Skip to content

Headbomb's big list of weapons and items issues [Part 5]

HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
edited January 2013 in Fixed
I'm finally home after a week, and with a new version of NI, so here's part 5

AMUL15
* Description mentions: "Range 0" and "Area of Effect: The wearer", which seem kinda weird/redundant to me, given that right above you have "Casts the spell Shield on the wearer".
* Magical effects seems to have some duplication in them. Two AC bonuses, 2 Play sounds, 2 Protection from Spells, 7 Set color glow pulses... Not necessarily a bug though.

AMUL17
* I believe spells are usually capitalized, and most of them aren't here. Also I don't think there's ever been an ESP spell in the BG series, so it seems a bit weird to mention it here.

AROW06
* I mentionned some problems with this one in [part 2], but I missed that this arrow seems to deal 0d2 + 6d6 (Save vs. Spell for half) instead of 1d6 + 6d6 (Save vs. Spell for half). You might want to change the description to simply "6d6 explosion upon impact (Save vs. Spell for half)" to reflect the behaviour, or make it 1d6 + 6d6 to match the description.

ARROW12
* Description says the duration is 20 seconds, behaviour is 60. Something is off here. Item is undroppable however.

AROW1A
* None of the other arrows have "Set color" global effect. This one has two. No idea what this stuff actually does, but I thought I'd point out the discrepancy.

AX1H07
* Mentionning the duration of the miscast effect (real time 100 seconds) in the description would be nice. Also 100 seconds seems like an odd duration.

BOOT12
* Duration of stoneskin would be nice to know in the description (real time 3600 seconds, in game 12 hours)

BPNOTE1
* There's a magical effect that does nothing on this item.

BULL09 / HAMM03
* One refers to "electricity damage" and the other "electrical damage". It should "electricity" for consistancy, I believe.

CLCK04
* Mentionning the Polymorph duration in the description would be nice (real time 120 seconds, in game 2 turns)

DART03
* Description says 7 rounds, behaviour is 45 seconds. Should be 42 seconds.

DART05
* Description should be updated from "Hit target takes 1 point of damage every 3 seconds up to a maximum of 40 or until a Cure Poison spell is cast on the target" to simply "Hit target takes 1 point of damage every 3 seconds for 40 seconds". First, because drinking an antidote should also remove the poison and no other poison effect specifically mentions that the damage lasts for a duration unless cured. Second because the original phrasing is ambiguous, and it's unclear whether it means up to 40 damage, or up to 40 seconds.

FIRESEED
* Description should mention that it's 2d8 (Save vs. Spell for half).

HELM18
* It might be better to say 2 Hit Points per turn instead of 2 Hit Points per minute.

MISC40 to MISC45 / MISC78 / MISC84
* There's a magical effect that does nothing on thiese item.

MISC75
* Description should be updated from "Hit target failing a Save vs. Poison suffers 1 point of poison damage per second up to a total of 15" to simply "Hit target failing a Save vs. Poison suffers 1 point of poison damage per second for 15 seconds" per same reasoning as above

NEBELT
* "deerhide" should probably be "deer hide"

POTN21
* "This feeling will last for the duration of the enchantment or until dispelled." should probably be replaced with "The effect lasts for 5 turns or until dispelled." per usual flavour text.

POTN36
* Description says the duration is 3 hours, which should be 900 real time seconds. Actual duration is 1260 seconds, which is corresponds to 4.2 hours.

WAND02
* Description says 15 rounds, duration is 100 real times seconds. 15 rounds is 90 real time seconds.

As a side question, why do items needs so many properties of "set color glow pulses" (AMUL15), "set color" (e.g. BOW01) properties, or "AC bonus" (e.g. LEAT09)?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Tagging @CamDawg for your post.
    Headbomb said:

AMUL15
    * Description mentions: "Range 0" and "Area of Effect: The wearer", which seem kinda weird/redundant to me, given that right above you have "Casts the spell Shield on the wearer".
    * Magical effects seems to have some duplication in them. Two AC bonuses, 2 Play sounds, 2 Protection from Spells, 7 Set color glow pulses... Not necessarily a bug though.

Changed "Casts the spell Shield on the wearer" to just say "Shield" (similar to wands).

The AC effects aren't duplicates. One sets the base AC to 4 and the other is a bonus of 2 against missile weapons, as per the spell.
    Headbomb said:

AMUL17
    * I believe spells are usually capitalized, and most of them aren't here. Also I don't think there's ever been an ESP spell in the BG series, so it seems a bit weird to mention it here.

The uncapitalized words are status effects, not spells (except psionics).
    Headbomb said:

AX1H07
    * Mentionning the duration of the miscast effect (real time 100 seconds) in the description would be nice. Also 100 seconds seems like an odd duration.

BOOT12
    * Duration of stoneskin would be nice to know in the description (real time 3600 seconds, in game 12 hours)

Done.
    Headbomb said:

BULL09 / HAMM03
    * One refers to "electricity damage" and the other "electrical damage". It should "electricity" for consistancy, I believe.

It's always "electrical damage." Done.
    Headbomb said:

CLCK04
    * Mentionning the Polymorph duration in the description would be nice (real time 120 seconds, in game 2 turns)

Done.
    Headbomb said:

DART05
    * Description should be updated from "Hit target takes 1 point of damage every 3 seconds up to a maximum of 40 or until a Cure Poison spell is cast on the target" to simply "Hit target takes 1 point of damage every 3 seconds for 40 seconds". First, because drinking an antidote should also remove the poison and no other poison effect specifically mentions that the damage lasts for a duration unless cured. Second because the original phrasing is ambiguous, and it's unclear whether it means up to 40 damage, or up to 40 seconds.

Asp's Nest currently does 2 damage per second instead of 1 damage every 3 seconds. @CamDawg?
    Headbomb said:

FIRESEED
    * Description should mention that it's 2d8 (Save vs. Spell for half).

Already done.
    Headbomb said:

HELM18
    * It might be better to say 2 Hit Points per turn instead of 2 Hit Points per minute.

Done.
    Headbomb said:

MISC75
    * Description should be updated from "Hit target failing a Save vs. Poison suffers 1 point of poison damage per second up to a total of 15" to simply "Hit target failing a Save vs. Poison suffers 1 point of poison damage per second for 15 seconds" per same reasoning as above

Went with "Hit target suffers 1 point of poison damage per second for 15 seconds (Save vs. Poison negates)."
    Headbomb said:

PTN21
    * "This feeling will last for the duration of the enchantment or until dispelled." should probably be replaced with "The effect lasts for 5 turns or until dispelled." per usual flavour text.

Assuming you mean POTN21, I replaced "duration of the enchantment with "5 turns," but I think "feeling" is okay since it's flavor text.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I like these threads when it's more @Jalily than me. I'll get to these in a bit, but for the specific question about Asp's Nest--it currently does 1 damage/second for 40 seconds (40 total damage) when it should be doing 1 damage/3 seconds over 120 seconds (still 40 total damage).

In the original BG items without headers couldn't be stacked, which is why you see so many of the old gems have the extraneous magical header. These are generally harmless.

For glow pulses, they just look cool. It's better feedback than an expiry sound and less annoying than a repeating animation.

I'm not sure why they chose to do item coloring via effects. There are something like 21 different coloring settings for a characters: a handful you get to pick at creation, a couple more you can change at any time via your inventory screen, and the remainder are usually set with these opcodes on your equipment.

And as for armor, you'll notice the first AC effect sets the base and then they typically get some extra bonuses/penalties against certain types of damage based on their armor type. Shields do something similar in that they give a bonus against all attacks and then use specific bonuses/penalties to get their overall protection correct. Large shields have a second AC bonus vs. missile (for large), small shields a penalty vs. missile, etc. to get it all worked out.
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    @Camdawg and @Jalily regarding AX1H07's 100 seconds duration. It's a rather odd duration, and I'm getting the feeling it was meant to be 1 turn / 10 rounds (same as the spell), rather than 100 seconds.
    Headbomb said:

AX1H07

Headbomb said:

@Camdawg and @Jalily regarding AX1H07's 100 seconds duration. It's a rather odd duration, and I'm getting the feeling it was meant to be 1 turn / 10 rounds (same as the spell), rather than 100 seconds.

Well, the problem with the arbitrary duration is that, without ay guidance, any change would be equally arbitrary.
    Headbomb said:

BPNOTE1
    * There's a magical effect that does nothing on this item.

DART03
    * Description says 7 rounds, behaviour is 45 seconds. Should be 42 seconds.

MISC40 to MISC45 / MISC78 / MISC84
    * There's a magical effect that does nothing on thiese item.

POTN36
    * Description says the duration is 3 hours, which should be 900 real time seconds. Actual duration is 1260 seconds, which is corresponds to 4.2 hours.

WAND02
    * Description says 15 rounds, duration is 100 real times seconds. 15 rounds is 90 real time seconds.

Fixed, with the exception of misc84 (Boo). The ability header allows Boo to show in Minsc's quick item bar in the main game screen even though he doesn't do anything.
    Headbomb said:

AROW06
    * I mentionned some problems with this one in [part 2], but I missed that this arrow seems to deal 0d2 + 6d6 (Save vs. Spell for half) instead of 1d6 + 6d6 (Save vs. Spell for half). You might want to change the description to simply "6d6 explosion upon impact (Save vs. Spell for half)" to reflect the behaviour, or make it 1d6 + 6d6 to match the description.

Damage is fixed.
    Headbomb said:

ARROW12
    * Description says the duration is 20 seconds, behaviour is 60. Something is off here. Item is undroppable however.

Yeah, these are the special poison arrows for hobgoblins so no changes here.
    Headbomb said:

AROW1A
    * None of the other arrows have "Set color" global effect. This one has two. No idea what this stuff actually does, but I thought I'd point out the discrepancy.

Unused.
    Headbomb said:

DART05

Now does 1 damage per 3 seconds over 120 seconds (40 total damage). The portrait icon had the wrong power level and could be dispelled, even though the poison effect can't.
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2013
    CamDawg said:

Headbomb said:

AX1H07

Headbomb said:

Well, the problem with the arbitrary duration is that, without ay guidance, any change would be equally arbitrary.
    Well is there any other item that effect durations don't match the spells? All others seem to match, e.g. the Shield Amulet casts the spell Shield for the same duration as the spell Shield. It seems rather strange to me that Bala's Axe would cast Miscast Magic for a different duration than the spell Miscast Magic, especially since it makes a direct reference to the spell (Miscast Magic is capitalized), and not the effect.
    Usually item effects don't actually have a lot to do with spells unless they explicitly say something like 'casts X on hit', but researching this a bit more I think you're right. I thought 100 was an arbitrary duration, but in BG it matches the duration of the Miscast Magic spell. @Jalily, I'm going to adjust the axe so that Miscast lasts for 60 seconds (one turn).
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Okay, I've updated the description.