Skip to content

Virtual Box problems

Hey guys,

I'm facing problems with intel hardware much as everybody here, so I tried to run BGEE through a virtual machine.

I'm running virtualbox within ubuntu 12.04, then I created a XP drone.
In this moment my openGL was still 1.1, and neither the movies nor the game worked.

So I installed the guest addition
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-guest-addons.html

Now, my video drive changed, and my openGL has been updated to 2.1, and the intro movie works perfectly (it is imperative to say that they change the CG but kept the sound, what a great surprise!)

My main problem now starts when I run the game, (after several minutes rolling dice) although spells and movements work just fine, I discover that I cant see the cenario, as does my attach file shows to you.

Does anyone has some clue?

Comments

• RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    Give it a try in VMWare Player, see if that changes anything.

Have you turned on the various accelerators in VirtualBox? It could perhaps just be a matter of playing with the various settings.
  • SrBeholderSrBeholder Member Posts: 6
    So Rythgar,

I do not have licence to run VMWare, is there any free to use?

In my Virtual Box I could found two video options:

2d acceleration
    3d acceleration

Both must be enabled in order to the game start. Did I miss anything?
  • tomty89tomty89 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2013
    2d shouldn't be needed, it should be only for video playback...but um...if you say so.

My suggestion is you should try it in Wine first. Just copy the whole installation to Ubuntu and run baldur.exe in "data" folder. If it doesn't work too, it would probably be even harder for the VM to have it work.

Some say you would need Wine 1.5, Mesa 9, Ubuntu 12.10.

In my opinion, the graphical implementation of BGEE is not really that good. Kind of "sensitive" and "fragile".

By the way, is it the fact that you can see nothing in the game? Or you can see those character dolls but just that you move to some where that there is no (N)PC at all?

P.S. VMWare Player should be a freeware. But I don't know if it got a Linux version or if you can use it to install a Windows VM yourself.
  • SrBeholderSrBeholder Member Posts: 6
    As for what you said, I tried again running the game without 2d option, and you are right, it works.

About the background, it is always black, but whenever I command my pc to move, the (n)pc became visible,

About wine: I tried not just wine, but playonlinux (a wine facade), I found two problems:
    - Same black background (although the characters were visible all of time)
    - Game's save goes to a place that the game were not able to find in order to load!

According to my ubuntu central software I must pay to used it, but I have not look on internet to be assure. I shall take this into consideration, Im going to look for it.
  • tomty89tomty89 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2013
    So now you can play it with VBox, right? Good to hear that.

Are you using a 64bit Ubuntu? From what I've heard it might be the fact that you could only run BGEE in Wine with a 32bit Linux installation. Since I've got difficulty to get the game again (extremely slow torrent), I can't prove it. Maybe you can test that. It's possible that you could get better performance than using a VM.

About the save issue, I think it's not that it place it in a wrong place. If you go into the folder of the save (not the "save" folder), you should be able to see that the save is not done.

It's kind of the same issue as this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27911
    The "easiest fix for save game bug" workaround here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=408 works for me in BGEE, AFAIR. But you may find that it's not perfect.
    The weird thing is, somehow the problem is gone for me without any fix or workaround in BG2, yet it happens in BGEE.

About the paying, are you talking about VMWare? Make sure what you are looking at is "VMWare Player". Anyway, I am not so sure about it. But hey, why not stick to the open source stuff?