Skip to content

Raising the dead: Price increase? / Where to find identify scroll?

I've paid only 100 gp to raise one of my characters from the dead and then another required a 200 gp price tag. If the same character keeps dying does the cost continue to increase? What is the extra 100 gp cost based on?

Also I've picked up some magic items and I'd like to be able to identify them. Where can I procure an identify scroll?

And finally.. where to procure light armor for a wild mage and then for a thief?

Comments

• topslop1topslop1 Member Posts: 8
    And yet another question.. When my characters say 'I need rest' because I have been traveling from place to place on the map.. do they actually need me to click on the rest button to give them rest? Do they suffer penalties from not resting after lots of travel? What are they if they do?
    Is there also a link to the pdf of Baldurs Gate manual? I feel as though I might be asking questions that would be answered if I read the manual
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The lower your reputation, the more things will cost. This includes temple services.

You can buy Identify scrolls at High Hedge, just west of Beregost.

Mages can't wear armor. You can buy leather and studded leather armor for your thief at Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost.

Yes, you actually need to rest in order to get rid of fatigue. Exhausted characters receive -1 to all their rolls for every four hours they go without rest.

If you have the PC version, the manuals are in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Manuals.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Several factors. Character level, current reputation, AND the alignment of the priest vs the character being raised matters a lot. A good priest will charge a ridiculous amount to raise an evil character, even with high rep, but will give a huge discount for the same alignment.
    Question on the fatigue: Is there a way to see how many hours you are fatigued other than just hearing your characters complain?
    It only hits every 24 hours since your last rest. So you shouldn't ever have more then a -1 penalty, unless you're just dead set on never resting.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

It only hits every 24 hours since your last rest. So you shouldn't ever have more then a -1 penalty, unless you're just dead set on never resting.

Or travel REALLY far and get amushed near your destination. I forget if it was BG2 or one of the IWD games, but I distinctly remember traveling across the map, getting jumped, and having my fighters continually critical-missing due to extreme fatigue. I literally couldn't land a hit, and had to rely on spells.

• DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @ZanathKariashi: it's also depends on CON - someone with low CON like Shar-Teel (7 with the claw...) will get fatigued a lot faster than, say, Edwin of Imoen with their 16 CON.

@Madhax: as far as I can tell, in BGEE/BG1/BG2, the penalties aren't nearly as severe, or are simply buggy - I ofter had characters accumulate days of fatigue and a buttload of combat, and still... they seemed to only have a -1 roll penalty (aka goodbye critical hits, hello twice as much critical misses and other fun stuff)

IWD however was balls out insane about fatigue, it hit soon, and it hit *hard*... and got worse every 4 hours. cast a haste spell on a fatigued character (equivalent of 24 hours of activity), and when it's done, you'll be making all your rolls with the butt-clenching penalty of *-7*.
    edited January 2013
    High Con only increases your maximum stamina, which decreases per hour, and once you're fatigued, it continues to accrue at the same rate as everyone else. So yes, it does take you a little longer to get fatigued, but once there, you're penalized at the same rate as everyone else.

Though yes...I actually wouldn't mind IWD's rest penalties. It's kind of annoying in a way that the least Roleplaying of the bunch (It's more dungeon crawler, with some thrown in, then epic saga), implemented a lot of the PnP rules more closely (and fixed the R/C exploit)...except Bards...as much as I love bards, IWD Bards are WAY more powerful then they should be.....on the other hand...I suppose not implementing Non-combat proficiencies did screw bards quite a bit....putting points in certain non-combat proficiencies greatly expanded their list of abilities beyond what BG allows. So maybe giving them a few OP songs was an ok trade off (though the up to 8th lvl spell casting...where on earth did THAT come from? I can't find an optional rule for that anywhere)