Skip to content

Remove some of the stealth requirements for thieves (like backstabbing, stealth)

Ever since Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, the thiefs in your party need to stand behind a target in order to perform a sneak attack. I hate that requirement.
It is not in the DnD rules, it was not in the original BG (It was added in the ToTSC update), and worse: NPCs do NOT need it. Why can't the player characters facestab? If they are hidden, it does not matter whether they stab the heart from the front or between the ribs from the back - either way is just as deadly.

Please let us be able to turn that off.

There was another thing: In BG, also ever since TotSC, a thief gains a malus to stealthing when it is not standing in actual shadows. I also wish for this to be removed, as per DnD rules and the original Baldur's Gate (sans tales).

ALso please let us able to turn that off :).

Comments

• GrizzlyGrizzly Member Posts: 5
    I stand corrected.
    Still, NPCs can still facestab, which is a little bit annoying.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Bhaaldog is that what we are calling the literate these days? Yup. Totally pro DM.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    In the vicinity of this subject, it's been requested before but I want sneak attack as a configuration option like in Icewind Dale (2e).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah the face stabbing is kind of annoying (thankfully, there aren't usually many BSing thief enemies, and just walking around with your thief's DI on effectively defangs them)....do you know of any mods that have managed to correct that (Not sure how difficult it would be to script a proper backstabbing AI).
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    @ZanathKariashi Hi, I noticed above that you said that strength bonuses get multiplied into the backstab. I've been led to believe they don't. They used to in the very original game, but that was another modification with TotSC. The strength bonus gets added on after the multiplier.
    This is why it's possible to get an odd number on a x2 and x4 backstab.

I do believe you get multiplied bonuses for gauntlets of weapons expertise etc. where there is an added damage bonus.

Does anyone have confirmed ideas on how backstab gets multiplied?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    I'm relatively sure......I'll do some quick tests to double check.

** Yeah, str is definitely multiplied. It's super easy to check. Just make a half-orc thief with 19 str and Backstab stuff with a dagger. You'll get a 16-24 damage range, which is consistent with 14 damage from str and a random 2d4.

It rolls damage for each X of the multiplier, it doesn't just roll once and then multiply it. So you roll a x5 backstab with a +2 dagger, it'll roll (1d4+2+str+innate)+(1d4+2+str+innate)+(1d4+2+str+innate)+(1d4+2+str+innate)+(1d4+2+str+innate)= Backstab damage + specialization + extras

Str, enhancement bonus damage, and innate class damage bonuses (such as the +1 from an assassin or the level based +damage from a kensai) are multiplied. Specialization and other damage (such as from the gauntlets), I'm not 100% sure yet, I'll check later. Extra damage, such as elemental damage, or the extra piercing on the staff of the ram +6 (1d6+12, +1d4 pierce) isn't multiplied.