Skip to content

Should the experience cap in Shadows of Amn be restored to maintain balance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Should the experience cap in Shadows of Amn be restored to maintain balance101 votes
    1. Yes restore the original Exp Cap for Shadows of Amn
      25.74%
    2. No leave the Throne of Bhaal Exp Cap in Shadows of Amn
      52.48%
    3. I enjoy eating Quattro Formaggi Pizza
        3.96%
    4. Boo, when was the last time you had a bath?
      12.87%
    5. None of the above
        4.95%

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I think most people at this point have modded BG:EE to a point where they have a higher XP cap than Shadows of Amn did (but not necessarily high than ToB) and I have a feeling they would release the two of them together anyways.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    By this logic shouldn't the original xp cap for BG1 be put in BG1:EE and only raised to 161k once you enter expansion content?

The problem being, you can enter the expansion content in any order at anytime. Which is the same with Watchers Keep.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm personally not a fan of XP caps in general (I think they place an arbitrary limit on the player's experience), and the inclusion of Watcher's Keep makes the elevated XP cap sensible.

Again, most players will never hit the XP cap for ToB, and many players won't even hit the original SoA cap.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I wouldn't say that it blends or doesn't blend. There are two optional areas. Durlags Tower and the Werewolf Island that you don't have to go to and can go to in any order. This is exactly the same as Watchers Keep. I'd also say there is a fairly large difference in abilities between a character with 89,000 xp and 161,000 xp.

What you are saying is you were intended to play SoA up to Jon Irenicus with 2.95 million xp originally.

I'm saying you were intended to beat Saverok with 89,000 xp originally.

Unless you are soloing you shouldn't get very far above 2.95 million xp without Watchers Keep anyway.

What is it that breaks the game between 2.95 and 8 million that isn't so game breaking between 89,000 and 161,000 (given that the odds of you hitting 8 million in a party of 6 before the end of SoA isn't that high so REALLY we are talking about the difference in something like 2.95 and 4-5 million)? I'm assuming it is the HLAs. If your main point revolves around the HLAs which SoA wasn't balanced for I could see asking that the HLAs be limited to working only in Watchers Keep and in ToB. I'd be against that but I'm just trying to get to the heart of why you think a character is going to be overpowered by the end of SoA, assuming a party of 6 and not visiting Watchers Keep, and that a character with with 161,000 xp isn't overpowered for a end game fight balanced for 89,000 xp.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited January 2013
    I'm a fan of XP caps when it limits the gameplay from being overbalanced. For instance, the experience cap, I think, is necessary in Baldur's Gate I, but in Baldur's Gate II I really liked the idea of Throne of Bhaal removing the level cap. This was a design decision people, and the original creators removed the cap with the expansion on purpose.

EDIT: In addition, reaching past 2.23 million XP requires a strenuous amount of grinding.. Granted, I've not played a solo BGII campaign, but I've played the 2nd one three times, and the experience felt balanced. In a sense, don't punish players who want to grind because if you don't want to move past the level cap, have a 6 player party as intended.
  • Darthvegeta800Darthvegeta800 Member Posts: 5
    I'm no fan of xp caps personally.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    1130210 said:

I'm a fan of XP caps when it limits the gameplay from being overbalanced. For instance, the experience cap, I think, is necessary in Baldur's Gate I, but in Baldur's Gate II I really liked the idea of Throne of Bhaal removing the level cap. This was a design decision people, and the original creators removed the cap with the expansion on purpose.

EDIT: In addition, reaching past 2.23 million XP requires a strenuous amount of grinding.. Granted, I've not played a solo BGII campaign, but I've played the 2nd one three times, and the experience felt balanced. In a sense, don't punish players who want to grind because if you don't want to move past the level cap, have a 6 player party as intended.

What? That's completely false. You go easily over 3 million xp, though not by much, in SoA without any grinding if you complete majority of the sidequests. Just finished SoA again like week ago so I got pretty good memory of this. This especially true if you do any WK, and in BG2EE there will be even more new sidequest content to give you xp.

That being said I don't mind there being XP cap like there isn't now with ToB installed. It does make Irenicus ridiculously easy but that's fine for many people. I would like an option in the UI though to reinstate the 2.95mil SoA xp cap for those people looking for balanced and challeging playthrough. My favorite option would be an option to slow xp gain by 20-30%.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    Removing the experience cap is effectively cheating since you are using a character more powerful than the game was balanced for. If you're going to remove it, you might as well CTRL 8 your stats and use the console to create the equipment you want. If players want to do it on their own so be it, but I don't want the game shipping this way.

Remember that werebears are overpowered!
    edited January 2013
    ZOMG WEREBEARS HAVE MADE AN APPEARANCE

/THREAD

Wouldn't the problem with the cap being 2.95mil up to the Irenicus battle be if you went to Watchers Keep during SoA?

So doesn't that actually make the question, "Yes restore the original EXp Cap for Shadows of Amn AND make Watchers Keep only accessible during ToB."
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The difference between them is, ToTSC only allowed classes to gain 1 or 2 more levels, and didn't really change the experience that dynamically. ToB allows you to, even with a 6 player party, go 10 levels or more over the original cap, and yes the HLA are a major contribution to the brokenness (especially giving how shoddily implemented they were...literally thrown in at the last second before shipping the game, any semblance of what little balance was left in the game be damned).

enforcing the original level caps (19 fighter/barbarian, 14 druid, 16 paladin/ranger, 23 bard/thief, 17 mage/sorcerer, 21 Cleric/monk, Duo-classes (13 fighter, 13 mage, 16 thief, 14 cleric, 12 ranger, 13 druid), or triple-class (12 mage, 11 fighter, 12 cleric, 14 thief) rather then the xp cap, would allow you to continue to grind xp, that once you reached ToB could be used to level up immediately.

This would also give dual-class a much needed shot in the arm, since you could gain a slight advantage over M-C until ToB started. M-C would still ultimately be stronger, but it wouldn't be such an easy and clear cut decision.

The overall dynamic wouldn't change as much overall, but some classes, such as the Skald would retain their edge and usefulness much longer, staying an excellent party buffer through all of SoA, instead of merely to 3 mil xp.

You know...I just realized...BG2's original cap doesn't allow a Multiclassed druid to acquire the druid stronghold...haha..that is actually awesome, and somewhat PnP accurate. (Multiclass druids can't go above 13, since levels 14-16 are tied to the druid hierarchy, which only single class, or dual-classed into druids can participate in...winning the druid grove changes your class to Great Druid, which a multi-class isn't supposed to be able to be).

Not that it really matters...as several people (myself included) have found, you can beat BG2 and ToB with a 161,000 xp cap, rather easily as a party, some classes can even solo with that cap in place (though I refuse to count anyone who uses exploits or cheese in that count, since they're unnecessary and undermine primary purpose of the challenge). It's more the gear and the tactics you use, rather then your levels that determine if you win or die.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    XP caps need to be abolished
  • RaphielDrakeRaphielDrake Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    I find XP caps in-general to be counter intuitive. Does anyone ever really stop learning?

But I digress, to even remotely begin justifying such a proposition you'd need to vastly expand ToB. Throne of Bhaal alone doesn't give all that much opportunity to test out your new skills where as SoA has plenty of side-quests and story quests to explore long after you have reached your limit. Even if this were done, why limit how much a character can learn just because he has not got to a point you feel is fair on the enemy? At the point you can destroy enemies with ease you've already taken time and effort to get where you are, why shouldn't you be able to floor enemies like a badass. The experience is still there but it takes a great deal of effort to level-up when fighting worthy opponents let alone those your lesser. Its not like your cheating any systems here.

No, its not a good idea. Infact I would go so far as to say it is the exact opposite of what is desirable. The possibility of gaining immense power and using it is one of the major driving forces behind fighting difficult battles. Without that, why bother? No, what is desirable is more. Stronger enemies, harder quests. Broader horizons. More extreme battles. More power to gain. More to lose. More. Not less.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Level caps are not such a big issue, AI is. The artificial intelligence should be twisted a little bit.
  • YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22
    I don't like the fact that by the time you get to ToB and get the ToB NPC (one of my favourite NPCS storywise) he's so far behind the rest of the characters; I hope they get his XP to scale based on the XP of the PC.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Leave the level cap as is, but increase the difficulty of the encounters via script edits and/or level boosts.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Some rebalancing of SoA is certainly in order, but I don't think XP caps are the way to go about it.