Skip to content

Would people like a Ironman mode?

AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
As in 'no reload and yes, you'll have to endure that low HP roll at level up'.

Comments

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    There's already a way to get Ironman mode though which requires neither mods nor dev coding: Don't reload, not even at Level Up. If you don't believe me, check out the Bioware Network Forum's Baldur's Gate section "No Reloads" threads (for BG1 and BG2)... very fun to read as well. I was on the BG1 one last year for a couple months, but folks like Grond0 and Gate70 have been there yrs hammering away at it.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    There's already a way to get Ironman mode though which requires neither mods nor dev coding: Don't reload, not even at Level Up. If you don't believe me, check out the Bioware Network Forum's Baldur's Gate section "No Reloads" threads (for BG1 and BG2)... very fun to read as well. I was on the BG1 one last year for a couple months, but folks like Grond0 and Gate70 have been there yrs hammering away at it.
    Those threads are precisely why I was suggesting a Ironman mode. Since no-reload runs are a popular houserule in all of gaming, seemed like it would be an interesting addition - I supposed a houserule just doesn't have the same psychological effect.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    just a quick question, if i have to turn of my computer, what would happen in this Iron Mode? :P
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Heart of Fury mode
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    just a quick question, if i have to turn of my computer, what would happen in this Iron Mode? :P
    Generally, whenever you save you'll also leave the game.
    Heart of Fury mode
    Well, that's above what I suggested but why not?
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    you both get a thumb up for your suggestions, it sounds like fun!
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    As an option sounds like a good one. Doesn't hurt anybody and gives a sub-division of the fans who are interested in this sort of things something they would appreciate.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I would be interested in both an "Ironman Mode" similar to the one used in Temple of Elemental Evil (Only 1 roll on char creation, no reload a.k.a perma death), as well as a Heart of Fury-esque mode where enemies do extreme damage/have ridiculous HP (but as a counter-balance, the items found are more powerful and the experience rewards are higher).
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Aliteri

I would definitely like an "Ironman Mode" as an option if possible, as well as the "Heart of Fury-esque" mode suggested by @Winthal. It's true that an Ironman mode can be entirely self-imposed and so doesn't necessarily NEED to be included, but I would certainly like it.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I think I would like this. Maybe with items and encounters only for this mode?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    It would be great to add checkbox option "do not allow to sleep in dungeons" as somebody has suggested. Or even "allow to sleep in Inns\taverns only"
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    If they were to implement it, I think they should add some rewards for it.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Would ironman mode not corrode before we get to it?
    Would ironman mode not corrode before we get to it?
    Because of... the IRON shortage? *trollface*
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Winthal

I never thought of that. I just meant iron corrodes. Let's go with that.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    It would be great to add checkbox option "do not allow to sleep in dungeons" as somebody has suggested. Or even "allow to sleep in Inns\taverns only"
    I always felt bad sleeping in dungeon, I generally try to avoid it and even if I do, I find an empty room and lock myself in :) Also I always do Irenicus' dungeon in BG2 without sleep (except for one at the beginning if im playing caster to get some spells).
    But sleeping outside, camping shouldn't be restricted I think... Especially in BG1 where you spend so much of your time out of towns.

There are more reasons to remove resting in dungeons imo, for one, you can generate alot of extra XP by resting over and over and get ambushed on purpose, like in the infamous flesh golem cave.

Besides, I really like the feeling of being "in over my head", the party is getting low on healing, potions are running out, your daily spells are at their limit, everybody's fatigued from haste spells, but you press on because you're so close to the end... this adds a bigger element of planning to the gamer for one, you have to prepare much longer for the big dungeons. And it just *feels* better to come out on the other side bruised, battered.. but very much alive... out in the sunshine once more. Just think about going through Durlags Tower in one go, without rest... what an accomplishment...

(if you really have to tho, you can leave the dungeon and go back to town, then come back and finish the rest)
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

I always felt bad sleeping in dungeon, I generally try to avoid it and even if I do, I find an empty room and lock myself in :) Also I always do Irenicus' dungeon in BG2 without sleep (except for one at the beginning if im playing caster to get some spells).
    There's even banter specifically for sleeping in Irenicus dungeon. Once at least, I think it's SCS2 that adds a component that only allows 1 rest inside this dungeon and then 100% chance of being awoken by monsters.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    ''Would people like a Ironman mode?''

Yes, yes very much so.

@Anton

''It would be great to add checkbox option "do not allow to sleep in dungeons" as somebody has suggested. Or even "allow to sleep in Inns\taverns only"

Yes, that too please.

@Winthal

''There are more reasons to remove resting in dungeons imo, for one, you can generate alot of extra XP by resting over and over and get ambushed on purpose, like in the infamous flesh golem cave.

Besides, I really like the feeling of being "in over my head", the party is getting low on healing, potions are running out, your daily spells are at their limit, everybody's fatigued from haste spells, but you press on because you're so close to the end... this adds a bigger element of planning to the gamer for one, you have to prepare much longer for the big dungeons. And it just *feels* better to come out on the other side bruised, battered.. but very much alive... out in the sunshine once more. Just think about going through Durlags Tower in one go, without rest... what an accomplishment...''

Exactly my feelings on this except you formulated it a lot better than I ever could.

@Senash

It makes me feel bad too. I tend to close the doors also hehehe. I'm torn up between camping under the stars or not camping under the stars though. You know... I think that my problem with it is resting a bunch of times to get all of you HP back. I don't find it very cool to rest more than once. Also trying to sleep and getting woken up constantly kind of breaks the momentum for me. It can take a lot of time and it just looks really bad because as I said on my difficulty level thread whatever it's called, I don't like how the enemies just appear in a pack somewhere instead of if they looked like they were patrolling or something. On the other hand camping under the stars is a perfectly normal thing to do and I don't see why you couldn't do it. I just find it weird to camp in dungeons and I feel guilty whenever I do it.

So anyway, I would have these options for players:

- Save only in inns.
    - Save whenever but file gets deleted when PC dies... is that how Ironman goes?
    - No rest in dungeons
    - Rest only in inns

@AzL0n Ironman (at least in temple of elemental evil) was basically permanent death (your save game was deleted) and you only saved when you exited the game, no quick saves. Everything else was just like a normal game. With the added risk that comes with permanent death, resting carelessly in dungeons is still possible, but far from desirable... it kind of takes care of the problem somewhat, trying to rest in the Cloakwood mines for instance in BG1 almost always result in bandits or black talons waking you for an ambush, this could easily be fatal in an Ironman game. Resting in dungeons would be limited to calculated risks only...

Another idea, perhaps for a mod, is to add more monsters and tougher monsters for the ambushes while sleeping in dungeons BUT remove any XP gains from them making farming them impossible, and basically only making them a major nuisance, and sometimes downright lethal.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2012

There's even banter specifically for sleeping in Irenicus dungeon. Once at least, I think it's SCS2 that adds a component that only allows 1 rest inside this dungeon and then 100% chance of being awoken by monsters.
    Ye, and there's also a Fallen Deva, Demons, Monks and Clerics and Illych who can only be harmed by +3 or something.... ah nice memories.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2012
    Don't see this mode as a necessity as it can easily be implemented by the player, as has been mentioned. On the other hand, the more options and customizability they can put into the game, the better it is. Just wouldn't have this change put in at the expense of something more critical.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I've been on the old BioWare forums since 2007 and was a no-reload challenger ever since. Succeeded a couple of times, surprisingly it's not as hard as one thinks it could be. I mean, luck is always involved (after all, getting 12 bandits shooting arrows at you after the first area IS painful) but the trick is to take it calmly.

It would be cool as an addition but not a true necessity if you ask me. I mean, you can do the no reloads yourself, true, you can lie, but what's the point in that, you're only lying to yourself.
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    I played no-reloads quite a few times (and even succeeded once or twice) and found it to be the most enjoyable way to play, but it's better left as a personal challenge than a software-enforced one. Corrupted savegame files suck enough when you are allowed multiple slots and reloads, never mind when there's just one.

When it comes to things like no sleeping in dungeons, keep in mind that the practical effect of these measures may be less to increase the challenge and more to increase the annoyance of having to back out, trek back to town, rest up, and then head back to the dungeon multiple times. For the most part, it doesn't make the game harder, but it does make it more tedious. It's much like how energy drain in the original PNP D&D was terrifying because there was basically no way to get lost levels back other than by gaining more experience the hard way, but in Baldur's Gate, it just meant you have to pack everything up, go to a temple, pay a pittance for a restoration spell, re-do your spell selection, rest, and then return to pick up where you left off. Tedious and annoying, but not really scary because there was nothing long-term at stake.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I would love an Ironman mode, albeit a little softer than what you suggest.

At the moment, I play a "reload only on CHARNAME death" game, and I also reload when I get below average HP rolls. I'm enjoying it immensely so far. I use potions, I use scrolls, I scout ahead, I use lots of different characters (and let some of them un-resurrected to save money). I have to think about conversation choices, and I let the chips fall where they may.

These are all things I have never done before, and so far it's been great fun. I would really love if an Ironman mode could be added post-ship, as I believe Ironman modes are quite popular and would add to the replayability and the immersion. Of course, this should come with a big fat sign "Not recommended for first-time players", but other than that I find it would be a great addition for us long-timer fans (and everyone who wants to become just as nerdy).