Skip to content

bard blade cannot cast with chain or leather

alanandalanand Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
the bard description describes the bard as being able to cast with chain or lesser armor on ,but you cannot cast the mage spells with armor on.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I don't see where you got that? Manual maybe?
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    It only says "May not wear armor heavier than Chainmail."
    Else the rule for any arcane spellcaster applies, so they can't wear any armor, when casting (other than robes). Yet they are usually given - but only in BG2 currently - special armor or elven chain, which enables the casting ability.
    In BGEE the only existent Elven Chain doesn't drop...if you don't wanna "cheat".
  • ahh ok i guess i did not realize the dnd rules... i was sure that bards were diffrent than mages when casting and able to cast with armor. im tempted to play old BG to support my initial guess. Maybe more people can comment. im wondering if its a bug still. I think Im going to start a regular bard and not a blade to defend my guess that bards are suppose to cast with armor on... the bug maybe within blades and or other bard kits and not regular bard.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    No, Garrick cannot cast in armor either. Not even in vanilla bg1.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @alanand: no, it's also true in original BG - Bards can wear armour up to Chainmail, but have to take it off to cast. That's the intended behaviour. The only exception is (very rare) Elven Chainmail, which can be worn even while casting, and is thereby a great benefit for Bards (and for Fighter/Mages etc.)

There was a bug when BG:EE came out which prevented us getting the only Elven Chainmail in BG:EE (a drop during the fight where Dorn first joins us). I gather that's now been fixed, but of course too late for those of us who started at release and were already past that fight before it was fixed.

(Perhaps the devs might like to consider including a later Elven Chainmail for those of us who missed out by being past that fight before the fix. Add it to the shop in Ulgoth's Beard, perhaps? That wouldn't be unbalancing for other players.)