Skip to content

VMware Fusion 5.02 w/ BGEE

TaigeTaige Member Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Mac OS X (Archive)
I grew tired of waiting today, since it looks like the Mac version won't be available until after the new year, so I bought the Windows version of BGEE today.

Everything looks very good, right up until you get into the actual game. The screen shows all the bar elements and icons on the left, bottom, and right, but the center window doesn't have any background, it's all just black. I can see my character and other characters on the screen, and when I hover over an area that should contain a door, it highlights blue.

So, this is the new expert mode? (Just kidding, but I'm certain it would be challenging)

Before I bought BGEE, I did a search in the forum for "VMware Fusion" (without quotes) and it didn't come back with anything. After I ran into this problem, I did a google search including terms like Baldurs Gate VMware and no background, and found a post in another forum here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8348/vmware-graphic-bug-no-background-map

So, it looks like this was a known issue, but a normal forum search didn't turn it up.

So far, I've been unable to get it to work with VMware or CrossOver....
Post edited by Taige on

Comments

• oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    edited December 2012
    Well BG:EE is running fine here on an iMac i5 ATI Radeon HD 5670, VMware Fusion 5.0.2 and Windows 7 (don't think it's up to date).

I'm wondering if it's a VMWare issue or a windows issue. Have you tried to search the bug without VMware and only windows ?

About the forum search, it's lousy I know and a advanced search has already been requested.
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2012
    I run BGEE with PlayOnMac with my MBA, wich has a NVIDIA, i think you can't run the windows version with an intel graphic, even on mac, and nor with the emulated graphic card by VMWare
  • TaigeTaige Member Posts: 3
    My mac is a mid-level mini from last year, so it has dedicated ATI HD 6630M graphics, not Intel. There isn't much in the way of video settings in VMware Fusion to adjust things. (Turning off 3D doesn't work)

My Windows 7 installation is 64 bit and it was originally a Bootcamp install that I converted to a VM.

I did look for the symptoms without VMware, but didn't see a match, but I didn't look long, especially once I spotted the VMware issue that looks to be an exact match.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to the native Mac version.
  • WolvssWolvss Member Posts: 6
    I had exactly the same problem with VMWare 5 and Windows 7 - I now regret upgrading from version 3 to version 5. I couldn't find anything on the forums when I looked.

I downloaded a 28 day trial of Parallels 8 (I figured that was enough to get me through until the Mac version was released) and that works fine.

Given the only thing I changed was VMWare (to Parallels) I figure it's a problem with VMWare.
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    When you use VMWare, it doesn't use your graphic card's driver, but a emulated one, wich is not compatible with the openGL version BGEE use. I had exactly the same problem, but if you have a ATI or NVIDIA, you shoud be able to run it through PlayOnMac, just with copy/paste your VMWare BGEE folder into your mac and select the exe, but not the launcher. Also use the gdi display, not the opengl. You should be able to run it.
  • rockrock Member Posts: 1
    same symptoms (black background), using latest VMWare w/ WinXP on mid 2012 MBA with intel HD 3000