Skip to content

Get BGEE working on every system - Use VMWare Player

DaemondevirDaemondevir Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
edited December 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi everybody,

at first, sorry for my bad english. As one of the poor BG Players with an Intel Graphics Adapter and Windows 8 I was reading all your posts and investigating all the time, to find a way how get BGEE working on my laptop. If my understanding was right, the problem is in almost every case the graphics card Driver and so Support for OpenGL 2.0. Affected are mostly Intel based Systems. My Picture was looking like this:

Picture: http://www.seizewell.de/downloads/bgee1.jpg

Last night I had the idea to try it with a virtual machine, because a virtual machine uses it´s own graphics Card.
So I tried to set up a virtual machine with XP SP3 on it and it worked. I copied over the BGEE folder to Drive C of the virtual machine, installed the latest Direct X and OpenAL and it´s working. ( of course I also installed the VMWare Tools which contains the driver for the graphics adapter of the virtual machine ).

If you guys decide to try it with a virtual machine, just make sure that you have enough system resources and a valid XP License.
Maybe it´s not a "forever"-solution but for the time being it´s good and I can play the game on my Laptop as well. I still hope that there will be a permanent solution for this Problem. :-)

Picture: http://www.seizewell.de/downloads/bgee2.jpg

Greetings from Germany and have Fun with BGEE. I still love it...

Comments

• RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    Excellent idea, sir! Kudos. I shall have to see if Oracle VirtualBox works as well.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    A bit more info on VMPlayer:

'3D Graphics Improvements for Windows XP guests — OpenGL 2.1 and Shader Model 3.0 support is now available for Windows XP virtual machines. The XPDM (SVGAII) graphics driver works with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. However, only Windows XP virtual machines install the XPDM graphics driver by default.'

Also, you may find that your host PC doesn't have the grunt to run a virtual PC. For reasonable performance you'll need to allocate 1Gb RAM to a Windows XP virtual macine and 2Gb RAM to a Windows 7 virtual machine.

Another possibility is Microsoft's Virtual PC which is FoC. If you can get the Virtual PC 2007 version then use it, otherwise Virtual PC 2004 may be okay. Neither seems to be available directly from MS so you may have to use another download site (plenty of them).

@rythgar Oracle VirtualBox is a horrible piece of software that should have been strangled at birth. If it doesn't work first time, I suggest you give up there and then.

-Y- (vCenter, LabManager and vCloud administrator)