Skip to content

Staff of The Magi, Disable Effects.

Greetings, I recently acquired a weapon called the staff of the magi, it is a (very) significant upgrade from my +1 quarterstaff and I wish to continue to use it for now.

However when it is equipped it causes my character to sort of glow then fade. Is there anyway to stop this?
If the only way to stop it to remove that effect from the game entirely could somebody instruct me on how to do so?

Exceeding Thanks Upon You!

Comments

• BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    Isn't Staff of the Magi exclusivly in BG2?.....
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The Staff of the Magi makes its user invisible whilst it's equipped, so I guess that's what the glow-and-fade effect is trying to illustrate.

But indeed, it's meant to be a BG2-only item (and darn difficult to get even in BG2). Have you cheated it into BG:EE?
  • LaicamirLaicamir Member Posts: 16
    No I was playing the second game, Is there a way to remove the invisibility for the item?
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I should think so with Near Infinity.
    SpaceInvader
    I shall look into that, Thank You!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    just perform an action (talk, cast a spell, attack) and the invisibility goes away.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It's because of the permanent Protection from evil
    Oh, that may be why removing invisibility didn't fix it!
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    In my opinion Staff of the Magi is among the cheesiest weapon available in BG2.
    You are doing the right thing by removing the invis. effect from the weapon.
    Well it all works now, No invisibility and no odd effects. Its still a big upgrade on my old staff :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You upgraded from a +1 quaterstaff to the most powerful magic staff in any D&D universe ever?
    Congratulations.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    Laicamir said:

Greetings, I recently acquired a weapon called the staff of the magi, it is a (very) significant upgrade from my +1 quarterstaff and I wish to continue to use it for now.

However when it is equipped it causes my character to sort of glow then fade. Is there anyway to stop this?
    If the only way to stop it to remove that effect from the game entirely could somebody instruct me on how to do so?

Exceeding Thanks Upon You!

get DLTCEP, you can mod effects with that. install it, set it up, etc, then...
    go to edit -> items, browse one you want, then look under equipped effects, that's where visual effects are stored.

you'll need an effect list to find out what's what, and because gibberling3 is currently offline, use the archived version here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20101022034745/http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/opcodes/bg2tob.htm

modify/remove whichever you want to.

happy hunting!
    I have already managed to do it with the other program but thanks anyway!
    ajwz said:

You upgraded from a +1 quaterstaff to the most powerful magic staff in any D&D universe ever?
    Congratulations.

It's the best one?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    the other "best staff" is the staff of ram+6 for fighters
    Flashburn
    Ah, this this one is good for a sorcerer?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Staff of the magi is literally the best staff in the realms. Probably the best staff in any setting. I believe it counts as an artifact.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    OR thieves (Highest base damage, awesome for BS)...even swashbucklers..since 10 attacks (with WWA) with the SotR is better then any DW combo, especially with their extra damage bonus.

Though yes, the Staff of the Magi is the best for mage/sorcs. While it pales in comparison to it's PnP version, it's still hands down the best staff for a mage/sorc in the game. Back before ToB, it was the only way to cast spell trap without casting from a scroll (of which there were only a handful), but staff version kicks the spell's ass since it lasts 8 hours and absorbs 30 spell levels (Which also restore your used up spells).

The at-will invisibility, permanent PfE, +2 AC/Saves on top of that, immune to charm, a Fire-lightning bolt 3/day (fires a lightning bolt that explodes into a fireball when it hits an enemy), the spell trap thing, and dispels on hit as if cast by a lvl 20 caster..and hits as if +5, so it can strike anything.

It's like wearing an entire suit of gear in your weapon slot....+ it stacks with any other gear you're wearing.
    Well it's a nice thing to have then :)