Skip to content

More Immunity Items (BG2 EE)

There are various items in bg2 that grant immunity to negative status effects. Some really useful ones:

-Shield of Harmony
-Ring of Gaax
-Ring of Free Action
-Amulet of Power
-Boot of Gargoyle

However, there are no items that grant immunity to Blindness, Sleep, Maze, Wing Buffet, Petrification and Death (the improved Hindo's Doom comes very late in the game).

I always think that the Dragonslayer items (shields and helmets) are underwhelming because elemental resistance potions are abundant in the game. The helmet should grant additional protection against unconsciousness and the shield grants protection against Wing Buffet. When a fighter equips the dragonslayer equipments, he/she is indeed immune to the dragon's powerful effect.

For Blindness, a pair of (stylish) sunglasses/goggle accessory should be added. For Death magic and Petrification, there should be some rings that grant the corresponding protections.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Hmmm, I guess being hit by an angry dragon's wing is comparable to be run over by a train. Can't really see how a shield or helmet would turn you immune to becoming unconscious. The Dragon slayer item's help you, they do not do the work for you.
    Also, if you can get the Ring of Gaxx, I am sure you can kill the dragons without breaking a sweat.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    One of the things I dont like about beholders is that they can instant kill ppl w/ death/petrify rays. Immunity to those effects at least give you a fighting chance (unless you want to use the cheesy shield).

Immunity to sleep/unconsciousness is nice. If you can shake off the effect of mindflayer's psionics, you should also be able to laugh at the githyanki when they try to knock you out unconsciously.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Sooooo...... The Shield of Balduran is cheesy but an item that just makes you immune to beholder rays isn't? Not sure I agree with that. The end effect is much the same.
    edited January 2013
    @Corvino:

No. The beholder has an arsenal of attacks in its disposal. It can use "unblockable" antimagic rays (which is stupid since it will dispel all magic defense regardless protections like spell turning and spell trap), miscast magic, hold person, fear, cause serious wounds and many other spells. Having items that prevent instant death (death magic and petrification) when you fight a party of beholders is for balancing unless you enjoy reloading.

The end effect is not the same. At least now your characters can survive a few rounds instead of dying in round 1.
    Post edited by bbear on
    My point was that the Shield of Balduran already does more or less what you want, erring on the side of overprotection. I don't think that adding more items with partly overlapping and/or redundant immunities is a great solution to the problem.

If you want to fight beholders with an immunity item, use the cheesy shield. If you want to fight dozens of beholders without it you're free to do so.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Actually...the beholders are weaker then they're supposed to be. Their Anti-magic cone is supposed to strip not only magical defenses and prevent spell casting, it also suppresses the magical abilities of any items you're wearing, making them completely plain and normal items for as long as you remain in the cone (which is constantly generated by it's main eye), including all magical potions. (though it also prevents them from firing their eye rays into the cones area of effect, but since they can fly at will, they'd just maneuver around and pick off your people a few at a time, since it can attack with all it's eye beams every turn, and they'd more most likely to spread them out and attempt to disable as many characters as possible in it's first volley, before it opens it's main eye at the end of the round and disables all your spells, equipment bonuses and spellcasting.

Baldur's Gate is letting you off easy. In actual DnD Beholders are one of, if not THE most dangerous enemies you can encounter. Even high level Demons and dragons have trouble competing with that level ass kicking, that a WEAK beholder can throw out...Elder and Mother Orbs also have varying levels of spellcasting ability in addition to their Eye beams and should realistically destroy all but the most well prepared parties with no chance of failure at all.

Of course in actual DnD you could declare a called shot on their main eye and try to destroy it (requires dealing 15 HP of damage, with an AC of -3 and your called shots have an additional -4 penalty on attack rolls, unless you're an Archer or Blade which reduce called shot penalties, to disable it's ability to use the effect.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Corvino: I was just using the beholders as examples. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean other ppl cant use it. Sigh...I guess I can request this to be in a mod.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Just use item revisions...while they've supposedly toned down the out right game breakingly OP stuff from the first few versions, the current one still adds a BUNCH of new items, and probably has what you're looking for.
    On the contrary, I like the shield of Balduran. If there are immunity items I hoard them for the right set of circumstances. "Be prepared" is sort of my motto.

But arguably there are immunity items available already for most specific circumstances. The only common immunity-less problem is mind flayer Int drain, or rarely imprisonment (berserkers aside).

Not all of these immunity items/spells are ideal, but you can get immunity to:
    Stun (Mazzy's sword)
    Hold (Arbane's sword)
    Level drain (Amulet of power, NPP)
    Fear (Dragonslayer, resist fear)
    Charm/domination (shield of harmony, helm of charm protection)
    Death magic (death ward)
    Silence (amulet of power again)
    Various elements (you name it)
    Confusion (chaotic commands)
    Petrification (potion of mirrored eyes, resist petrification)
    Sleep and blindness are rare, and usually offer a save.

I haven't listed everything and it's still a lot of immunity! For some things you do need to rely on saves and/or dispel magic, but that's why we've got them.