Skip to content

Move the katana sold in Baldur's Gate to Thunderhammer Smithy.

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Currently, there are three katanas in the game: a normal one sold by Winthrop, a normal one sold by a general store in Baldur's Gate, and a magical +1 in a chest right before Davaeorn. You can't afford Winthrop's in the Prologue unless you're a rogue with the right skill point distribution, and the other two areas must be unlocked by the plot. This means the first katana you can usually obtain is the +1.

Katanas should be rare. But not only is it frustrating to go through more than half the game without a weapon you spent proficiency points on (a warning about the rarity of magical katanas notwithstanding), it's a little strange when you can reliably obtain a +1 before the normal version. Then, when you're finally able to buy a katana, it's no big deal because you were just handed a magical one for free in a nondescript chest. (I'd give that one to the ogre mage on the previous level, but that's a different issue.)

By moving the katana sold in Baldur's Gate to Thunderhammer Smithy, players can obtain one in a location that makes sense without rushing through the plot. This would make a katana-wielding playthrough more satisfying without affecting the rarity of the weapon at all.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If we are in the business of moving katanas around, move the +1 katana in daveorn's chest onto the ogre magi's corpse on the floor above.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    That's...what I said? :P
    Jalily said:

That's...what I said? :P

That would have involved me reading words. I prefer pictures.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I don't know. I think they should move the BG Katana to Thunderhammer.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Me, I think it should only be sold by Feldepost, being a collector and purveyor of exotic goods. Taerom may be a skilled smithy, but I don't see katanas being part of his "dogma."
    scriver said:

I don't know. I think they should move the BG Katana to Thunderhammer.

Pfft. I think it would be much better if they moved the katana to the Thunderhammer blacksmith in beregost

I'll say what I said in another thread:

The "katanas are rare" issue could be resolved fairly simply, if the proficiency type were shared with wakizashis. The two weapons are used in concert with each other anyway, and wakizashis are "common" enough that an intrepid samurai could acquire one early on to make use of the proficiency.
  • NordomNordom Member Posts: 22
    Aosaw said:

I'll say what I said in another thread:

The "katanas are rare" issue could be resolved fairly simply, if the proficiency type were shared with wakizashis. The two weapons are used in concert with each other anyway, and wakizashis are "common" enough that an intrepid samurai could acquire one early on to make use of the proficiency.

+100!

And this:
    Equip Ogre Mages with katanas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited January 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    Why not move the one from Winthrop to Thunderhammer? That would be the "intro" one, which as you pointed out makes no sense on Winthrop. I wouldn't want to see the item removed from BG, where you would expect to find exotic weapons.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Why move? Copy it so it should be in the both places. Baldur's Gate is such a magnificent city so it should have better items in its stores. That would be unacceptable for the gameplay but it is well solved with the iron shortage.
    @Djimmy
    As things currently stand, the iron shortage doesn't affect katanas, wakizashis, or ninja-tos; so once you find one, you don't have to worry about it breaking.