Skip to content

New and old cinematics

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
Hello everybody. I'd just like to ask if anybody knows whether the beginning/end movies will be changed as well, because that'd be a crying shame if they were. The in-between area ones for sure, but not the good old epic sauce movies.

I like the old cinematics. I think there is the potential that new artwork can, despite being very nice, be completely inappropiate and unmatching compared to what was already made 14 years ago.

That being said I not only enjoy the old cinematics for their pre-2000 3D graphics (I miss the days when 3D was bad), but if by some chance the new ones don't work out then I'd like to have the option of choosing between them. Or at the very least having them as a choice when you go to the movie section of the game, the old ones should still be there.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, I have to say that I would prefer if they changed the cinematics, while the BG2 cinematics are fine the BG1 cinematics are really poor for this day and age.

I think they have already confirmed new cinematics (maybe in the style of what you get in the Icewind Dale games, that kind of cinematic stands the test of time more easily), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep the option of using the old ones. But yeah, I don't think there'll be a high demand for them.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Yes cinematics of BG1 are epic and remind me a lot of memories, i just want a better resolution
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2012
    Might be better if they do new movies, and include the old ones to watch, just for fun.

Also they should include this movie, now optomized with modem internet play. xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUakcYEkew
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Yes, since they're replacing the original movies at least in part, I'd like there to be somewhere you can go in-game to watch them, like in an Extras Tab. For sure I hope they never replace the opening Nietzsche-quote movie ever. If they spruce up the resolution, fine, but the movie itself is canon.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    The BG1 prologue cinematic "I will be the last..." gives me more tingles than "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius..." and that's quite the feat. Please don't change that one.

That said, the intro to FAI, Gnoll Stronghold and various mines could be redone without too much complaint from me. The FAI music is the only memorable bit to it all.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I wouldn't mind remastering the original cinematics. I wouldn't want the content to be changed, but would anyone really be bothered by the same cinematic rendered with a more modern engine?...
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Anyone savvy (Trent's boys) with imaging and rendering could easily clean up the grain and textures of the original videos. I reckon that's what they should've done from the start instead of make illustrated ones. Like I said the ground is very muddy so anything like new artwork and movies too, can go wrong.

@Zymran86

I remember being made to watch that EVERYTIME I installed my game. I hope it's still there. :(
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    When in doubt, leave it as a choice.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @Zymran86 "Enemies that hide behind walls and sneak up behind you!" Blows my mind every time...(!)