Skip to content

A few extra level 5 spells.

I'm finally nearing the end of my first run through. Just the undercity to do. (Bit slow out of traps by some standards). I actually did a solo fighter/thief/mage and it was much more fun than taking a party. (But I'm not an ironman purist - I did raise the xp cap).
But anyhoo -- I've noticed there are some new spell from BG2. Stoneskin made an appearance. Spell thrust too. Glitterdust. Detect Illusion.
And Sunfire at level 5. Yet my level 5 page still looks pretty scanty.

Chaos - use it a lot.
Cloudkill - use it. Like the new vapour graphics.
Domination - never use it.
Feeblemind - never use it. Level 1 blindness does much the same.
Hold Monster - use it a lot.
Animal Summoning III - never use it, the wand is better.
Shadow Door - I don't get it. It's the same as improved invisibility which is level 4. You can, I guess, in BG2 put it into a spell trigger.
Sunfire - I can't really see myself using this as fireball at level 10 is just as good. Especially with Minor G of I added. Or am I missing something? I suppose invokers had it bad at level 5.

I would have liked an elemental summoning
Or a spell turning.
Or spell immunity.
Something to open up new tactics.

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Shadow door casts instantly, Improved invis has a cast of...4 if memory serves..might be 2. I.e. it's MUCH safer to use in an emergency.

Sunfire casts fast as well (like 1 or 2 cast), and doesn't hurt the caster. It also scales up to lvl 15, vs 10 for fireball. That would be why.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Shadow Door casts at 2 and Improved Invisibility casts at 4. Sunfire casts at 3. Frankly Shadow Door is not much of improvement and the duration is actually shorter than the Improved Invisibility.

Sunfire centers fireball on caster (and makes you temporarily immune to fire), which is good if you solo and are surrounded by a group of enemies. Sunfire has the same casting speed as Fireball. For solo strategy, Fireball a group of enemies from offscreen first. When they chase and surround you, finish them with Sunfire.

Spell Immunity is a nice addition. For (minor) spell turning, you may want to stick with lv3 minor spell deflection, they work the same way (deflect vs reflect).