Skip to content

Regular Settings Option: Checkbox to Hide Status Icons/ Bloodiness on Portraits

BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
[O] Hide Status Icons from Character Portraits

I like the character portraits. I take a lot of time finding them online and then often reworking them to work in BG, renaming them, etc. Mucho time. Then in-game when the magic equipment and buffs starts accumulating and damage starts getting taken, those portraits are drowned out in a dark red blotch with little thingies all over it. Well, I'd like to be able to hide the buff icons from the main screen portrait as well as maybe reduce the the bloodiness to a sliver on one or the other side of the portrait which clearly shows the health status without blotching out the portrait entirely.

Or maybe make two checkboxes for icons and bloodiness separately, but at least some way to go through an entire game with a face rather than a status tally board.

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Good point. In fact later in the game (mainly BG2) where you're so loaded with status icons, sometimes it's possible to not even realise a character has sustained horrific injuries, because they conceal the red underneath.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    Well, they could do two things:

1. Like you said, give us the option of not having status effect icons on our portraits.
    2. Give us a HP bar beneath/on the side of our portrait (IWD2 had a health bar beneath each portrait).
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    I like the idea of status icons surrounding the portrait like petals on a flower.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    By the way Bhryaen how is Phiinky?
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    The problem is, that if you only provide an option to hide the status effect icons, the player loses information by activating it. For some of those icons, there's no easy way to see the effect. I think that if the option is added, it would be to switch between the bg mode of icons and some new method, that will display the information in some other way.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2012
    Well, they could do two things:

1. Like you said, give us the option of not having status effect icons on our portraits.
    2. Give us a HP bar beneath/on the side of our portrait (IWD2 had a health bar beneath each portrait).
    didn't IWD 1 have an option to show just numbers? like this: 15/26 hp, 15/15 etc. That could also be an alternative.

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @wbouvy
    Actually those icons already show up under the portrait on the Character Sheet page. It's an inconvenience to find them there, but then, that's why this is optional. Probably optimal would be an option that makes the icons on the main page hidden until touching a hotkey. Then it would be a simple keystroke away from checking the icon status. Or don't select it and let your portrait be filled with little icons that mask which character is the one behind them all. The health rating needs to be seen at all times though, but a simple red/black bar or such at the vertical edge would do...
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    @Bhryaen I like that idea, using a hotkey for the icons. The tab key could not only display the health numbers above the characters, but the icons in the portraits as well.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I loved when my portraits were full of icons, It meant I was ready for battle! The health can easily be solved with a 60/60 instead of the red though I prefer the red.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Still hope for this one.
  • Jodien37Jodien37 Member Posts: 17
    Maybe opening up some space between each portrait and using that space for a horizontal hp bar and icons row can look good.