Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 2: The Movie

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
It has been dreamt of before but a Baldur's Gate movie would be great. The original game is too empty to be a movie, but the second would be a breeze.

I reckon Gary Waldhorn would make a great Jon Irenicus (search his name if you don't know who he is). Looks like him and sounds like him, but he's a little old.

I was considering putting work into making a 'cartoon' version for my own enjoyment, but a proper movie would be great.

Somebody empty their pockets for this now.

Comments

• SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    One can only dream.Though if this ever comes to pass, they better NOT skimp out on the magic effects, if I cannot see Irenicus and other mages at their flasy-fullness, then I shalt not see it at all!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    If Sir Peter Jackson does it then yes.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I rather see these guys. make a great Dragonlance game, after BG3:P
  • yazgangyazgang Member Posts: 41
    It has been dreamt of before but a Baldur's Gate movie would be great. The original game is too empty to be a movie, but the second would be a breeze.
    the original game is much more deeper for a movie.

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    I wish that Uwe Boll will produce this movie.....
    Post edited by mch202 on
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I always chuckle when people cry for a film and then cite Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson... These guys do films they want to do, and I am not sure they would want to do a Baldur's gate, lol.

I second a dragonlance game. I always keep thinking how cool it would be if it had flight physics, thermals, weather, the lancing and maneuvering... the feeling of being atop a living creature.
    but Peter Jackson is not Ridley Scott who f***** up prometheus and the expectations behind it.. And Jacksons + point is WETA!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    edited July 2012
    The bar for a Baldur's Gate movie is set ridiculously high, so the devs had better have the final word on the script, and the script had better be very faithful to the original synopsis. Even dialogues should be left to the original Baldur's Gate writers, and I think I needn't specify that all original voice actors from Baldur's Gate should voice characters regardless of the actors involved (which would likely make most already successful actors refuse the part). Michael Hoeing should be the composer, but that also goes without saying.

I don't know... A well done Baldur's Gate movie would rock absolutely, but the chances to screw it up are incredibly high because such is the quality of the game in the first place.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I don't really feel like a movie is a very good medium for a story like this. I mean, one of the good things about the game is that you do have a certain degree with the choices you make, including the ending. When you consider how much Jackson took out of LOTR in order to make it fit into 3 movies it doesn't seem worth it.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    After the catastrophic novel there should never be a BG movie.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    I can see it now, like a cross between:

and
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    There's no actor to play as Irenicus, no one has enough charisma
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

@Space_hamster like a cross between red cross and red cross???

• AniosAnios Member Posts: 91
    A well done Baldur's Gate movie would rock absolutely, but the chances to screw it up are incredibly high because such is the quality of the game in the first place.
    Yeah like it happens for D&D, some sort. :x

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I swear to god it can be done well, it just has to be done by somebody who knows their shit! Xd
  • WazDuluthWazDuluth Member Posts: 8
    Nah dude. Movie would not do justice. If you pulled out a series then hell yeah. Make it a HBO series and I'm there. Look what they did with Game of Thrones, I mean that is baller.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    This is the kind of movie that I would like to see an indie studio make, and in a form that is strongly stylized and artistic. Look at what a wonder "300" was, for example. Just sayin' that with solid CGI, a really up-and-coming young director, and a really good screenplay, it could end up being be a cult classic. Anyway, I'd go want to see the filmmakers go a little outside of the box with it.

And it would have to have Mickey Rourke in it, lol. That's a must.
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    I think that Johnny Depp is the perfect actor for the role of Irenicus and Mickey Rourke is perfect for Sarevok
    @Bastion72

Johnny Depp? Oh no... not another Johnny Depp Action Flick. I changed my mind I don't need a movie. No thought who this Mickey Rourke guy is but he's big enough to be S.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The original game is too empty to be a movie
    I call bs. You only think it's empty because the script doesn't hand you tons of party interjections. Creative license is an absolute must either way!

• willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
    Omg, a movie would be so good. I always think about the last fight of Baldurs gate one and image it as a cartoon/movie. it would be so hectic. i really wouldn't care who the actors/ actresses are it would just be so good :D
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    Movie , most of time they will mess up the original material pretty bad . Just look at super hero movie
    @Dazzu

That's right man. No dialogue, no movie. You can't make a movie where they run around the wilderness killing badgers. That'd be a fun action movie but if you want a story then you'd have to spice it up a little along the way.

As in you'd have to put something between the Friendly Arm Inn and Nashkel. The game isn't presentable as a movie because you're basicly like "Okay, go here. Okay done, go here. Okay now kill stuff in the Nashkel mines."
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    You're missing the point I was trying to make. If you think you can just take the game script, slap it into a bunch of actors dressed like LARPers and expect a quality movie, you'll be sorely disappointed.

You improvise the script, adding characterization as you go, maybe new plotpoints and story elements.

Look at comicbook movies. Do any of them follow the dialogue of the comics they take from? No.

There is a lot to learn about script writing and storytelling.
  • MerlettMerlett Member Posts: 1
    I wish that Uwe Boll will produce this movie.....
    Hasn´t Mr. Boll ruined enough Game-Movies? That would be horrible!
    Let Mr. Boll play the first smashed gibberling
  • xan212xan212 Member Posts: 65
    Yes :) Good idea!
    But i think about Drizzt... Why not in film? In D&D world! Many books... so... we have script!
    then let mighty Drizzt or Wulfgar smash Uwe boll as the gibberling chief in the prologue:D
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    @odee You are right man. Like it was with the prince of persia movie. I dont say it was bad in fact i enjoyed it but it had nothing to do with the game's story.