Skip to content

Throwing dagger weight

So, I have been noticing that throwing daggers are heavy, especially if you buy a lot of them to keep around as you use them. Is there a bag or something to make them weightless/ weigh less? If not I think this needs to be fixed because characters are able to carry a many hundreds of arrows and for throwing daggers for the same character only 80.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Well, there are a vew cases or perhaps even a bag of holding to store them away. The only downside would be that you can't use them while they are in such containers.

Personally I'd like to see any items to have some sort of weight though: including the weightless darts, bullets/stones, arrows, bolts, boo and gold coins just for the hell of it.
  • Gustx8Gustx8 Member Posts: 47
    I would have no trouble with some sort of weight thats it's fine, but as long as it like .1. especially for the stackable items.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gustx8Gustx8 Member Posts: 47
    i haven't found very many throwing daggers recently. I will be honest tho I am taking my time and playing the chapter three quests thoroughly.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    You think throwing daggers are bad?

Try having Kagain use his Axe skill for throwing axes.

He can't.

They weigh 5 each.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Until you get the +2 axe that returns to your hand. Then it's alll good.
    True, but until that point throwing axes are out of the question for a non-insanely-strong character purely on grounds of how much they weigh.

A single stack of 20 axes weighs 100 and will hardly last you a few fights.... a usable amount like 60+ to do at least a zone or two before having to buy more you're looking at 300+
  • Yeah, the problem with Throwing Daggers and Throwing Axes is not just their weight, but the fact that hardly any enemies use them, so you can't count on resupplying in the field.

At least Belruel's Retort, the +1 Throwing Axes Taerom sells, only weigh 2 lbs. each, which is a bit easier to work with if you have a better strength than Kagain.
  • gustonguston Member Posts: 70
    The real problem is that you can't loot your trowing axes/daggers off the enemies you have killed. Sure arrow shafts break but daggers certainly don't. They are made of steel for goodness sake!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    While I agree that a dagger isn't going to be a pound each, I don't think there's a way for them to make each one .5 pounds or something, which is unfortunate.

As a result, I see it as a balancing factor. Throwing Daggers got a huge buff in BG:EE. They've always had a base 2 APR, which is pretty good; but they have a Strength bonus now. No other weapon has a base APR of 2 and a Strength bonus both. That's pretty wicked awesome.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure if it's actually possible to give something a non-integer weight in BG.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To me, the thing about throwing weapons isn't that they way a ton; it's that you can't retrieve them after combat.

Who ever heard of a dagger breaking when it hits a fleshy target?

If they had an effect where they would fall to the ground at the target's feet when thrown, you'd never need more than twenty in your inventory, which would allow you to survive without encumbering yourself needlessly--while still being realistically heavy.
    Yes, throwing daggers do have a Str bonus now... and are often used by mages who have the Str of cooked spaghetti.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Aosaw said:

To me, the thing about throwing weapons isn't that they way a ton; it's that you can't retrieve them after combat.

Who ever heard of a dagger breaking when it hits a fleshy target?

If they had an effect where they would fall to the ground at the target's feet when thrown, you'd never need more than twenty in your inventory, which would allow you to survive without encumbering yourself needlessly--while still being realistically heavy.

I would say thrown weapons should be retrievable if they hit their target, or something. Rewards you for not sucking ... or something. I know some games have done that and people seem to appreciate it, so.

Yes, throwing daggers do have a Str bonus now... and are often used by mages who have the Str of cooked spaghetti.

I'm sorry that you've never had the creativity to give a Dagger proficiency or two on someone with 18/?? Strength? That's kinda your fault, not Overhaul's.
    Hey I'm just saying that how it often defaults.. most thieves have shortsword/bow skill, mages insist on having dagger or occasionally staff as their first (seriously? You have the HP of a dry weed and no armour, but you decide that for adventuring you want a melee weapon???! so much for smart mages lol)

That said with the changes a chaname with 18 odd Str and dagger skill may be interesting.
  • Going off the base weapons, any Mage with 16 Str or higher gets the most bang for the buck out of throwing daggers. Lower than that, and darts are the best option. Of course, there aren't any magical throwing daggers (returning or no) in BGEE, so darts end up being better anyway. Slings are mainly for people who want to be able to autopilot their Mages when they aren't casting spells (Unless you roll an 18 Str mage and give them the Tome of Str...), or who don't want to drop a lot of cash on elemental darts. You have to keep an eye on dart throwers, since they won't "reload" from inventory when the stack runs out.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I wasn't sure if a throwing dagger counts as a dagger-dagger, proficiency-wise, and just gave Shar-Teel the ones I found on skelly remains in High Hedge. A maybe-proficiency in daggers was the only ranged one she had, which was better than, umm, none at all. It's not been too bad - allows Miss 9 Con to wear a shield, makes use of her weird proficiencies... but in the end, it's a pretty big turn off that there are no magical daggers. Sure, they have strength bonus instead, which does a lot for Shar-Teel, but that only balances the lack of +1/+2 for me, not effects like poison, stunning, lightning. Strength bonus also changes nothing if creatures can only be hit by magical weapons. Even slings have at least +1 ammo. THAT is the dagger throwning issue, not really their weight. In doubt, you could always have a powerhouse like Dorn, Shar-Teel, Kivan or Minsc carry some. Throwing daggers could be such a nice and interesting alternative, but they'd need something to make up for not being magical/having no magical versions.
    edited January 2013
    Kaigen said:

You have to keep an eye on dart throwers, since they won't "reload" from inventory when the stack runs out.

Neither do arrows/bolts/stones. Which annoys the hell outta me. If you have 3 quiver slots filled, what's the point of automatically switching to melee if one of them is empty? Am I missing something here, like a button saying "auto-use next slot"?

• @KidCarnival Arrows/Bolts/Stones auto-reload if you have another stack of the exact same ammo in the quiver. So if you're firing normal arrows and the stack runs out, it will switch to another stack of normal arrows if one is in the quiver. If the other quiver slots have, say, +1 arrows and Arrows of Fire, the character will go to melee rather than change ammo type. I believe this is to keep players from accidentally wasting rare ammo (or worse, firing arrows of detonation at someone in the middle of your party).

On the subject of throwing daggers, I'd be happy with a magical +1 returning dagger. I may make one myself if it ever bothers me enough.
    How useless. I sort rare ammo in the inventory (said detonation arrows, the rare polymorph bolt,...). Would be nice if there was an option to switch it on for mixed ammo.

About the dagger... YES, please do. Returning +1 with 5 % chance to stun enemy. Because, there is a good chance the dagger bounces off a helm, but still makes a pretty big bang on impact.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Kaigen said:

@KidCarnival Arrows/Bolts/Stones auto-reload if you have another stack of the exact same ammo in the quiver. So if you're firing normal arrows and the stack runs out, it will switch to another stack of normal arrows if one is in the quiver. If the other quiver slots have, say, +1 arrows and Arrows of Fire, the character will go to melee rather than change ammo type. I believe this is to keep players from accidentally wasting rare ammo (or worse, firing arrows of detonation at someone in the middle of your party).

Really? Is this a new feature? In Vanilla it would always switch from slot to slot as long as it was ammo for the weapon you were using - it didn't matter if one was plain and one magicial.

Darts and daggers are an issue becuase they don't go into the quiver slots but right into a weapon slot and I don't think you can equip two slots with them - it was even more of an issue with vanilla due to smaller stacks - only 10 IIRC. (20 for arrows, bolts etc).

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Wanderon said:

Kaigen said:

@KidCarnival Arrows/Bolts/Stones auto-reload if you have another stack of the exact same ammo in the quiver. So if you're firing normal arrows and the stack runs out, it will switch to another stack of normal arrows if one is in the quiver. If the other quiver slots have, say, +1 arrows and Arrows of Fire, the character will go to melee rather than change ammo type. I believe this is to keep players from accidentally wasting rare ammo (or worse, firing arrows of detonation at someone in the middle of your party).

Really? Is this a new feature? In Vanilla it would always switch from slot to slot as long as it was ammo for the weapon you were using - it didn't matter if one was plain and one magicial.
    Yeah that's how it works in BG:EE, although I've thought of it more as a bug than a feature. No idea if it was intended or not.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Hopefully Wisp gets the Rogue Rebalancing shops working with BG:EE. I loved the Returning Frost Dart +1 you could buy for my Mage, and there also was a Returning Dagger +1 for sale in the mod as well.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    They (developers) should just make a magic throwing dagger, that comes back to your inventory after each throw. Just like throwing axe, that is already in the game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bhaaldog said:

Kirkor said:

They (developers) should just make a magic throwing dagger, that comes back to your inventory after each throw. Just like throwing axe, that is already in the game.

I thought there was one in BG2? Firetooth?

There are two in BG2, Fire Tooth and the Boomerang Dagger. It'd be nice to have one in BGEE, though.