Skip to content

Is Shar-Teel Nerfed with her new Weapon Profiecencies?

I'm not sure how I feel about her current setup.

+Longsword
+Dagger
++ Two Weapon Style

I get that they didn't want her going to grandmaster in long swords (which she would have in her old incarnation)

So...if you're avoiding Shadowkeeper, I'm thinking the best bet is go to a 6th level Fighter...and put one more + in both Dagger and Two Weapon style...grab the Dagger of Venom and the Golem Dagger +2 early....and get her to 9th level as a Thief for the x4 Back stab.

Her tHACO won't be as low as it was, but...she'll be able to wreck people with poison from the Dagger of Venom.

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12935/npc-proficiencys-make-me-as-sad-as-xan#latest

Pantalion posted some nice info on Dual Classing her, I'm really lacking knowledge in that area
  • AlsnAlsn Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2012
    @Debaser, mastery(three pips) is much better than a third point in dual weapon style. Dual weapon will give you another 2 thac0 with your offhand, but mastery will give you another 2 thac0 with *any* hand(as long as you are using that weapon type) as well as an increase of 1 damage. So go *** Dagger and only then *** two-weapon style(and even then, **** dagger is probably better than *** two-weapon style too, although that's arguable since it's only 1 damage).

I agree though, spreading proficiencies out like that is really annoying. I raged and shadowkeepered her instantly.

Edit: For dualing, dual at fighter 7, it gives you another 1/2 attack and you can still hit 8 thief. You would be able to place the fourth pip when you hit level 8 as a thief, or if you want to "game" the system, do not level her up past level 3 thief until you can get level 8 where you would regain her fighter abilities and be allowed to place your two pips from thief 4 and 8 "on top" of your old fighter pips.

Edit2: It still really annoys me that she doesn't come with ** long sword ** two weapon fighting though, or just ** dagger ** two-weapon fighting.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    My personal opinion: LOL dagger what?! *uses NearInfinity to change it to long sword* okay much better :)

Still totally workable but yeah, a liiiiittle weird.
    Alsn said:

Edit: For dualing, dual at fighter 7, it gives you another 1/2 attack and you can still hit 8 thief. You would be able to place the fourth pip when you hit level 8 as a thief, or if you want to "game" the system, do not level her up past level 3 thief until you can get level 8 where you would regain her fighter abilities and be allowed to place your two pips from thief 4 and 8 "on top" of your old fighter pips.

Ohhh wow! Amazing hahaha why didn't I think of that.
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    dualling her at 6/9 gets the x4 backstab though. If you are using her for traps/locks and straight melee then it does not matter, but if you are using her mainly for backstab then i prefer dualling at 6.

Dagger are not too bad for her. You can end up backstabbing for 60 with a dagger when she is well buffed. Longswords will do 70 or so. You can get high mastery in either, or you can get mastery in staves.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited December 2012
    I actually kind of like that... Give her Longsword +2 from Greywolf in main hand and Dagger of Venom in off-hand.. its when they add a crossbow pip a later level that its really stupid.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm gonna have her dual wield daggers as a Fighter. Just because she's that tough.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    @Quartz @Lemernis @hzf @EnterHaerDalis @Alsn @Elender - I'm fine with Dagger over longsword since no one really uses daggers and there are a couple GREAT options in the game. I'm tempted to Shadowkeeper the + in longsword to ++ in Daggers just so she can stick with a good weapon option. Then she can use Throwing Knives too for ranged. I see the merit in the 1/2 attack at 7. I think it would make more sense if she started off with just ++++ in sword or dagger...like she used to. I think they figured that the cat was out of the bag and "everyone" duals her to thief so they were trying to keep her from being cheesy. But...she's not that powerful IMO, there really isn't another NPC who is GREAT at backstabs, or even competent.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    The other thing is she was the one NPC who could get to Grand Mastery...that was kind of her appeal...considering her low Con, she can't tank after all.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I gave her ++ in Scimitars/wakazi/ninjato's

I really don't like splitting up proficiency's when dual wielding.. Screw that Crossbow/Dagger/Longsword jack of all trades shit
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Deciding on the (more numerous and specific) weapon proficiencies was always going to be problematic and open to debate. It was the same for BG:Tutu IMO.
    Debaser said:

there really isn't another NPC who is GREAT at backstabs, or even competent.

*Cough* Montaron.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Quartz said:

Debaser said:

*Cough* Montaron.
    Only with the Gauntlets of Ogre Power;)))

bengoshi said:

Quartz said:

Debaser said:

*Cough* Montaron.
    Only with the Gauntlets of Ogre Power;)))

Let's re-read what I responded to shall we?

"there really isn't another NPC who is GREAT at backstabs, or even competent."

Montaron with his natural 16 Strength - competent.
    Montaron with Gauntlets of Ogre Power - GREAT.

Let's not twist meanings. Thanks.