Skip to content

Two-Handed Weapon Bonus for Snipers/bowmen?

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere. I tried a search and didn't see it addressed on the forum. I have Coran and am coming up on a weapons proficiency bonus. He is in my party mostly as a sniper with a longbow. Does it make sense to pip the two-handed weapon style? Not sure if bonuses in that slot apply to archery. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Unfortunately, ranged weapons don't benefit from weapon style proficiency points. Points in two-handed style would only benefit his abilities with melee weapons.
  • BooditoBoodito Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. From the examples given in the description I was afraid that was the case.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Also one-handed missile weapons (slings, darts, throwing axes and throwing daggers) don't benefit from single weapon style, though magic throwing axes (and throwing daggers, but there aren't any magic ones in BGEE, only BG2) in BGEE can be in "missle mode" or "melee mode" and in the later they *do* get the single weapon style bonus, but can't be thrown whilst in that mode.

Also, you can't have a weapon in the off-hand when a one-handed missile weapon is equiped (even if in melee mode), so no dual-wielding of them (or in conjunction with a melee weapon), but you can use a shield.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Sword and shield does not apply when equipping a shield and ranged weapon either however. Only melee weapon equipped characters get the shield bonuses, iirc.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, the Two-Handed Weapon proficiency does give the bonus that they are good with a two-handed weapon they can have equipped and ready if enemies get close... other than that no bonuses though.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    scriver said:

Sword and shield does not apply when equipping a shield and ranged weapon either however. Only melee weapon equipped characters get the shield bonuses, iirc.

A character equipped with a one-handed ranged weapon does not get the Sword and Shield Weapon Style bonus, but does of course still benefit from the shield's own protection.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    All that said, for Coran's next proficiency, give him a pip in Single Weapon Style. Nice little bonus to when he has to pull out that Long Sword ...