Skip to content

Boots of Speed + Ring of Free Action = Fail

MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
edited January 2013 in Fixed
The ring of free action cancels out the boots of speed. Not quite right that... Fix it! Please? :D /J
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2013
    This is not a bug: boots of speed alter movement and ring of free action imposes immunity to all movement alterations.

It's up to you: is wearing the boots of speed more beneficial than never being held and beat up by Ghouls/Ghasts/Enemy Mages/Some Other (Evil) Enemy Being Capable of Holding You in Place While Whacking You Till Death?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    This has been fixed and will be in the next version.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    This is how it's supposed to work. Moving the thread.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    You'd think free action would make your action free, not hinder it.

Doesn't freedom of movement in PnP just stop you from being slowed down or held but still allow you to be sped up? Or is it different in 2nd Ed? (Or have I played 3rd ed wrong?)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    moopy said:

You'd think free action would make your action free, not hinder it.

Doesn't freedom of movement in PnP just stop you from being slowed down or held but still allow you to be sped up? Or is it different in 2nd Ed? (Or have I played 3rd ed wrong?)

That's how it is in 2e PnP, but I think I've heard someone around here mention before that BG is not PnP. The ring description itself tells you that it makes you immune to beneficial movement spells like Haste.

@Miloch has a PnP free action mod over at SHS that prevents RoFA from blocking beneficial movement speed changes, but I'm not sure if he's updated it for BGEE.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Beware that the potion of freedom has the same effect, cancels the effect of haste.
    @CamDawg

I prefer to not mod and keep whatever house rules BG has. I was just curious if I was right or wrong about PnP.

Thanks though.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @moopy - yes, you are correct - Free Action should only prevent negative movement modifiers from being applied, not positive ones.
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    There no way to change it except through modding, since both items are hard coded, and the ring cancels all spells or items that interfere with movement including haste or improved haste.
    I wish it would just stop you from walking faster, and not stop your APR from going up, because it seems real weird that a good spell will stop a good spell and it basically makes you pick between modding and using the best weapon in the game, but again... this doesn't irritate me as much as modding irritates me.