solo or in a group) however this in the hands of someone who already knows where all the items are and has strategies to deal with or avoid various encounters. A Fighter/Thief is a more friendly combination for a new adventurer.

I don't know. In my opinion the best solo class for BG1 would need to include thief in some fashion. If a class has to skip Durlag's Tower they can not be called the most powerful in my opinion. Many classes can handle Durlag's Tower by taking the traps in the face, but this is a riskier and slower process than that of just disarming them. Bards are certainly very good for BG1, but I would rather place my bets for strongest solo class on a F/M/T. For a six person group it's a different matter.

For the OP I can say that a F/T will be great if you enjoy backstabbing. Bards, while good, are honestly not *that* great for buffing in BG1.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I have often toyed with the idea of creating an entire party of exclusively Bards. Sort of like if the principle players in The Royal Shakespeare Company said screw it and decided to go slay dragons instead of performing yet another matinee of Macbeth.

I can't help but think of the rude mechanicals in Midsummer Night's Dream and laugh. The wonderful impracticality of it only encourages me.
    Brude
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It could work! You'd have plenty of magic. And if you used the different bard kits you'd have some variety. The only thing I'd recommend would be taking a thief to disarm traps and open locks, and only as an anti-frustration feature. Call him a "Friend" of Jimmy the Donut, financier and "Legitimate Businessman" who put a Troll's Head in your bed. Good thing you memorized Burning Hands last night! =3
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I made a group called "The Troupe", consisting of a Bard, a Jester, a Skald, and a Blade. Went through the whole series with them, was pretty nice.