Skip to content

Abdel Adrian is Bhaal's biggest disgrace.

Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
Okay okay i know much people wont agree with me but i just felt it's necessary to explain my personal opinion for Abdel Adrian. In the novels he is described as a big and strong man but mentally unstable and a bit simpleton.
During his adventure he proofs that he is not utter and strong-minded (like a true bhaalspawn must be).
He pretends he loves Jaheira but after he sides with the vampires and sleeps with Bodhi he totally forgots where he is and forgets about his true feelings (that's kinda unlikely for a strong half-god protagonist). He dooesn't happen to prevent Abazigal from killing Jaheira and in fact doesn't even care for her death. I cannot blame him about his choice not to become the lord of murder but after he refuses,he is not remembered as a legend at all. During his adventure he makes many others stupid actions that are unlikely for ''the most powerful bhaalspawn''.
Also it seems illogical that he is 7 feet tall. If that's true Sarevok must be like Robert Wadlow (over 8 feet ya know).
My personal opinion is that Abdel Adrian does not fit to be the main protagonist ( obviously Bhaal would not be proud of him if he was alive) and that the storyline in the novels is not well described.

That's only my opinion. What's yours?

Comments

• MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    From what little I've read about the changes made to the story in the BG novels, my opinion is that we should pretend they never existed.
    Seconded.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @Bastion72 Anyone could be a bhaalspawn though, imagine if Tiax were one for example... Bhaal would turn over in his astral grave and go: "NOoooOOooooOoooo!!!" in true darth-vaderian fashion. Not that I support the novels (far from it), just saying...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    From what little I've read about the changes made to the story in the BG novels, my opinion is that we should pretend they never existed.
    Seconded.
    Thats what @PhillipDaigle said too

• PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    In the novels, Minsc has a fiery red head of hair.

That's really all you need to know.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61

As opposed to the shiny white hair he currently has ? ;-)
  • SkinnyDSkinnyD Member Posts: 28

As opposed to the shiny white hair he currently has ? ;-)
    Minsc's "hair" worked for me. I always just pretended that Boo was a white, helmet shaped hamster.
  • CelebCeleb Member Posts: 14
    I've read first book 1/2 years ago and third one week ago (didn't read second sadly). Most importantly I almost completely forgot story from the games so I judge the novel like a normal novel (not like a book based on game).

Presentations of things are weak or unbelievable for me in the novels. There we have hidden organization which wants Bhaal to be resurrected. Members talk in their specific code so no spies will understand them. No member is allowed to say name of the other member loud... Too bad that all members of this organization are exposed and killed by main hero in maybe three days. I mean what the heck? Some deaths of important characters looks like minor inconveniences (btw, why they can't resurrect people?).

What I liked in the first book is all the places the main hero visits. Forests, towns etc.

But going back to Abdel Adrian... he seems dumb. Like a big child. But his not being 'a true bhaalspawn' is the point of the book. Third book shows few ways of dealing with curse of being the child of Bhaal. Balthazar fought with his Bhaal side by training. Sarevok lost the battle with that side. Abdel uses love as a protection from his evil father essence. I kinda liked that, homever it was cheesy sometimes.
    Why I think he is dumb? He doesn't even know what he wants. If he wants to protect Jaheira than he should not fight with The Five. If he wants to kill members of The Five then he shouldn't rush like an idiot into the cave with the mage AND DRAGONS IN IT (dragons came later but still, they were there).

Maybe if his problem would be better described and plot would not rush I'd like that novel better.