Skip to content

Should druids have more spells? II

NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
Sorry for my previous poll. I forgot to add a "no" option.

I am making this poll not because driuds have no spells. But because I, as a player, do not use many of them. I am talking here mostly about 2nd level spells and maybe 4th. Though few more spells could be added to every level.

Also I am not talking about new spells. Few spells from both arcane and divine lists can be added. Spells like web, glitterdust, aid or chant. The thing is that in other games and editions they have a lot of entangle like spells, CC, and other area of affects. I had both Feldorn and Bronwen in my group and I felt that the later had much more to add to the group, spell-wise and combat-wise. Though, I haven't used the wild shape ability so I might be wrong here.

Anyway, I would really like to read how you guys are using your druid. And if you think they have the spell list that they need what spells do you chose? (I just noticed that they have a charm person that I always thought was affecting only animals, a thing which greatly improved the 2nd level list for me).
  1. Should druids have more spells? II76 votes
    1. Yes. Druids need more spells.
      46.05%
    2. No. They have a good spell list.
      30.26%
    3. Yes. But only at specific spell levels.
      23.68%

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I don't remember the exact spell levels, but IWD1 with the HoW expansion gave druids some interesting spells that aren't seen in the BG series, involving AoE spike traps that dealt damage over time and had a slowing effect. They made the druid in my most recent IWD run my favorite character for swarm enemies, as she could shred massive groups of enemies, weak or strong, with these spells cast over a web/entangle/grease area. There were other great offensive spells as well, like a cone-area spike spray and a tidal wave.

In the BG series, I view druids as having inferior defensive/support spells to clerics, with only a small handful of offensive/summoning spells to make up the difference. The only point in the series where I'd rather have a druid than a cleric is in the end of BG1, where a druid's temporarily faster leveling speed allows them to reach level 5 priest spells while clerics are stuck at level 4.

I'm no programmer, but I'm crossing my fingers that Overhaul/Beamdog has access to the IWD druid spells and can easily convert them into the BG series. This would make playing a druid (Or finally bothering to haul Cernd around) much more enjoyable for me.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Druids sporadically have some great spells. The entire line of insects spells is great, particularly insect plague. I would almost take Cernd for insect plage. Point it at a mage or something near a mage and that guy is not casting any more spells.

Ironskins is another very solid spell. Nothing flashy, it just turns a multi or dual fighter/druid into a mean tank.

Call woodland beings is pretty overpowered for its level. You summon a nymph who can cast spells *above the level of the spell that summoned her*.

Summoning spells at very high levels are also fantastic, as is Nature's Beauty.

Your point though is that many of their spell levels are pure filler with no real application. I agree wholeheartedly. Compared with Clerics who have useful, bread-and-butter spells at every spell level druids are a bit lackluster.

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Much better poll. I think more options especially at lower levels would be good. Not necessarily more powerful spells, but maybe some more options.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Yes, the way they are now they are pretty much only really good as multiclased fighters or rangers because of their odd level and spell progression, because of iron skin and as mage disruptor and maybe elemental summoners. In other points they are similar to priests without resurrection spells but with way worse equipment limitations.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    I'm up for adding more of their actual spells they should have but aren't currently implemented, but not giving them stuff from other classes they shouldn't. I mean hell, give them Reincarnate for a resurrection option as they should have (and mages as well since both classes are supposed to get it)...it'd be fun.

There's also a lvl 2 summon spell for a small air elemental. A few others....
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    No, but only under the condition that shapeshifter druids get a much needed buff to their animal aspects. I played BG2 with a mod that changed the werewolf and greater werewolf to its proper specs and the difference was night and day.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    My issue is primarily that Druids are kind of boring to play because they only have a few decent spells. This leads to constant repeating of the same tactics with little variation in order to get the most out of it. Plus just comparing the Cleric and Druid list is depressing...in terms of numbers, Druids get 16 exclusive spells (including the insultingly bad Goodberries and Hold Animal), Clerics get 36!

IWD Druids are just way more fun to play and also more significantly different from the Cleric because most of the priest spells in the game are Druid-exclusive or Cleric-exclusive. There are rather few spells that both receive.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Healing , summons, insects ... why would they need anything else? Unless it's more elemental stuff heheh
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    Corvino said:

The entire line of insects spells is great, particularly insect plague. I would almost take Cernd for insect plage.

Cernd approves of this.

Insect plague is probably the best druid spell.

• FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Wilbur said:

Corvino said:

The entire line of insects spells is great, particularly insect plague. I would almost take Cernd for insect plage.

Cernd approves of this.

Insect plague is probably the best druid spell.

That and Iron Skins. =D

Call Woodland Beings deserve a special mention too for it's power at the level you access it.

I still think Druids could use some more of their offensive spells they get in NWN and IWD though.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I said it in the last poll for this too, the HLA summon elemental prince is just amazing. My favourite summon in the game, regardless of how awesome the Planetar is. The Earth prince, Sunnis, is awesome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Deja-vu? Must be a glitch in the Matrix...

Ignorance is bliss.

;)
  • I think level 2 is the most painful for me with Druids. What are you going to do, prepare a bunch of Slow Poisons? Prepare Barkskin and Flame Blade, which are both obsoleted by your equipment?
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Barkskin is pretty amazing for Kensais and Mages... =(
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2013
    So, I loaded up an old save to check out specific examples of IWD druid spells. Here are a few that came to mind (copy+pasted off of a Gamefaqs compilation, so the format is a little weird):

L1 Sunscorch
    Spell : Druids, Rangers
    School : Invocation
    Target : 1 creature
    Range : Sight of caster
    Casting Time : .4 round
    Effect : A brilliant ray of scorching heat slants from the sky and
    strikes the target.
    a. Undead and light-sensitive creatures...
    1. Suffer [casterlevel x 2] + [1 to 6] fire damage,
    maximum average damage of 63.5.
    2. Become blinded (-4 penalty to THAC0, -4 penalty to
    AC) for 3 rounds.
    b. Other creatures...
    1. Suffer [casterlevel + [1 to 6]] fire damage,
    maximum average damage of 33.5.
    AC) for 3 rounds.

L2 : ALICORN LANCE
    Casting Time : .5 round
    Effect : Caster creates a silver-hued, partially ethereal lance shaped
    in the form of an alicorn (unicorn horn). The caster chooses a
    target and the alicorn lance instantaneously fires at it.
    1. The Alicorn Lance does 3 to 18 piercing damage (average
    of 10.5).
    2. It leaves a silvery radiance around the the target that
    makes him easier to see (-2 AC penalty for 3 rounds).

L3 : SPIKE GROWTH
    School : Alteration
    Target : Area
    Casting Time : .6 round
    Effect : Terrain within 15 feet of cast point is transformed into spiky
    plants. Creatures on the affected area suffer...
    1. 1 to 4 piercing damage (average of 2.5) every round
    2. 1 to 4 slashing damage (average of 2.5) every round
    (Maximum average damage of 50 over 10 rounds, per victim.)
    Duration : 10 rounds
    Avoidance : None

L3 : CLOUDBURST
    Effect : Brings magical rain that saturates every area within 30 feet of
    cast point. Creatures in the affected area are affected.
    1. FLAME BLADEs (2D), SHROUD OF FLAMEs (5M), Salamander
    Auras are extinguished.
    2. Each round, there is 50 percent chance creatures are
    struck with lightning bolts, doing 2 to 12 electrical
    damage (average of 7), save vs spells to take only
    half damage. (Note : equivalent of 100 percent chance
    to get hit once over 2 rounds.)
    3. Each round, cold and fire dwelling/using creatures take
    additional 2 to 12 magic damage (average of 14 ?ver 2
    rounds).
    Duration : 2 rounds
    Avoidance : See effect

L4 : SMASHING WAVE
    Target : Angle
    Range : 40 feet
    Casting Time : 1 round
    Effect : Summons a wave of water that moves in the direction willed by
    the caster, striking all in its path with massive force.
    1. Creatures caught in its path suffer 4 to 40 crushing
    damage (average of 22).
    2. There is a 25% chance that creatures struck are stunned
    (cannot move/ attack/ cast/ defend) for 2 rounds.
    3. 5% chance they get knocked unconcious (cannot move/
    attack/ cast/ defend) for 2 rounds.
    Duration : Instant
    Avoidance : Save vs breath weapon to take only half of damage, and to
    avoid getting stunned or knocked unconcious

L4: THORN SPRAY
    School : Alteration
    Target : Angle
    Range : 30 feet
    Casting Time : .3 round
    Effect : Enables the caster to cause a spray of barbs, spikes, thorns,
    and spines to spring forth from his hand, flying through a cone
    area 30 feet long, 60 feet wide at its widest (long wide cone,
    almost 90 degrees).
    a. Creatures within the affected area must save vs death or
    suffer 2 to 20 piercing damage (average of 11).
    b. If a save is made, they suffer 1 to 10 piercing damage
    (average of 5.5) instead.
    Duration : Instant

L5: SPIKE STONES
    School : Alteration/ Enchantment
    Effect : Causes the terrain within 15 feet of the cast point to be
    warped into spiked projections that naturally blends in the
    background.
    1. Creatures within the area of effect suffer 2 to 8 piecing
    damage (average of 5) every round; with a maximum
    average damage of 60 over 12 rounds, per victim.
    2. Must save vs spells every round or have their movement
    rate slowed by 30 percent for 1 round.
    Duration : 12 rounds

Is there any balance reason for not implementing these into the BG series? They're fun spells to use, and without them I find druids to be extremely dull. Insect Swarm may be powerful, but it's boring.
    @Madhax perfectly valid point. I can't disagree that it would be neat to see a few of these implemented.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    Not to derail OP's topic into a completely different discussion, but I feel druid's general lack of power would be better compensated by making their shapeshifting more worthwhile.

If you just give them access to more spells - specifically those currently available only to clerics - I feel it would homogenize the two classes too much. Since innate shapeshifting is something very unique to druids, I'd rather see that buffed over their spell selection.
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    Goodberry's "create a handful of items" seems like a holdover from P&P when a single berry counted as an entire meal. But since this game doesn't track meals, it's less useful. If Goodberry were to create a single item that heals 5 hitpoints, the function of the spell would be retained (healing 5 hitpoints), the justification for healing less than Cure Light would be retained (consumables can't be interrupted, unlike cures). The strength of the spell wouldn't even be altered. The ONLY thing it does is make Goodberry useful.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Personally, I think it is kind of a borked question. The more you have to choose from the better. Always assuming that they are all appropriately balanced and implemented. But then even too many spells can be a problem, particularly from the perspective of someone new to the rules. More choices only makes things much more confusing.

Then there is the whole thing about the structure of the interface. Too many icons and you end up not being able to show all of the icons.

I guess I would end up defaulting on the "I think there is a better spell list for Druids that could be implemented." But I don't have input on which spells should be removed and in place of what.

But again, remember that any such endeavor needs to be thoroughly vetted for balance in relation to the encounters in the game. And that is a lot more complex than the actual implementation of the spells. Players are notorious for finding loop holes and combos that the developers and testers never thought of.
  • Fenghoang said:

Barkskin is pretty amazing for Kensais and Mages... =(

I'll concede the point for Kensais, but Mages have much better options to improve their AC then begging a Barkskin off the Druid. Even if they don't have a robe of the archmagi yet, Armor and Shield are both first level spells which provide equivalent AC for a longer duration, and Ghost Armor (which the mage can also cast on the Kensai) completely blows it out of the water.

@the_spyder Too many choices can indeed be a problem, and if someone were talking about adding more Mage spells I'd probably point out that the spellbook interface can barely hold all of the Mage spells which already exist. The Druid gets so few spells at the first and second level, though, that I think it could easily stand to have a couple more without being overwhelming.

Really, I'd be happy if the Druid just got one or two generally useful spells at the second level. The problem with the current spell list at that level is that all the spells are either useless (Know Alignment, Goodberry) or highly situational (Slow Poison, Resist Fire or Cold). While a Cleric can just prepare a bunch of Chant spells if he doesn't have a specific situation to prepare for and count on using them, my Druids often end up not touching their second level spells because I didn't need fire damage and didn't encounter any poisonous enemies that day.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I don't often find low level spells useful for either early in the game. Generally every slot is needed for healing spells. The difference is Clerics low level spells become more useful at higher levels. Spells like Draw Upon Holy Might can become insanely powerful.
  • I don't often find low level spells useful for either early in the game. Generally every slot is needed for healing spells. The difference is Clerics low level spells become more useful at higher levels. Spells like Draw Upon Holy Might can become insanely powerful.

True, although dropping Bless + Chant before a more difficult fight can work wonders regardless of your caster level. This problem is just more noticeable at level 2 because unlike levels 1 and 3, you can just fill up on healing spells if you have nothing better to do (Goodberry is far too tedious to bother with as a source of healing). On my Clerics I load up on Chant, Hold Person, and Silence in the second level spell slots because I can count on those being generally handy, but the Druid doesn't get any of those spells (or DUHM for that matter).
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    Kaigen said:

While a Cleric can just prepare a bunch of Chant spells if he doesn't have a specific situation to prepare for and count on using them, my Druids often end up not touching their second level spells because I didn't need fire damage and didn't encounter any poisonous enemies that day.

Agreed. I think changing Goodberry to a single item that heals 5hp would help soothe this. As it stands now, Goodberry is the spell you suggest. The one you can be relatively sure you'll use. But it's prohibitively time-consuming to use. I've clicked through 20 berries before, in low levels, in dire situations. It's ridiculous.
    @Kaigen. I don't NOT agree with you. To be perfectly frank, I never was a HUGE Druid fan. I play Jaheira as a normal part of my party, but 99% of her low level casting is Cure Light Wounds. If there were better and more useful spells, I might make use of them, but I can't honestly tell you what they are or should be.

As for Slow poison being situational, you are right. BUT..... How many poison dealing monsters are there in the game? Quite a few. Cloakwood is rife with giant spiders of all description and finding yourself without a Slow poison or a potion of Antidote is a recipe for dead characters. At low level, characters are particularly succeptable to poison. Not so at higher levels. For my money, Slow poison is kind of like a condom. I'd rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
    Kaigen said:

I don't often find low level spells useful for either early in the game. Generally every slot is needed for healing spells. The difference is Clerics low level spells become more useful at higher levels. Spells like Draw Upon Holy Might can become insanely powerful.

True, although dropping Bless + Chant before a more difficult fight can work wonders regardless of your caster level. This problem is just more noticeable at level 2 because unlike levels 1 and 3, you can just fill up on healing spells if you have nothing better to do (Goodberry is far too tedious to bother with as a source of healing). On my Clerics I load up on Chant, Hold Person, and Silence in the second level spell slots because I can count on those being generally handy, but the Druid doesn't get any of those spells (or DUHM for that matter).

Bless + Chant + Hold are very good spells I'll agree. Still I find the most useful spells to be cure wounds and slow poison in BG1. I usually load up on them because being poisoned means death in this game. If I have two healers I'll usually assign 2nd and 3rd circle cleric spells Hold Person or Remove Paralysis.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Where is Faerie Fire? It'd be great to stack with Doom for even more L1 Debuff magic.
    Madhax said:

L1 Sunscorch
    Casting Time : .4 round
    Effect : A brilliant ray of scorching heat slants from the sky and
    strikes the target.
    a. Undead and light-sensitive creatures...
    1. Suffer [casterlevel x 2] + [1 to 6] fire damage,
    maximum average damage of 63.5.
    AC) for 3 rounds.
    b. Other creatures...
    1. Suffer [casterlevel + [1 to 6]] fire damage,
    maximum average damage of 33.5.
    AC) for 3 rounds.

I gotta say, WOW. Is there a 'To Hit' roll? Or is it just automatic?

Magic Missile caps at 5 missiles? Damage is 5D4+5. Average max damage is 15? Ok, sure it is automatic hit provided you aren't protected against it, but that doesn't offset max average damage of 63.5/33.5. Even at 9th level (where MM caps), this spell is doing average 18+3.5. Must be nice....
    I wouldn't mind having a single target root/snare type spell. I'm a big fan of the Everquest Druid. It was one of my favorite classes all time in EQ original version. They had some really nice regeneration spells. I'm pretty sure they were based heavily on D&D 1st and 2nd edition Druids. There were also some nice spells to travel around.