Skip to content

Anything new coming back to the PC side?

It looks like 100% of any benefits to modding are going in one direction.

Devs or modders: Is there any benefit coming to the pc side of modding? How about some of the hardcoded issues ToBEx hasn't worked around? A list of effects parameters forthcoming, surely? Tools? Bueller?

Comments

• TimTim Member Posts: 38
    I don't understand the intention of your Post honestly.

All mods so far are for the BGEE PC Version. Also you have an extreme variety of mods out there. Gui Mods, NPC Mods, Kit Mods and so on.

Why should anyone bother to patch the Engine when Beamdog is releasing Patch after Patch? Let Beamdog "finish" their work, then you can shout at the modders to do something ;)
    Ogaburan
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    I kinda agree with technophobe on one aspect... that we should start modding before we lose the momentum...

I mean, there are other good RPG games such as Skyrim that offer vastly improved moddability that even average player can either find mod at mod workshop or create a mod, the only reason we play BGEE is probably due to nostalgia and I guess there are a few player who haven't heard a thing called BGtutu...

BGEE is up against some stiff competition and I believe unless Overhaul do something new in fundamental way (e.g. mod-friendly interface or removal of hard-coded limit), interest in BGEE may not last long...

TOBex I believe is definitely a good direction one can take to expand the current mod scene before people kinda start to get bored...
  • secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    BG modding is not going anywhere. Its been going for 16 years. Without BG modding, BGEE -would not exist-. There is zero danger of anything like that happening. Rather, I would say - THANK YOU MODDERS FOR YOUR DECADE AND A HALF OF HARD WORK!
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I must've been very unclear.

When BGEE was announced, one of the only benefits touted for PC gamers was that moddability would be enhanced as well. So far, nothing has come back. There's nothing new for PC modders (outside of insignificant GUI stuff). Is there some reason they can't get with guys like Igi and help out with IESDP? Is there some reason they can't get with guys like Wisp and make NI better?

If you aren't a modder or dev and you're still confused (i.e. a consumer), save everyone time and don't respond.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    A bunch of things have been externalised to make adding animations easier, sound has been reworked for easier installation of sound by mods, things we didn't understand previously have been explained, the tileset format has been drastically improved, they've fixed bugs with commands to ensure things work more smoothly in future, and there are many more plans for improvements across the board to make things simpler.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting a "toolset" to make things easier, but it's not that simple due to the way the Baldur's Gate engine works.

The MAIN issue is that at its core, BG was never meant to be a modded platform, and to change that would require a really drastic rethink and rewrite of the engine. There is only so much the developers *can* actually do. Could they do more than they have done? Sure, if they had the time, but they were on a very limited schedule with a very complex project. They've got more features to make things simpler at a game level on the agenda, and if nothing else, you can trust us (the modders) when we say we'll keep them to that.

The team do actually understand how important modding is to the community, but you have to understand that even if modding is super important, making the game work at a basic level is way more important.
    neoesprit
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68

Animations? Who's making new animations and fretting about the previous limit? BD needed the modders from France to teach them how to improve BAMs, ffs. Did they put in any new ones (CRE+anim) that we can use?

Sounds? Last time I checked, sounds weren't a problem at all; even OGGs are usable. Unless you're talking about sounds attached to (new) creatures, which is about as significant as the animations (not at all).

Tilesets are great, but area making is still a pain in the ass. Hardly worth the mention but at least the trend continues.

Who's foolishly suggesting a toolset? BD can't even be arsed to make their own, and apparently don't care to help improve the ones available, since you're deliberately ignoring the two major mod resources I specifically mentioned.

The rest of your post is just apologist dreck. This place is as myopic as it gets.
    Ogaburan
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Careful with your tone, @technophobe. Kaeloree answered your question fairly and politely; insulting him won't get you anywhere.
    Illustair
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    The issue is likely that right now, although externalization of animations is done, i think it doesn't work correctly.

Some animations crash the game even with ctrl+7 console command, without even importing anything.

I guess the possibilities with this are endless, since we might even see new animations for players some day, although i think it's not fair to expect everything from modders.

The game indeed said would be more mod friendly, in a way it is, but mods of the past don't work yet, and i can understand why people can be frustrated.

I hope that given time, things will fall in place smoothly and BG:EE (and BG2:EE) will be much richer experiences through modding.
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76

Animations? Who's making new animations and fretting about the previous limit? BD needed the modders from France to teach them how to improve BAMs, ffs. Did they put in any new ones (CRE+anim) that we can use?

Sounds? Last time I checked, sounds weren't a problem at all; even OGGs are usable. Unless you're talking about sounds attached to (new) creatures, which is about as significant as the animations (not at all).

Tilesets are great, but area making is still a pain in the ass. Hardly worth the mention but at least the trend continues.

Who's foolishly suggesting a toolset? BD can't even be arsed to make their own, and apparently don't care to help improve the ones available, since you're deliberately ignoring the two major mod resources I specifically mentioned.

The rest of your post is just apologist dreck. This place is as myopic as it gets.

And what did you bring to the table other than your waffleing and complaining. Nothing I see, no soundsets, no portraits just another complaining leacher. Take your banter elsewhere at least others just use what they have got available to them.

Ive been trying to mod another game for years called Myth II soulblighter, Its Sprites and animations are not meant to be modded and yet this game has over a thousand different mods (search for a website called the Tain)

That said im trying to find some native American sounds to create my own soundset.

Illustair
  • mike_doommike_doom Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

Speaking of mods, something i'd love to try and get to work or someone to rebuild for this new engine, is IE Tileset Map Editor. http://www.gameapps.com/ietme.htm.

I've talked to the Dev but hes too busy with his current software company to continue development however he didn't seem to object to anyone picking up where he left off.

I'd love to see this working for the new engine along with a few of the other TEAMBG tools. I made a completely new game out of the infinity engine back in the days I generated many gigs of new tile sets, terrain new sounds that I was quite proud of - I would love to do it again and see it perhaps on an ipad or android device in future. I love this engine... But can't do much with the latest engine.

If anyone is up for the task and understands how to build tools for this engine please hit me up!

If this is not the place for such a query perhaps i'll take it up with team bg directly and try and get them the source of some of these great tools..