Skip to content

Quayle's starting spells... Spoiler

OKAY so this is weird, although it may have always been like this... as I have never really used Quayle before... but I'm not sure...

Mine starts with Horror and Larloch's Minor Drain... which is Necromancy, and he's an illusionist. Is this a bug, or just a quirk of his (other characters have quirks, this is a good one for horror). if this IS just a quirk, then can we increase it a little by giving him skull trap too?
elminster

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Giving him skull trap wouldn't be a quirk, that'd just take away any disadvantages of an illusionist in bg1.
    XavioriaThe_New_Romance
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    stygga said:

Giving him skull trap wouldn't be a quirk, that'd just take away any disadvantages of an illusionist in bg1.

Vampiric Touch is an awesome spell and not one to lose. Also Spirit Armor.

But look... the guy's sitting at a strength too low to hold even a mace, and a wisdom no Priest would even WANT, let him have SOMETHING beyond an OP multiclass that has no stats to use itself well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Yea I found this was the case as well.

Xavioria
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Dazzu said:

stygga said:

Vampiric Touch is an awesome spell and not one to lose. Also Spirit Armor.

But look... the guy's sitting at a strength too low to hold even a mace, and a wisdom no Priest would even WANT, let him have SOMETHING beyond an OP multiclass that has no stats to use itself well.
    He can't hold a mace true, but why would you care about this given that he is clearly not an up close fighter?

17 intelligence is the average intelligence of the mages in the game (which is what he has). Quayle is an awesome spellcaster. His ability to cast mage spells makes up for the small amount of spells he loses out on due to his low wisdom (16 wisdom is the highest any joinable NPC gets and it only provides level 1 and 2 bonuses). The fact that you don't get him until you are outside Baldur's Gate also means that he is capable of casting a lot of spells by the time you get him.
    badbromanceQuartz
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Speaking of NPC spellbooks, I always though Dynaheir started with fireball pre-learned?
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    She has to be level 5+ to have Fireball learned
    elminsterJaxsbudgie
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I just thought it was interesting, and perhaps skull trap would be a bit too OP, but hey, one can dream, right? I think it's awesome this game added in some quirks to Quayle, him having Horror just adds to his ability as a spellcaster IMO, and, at least a little bit, makes up for him having low wisdom
    elminster
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    It's always been that way guys. In the original game he also got Larloch's and Horror. I reported that oversight and it was never fixed. I believe giving him Spook was supposed to say "hey look, he has a similar spell to Horror without having Horror" but they forgot to go back and remove Horror ... that's my theory anyway.

Also, to Quayle haters: You are great at ignoring facts. 16 Dex is fine, 17 Int is fine. Cleric/Illusionist is amazing. Throw him a Ring of Wizardry and the Ring of Holiness and he can cast more spells per day at level cap than even Edwin + Ring of Wizardry.
    GrandeCelminsterXavioriacory5694
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I'm using him in my main party right now, because I like that blend of magic user... and i find mage spells more useful than priest ones so IMO, it's fine that his wisdom is low (although i would prefer it to be higher). Aerie has 16 in wisdom AND intelligence, so I don't see his low wisdom as a balancing factor... but then again... maybe it is because the characters in the second game need to be able to keep up with higher levels so w/e
    elminster
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    Xavioria said:

but then again... maybe it is because the characters in the second game need to be able to keep up with higher levels so w/e

Notice how any and all of the NPCs in BGII who came from BG1 were buffed. (Exception: Imoen. Her stats were already godly and OP) So ... yes, you are correct. :)

Viconia: +3 Wisdom
    Jaheira: +3 Dexterity
    Minsc: +1 Dexterity, +1 Constitution
    Edwin: +1 Strength, +1 Wisdom

A lot of people overlook Edwin's buffs ... but truth be told those 9s ->10s were actually somewhat helpful. His Strength increasing means carrying weight goes from 50 to 70. His Wisdom increase means no -10 Lore penalty.

-----

Also, on a personal level, Aerie's 16 Intelligence annoys the crap out of me. 16 is just too damn low.
    elminster
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    To be honest, you don't really need a high intelligence. Lore is pretty much useless. The percentage to learn spells can be circumvented by temporarily decreasing the difficulty to Novice for 100% learn rate. They've removed what the maximum spell level you can reach the only thing Intelligence does now is how many spells per level you can learn. Even at the lowest intelligence for a mage of 9, you can still learn up to 6 spells which is enough.

Wisdom however should be buffed to the highest possible I feel to obtain the highest number of spells that you can cast a day.