Skip to content

Removing wizard writing spells limit

Hi, I was wondering if they could make a patch such that wizards do not have a limit to the amount of spells they can write into their spellbook based on their current intelligence points. Currently I am in Chapter 2 with the new wild mage Neera at level 3 and I can only write in 14 level 1 spells.

Maybe make it such that it is a gameplay option instead of making it a permenant game rule or at least make it the default for normal difficulty and easy difficulty?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    This can be accomplished fairly easily already with mods. There's a component of BG2tweaks that lets you remove the limit.

You can also get around this by drinking potions that increase your intelligence (potion of mind focusing gives +3, potion of genius gives +4). These potions stack with eachother and with themselves. What you can do is wait till you get a handful of spells that can't learn (because of your full spellbook) and then drink enough potions to get to 19 intelligence (lets you have unlimited spells in your book) and then copy them all.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    This is not a feature... this is looking at a game and deciding that you don't like its rules. For example in soccer someone might think field players should have an option to play with their hands too... What you are asking for is achievable with cheats or mods (for cheating)...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Bhaaldog said:

reposter said:

Hi, I was wondering if they could make a patch such that wizards do not have a limit to the amount of spells they can write into their spellbook based on their current intelligence points. Currently I am in Chapter 2 with the new wild mage Neera at level 3 and I can only write in 14 level 1 spells.

Maybe make it such that it is a gameplay option instead of making it a permenant game rule or at least make it the default for normal difficulty and easy difficulty?

"14 level 1 spells" is actually quite alot... or at least it was in the original
    Yeah, just how many more spells do you need? I like versatility and all, but keeping swill like Shocking Grasp or Armor in your mage book after you have a few levels under your belt is a waste of time if there are better spells to take. And you might as well delete Find Familiar as soon as you cast it once, unless you plan on having your first familiar die on you.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I actually think that the cap is necessary. Intelligence is useless enough already, may as well give it some use.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Actually, the spell writing limit is an optional PnP rule, the only one that is absolutely required (that BG doesn't enforce, ironically) is the minimum int to cast spells of certain levels. (9 up to 4th, 10-11 5th, 12-13 6th, 14-15 7th, 16-17 8th, 18-19 9th, 20+ 10th)

Let me put it like this....sorcerers get all known spells you could ever need, if you pick them carefully. They cap out at 5 per level up to 7th, 8th/9th which is 4 per level (and all 10th level, when they're only supposed to know 2, but could cast those 2 spells 5 times, vs 4 for a mage), and cannot change them. A 9 int mage (the minimum possible) has 6 spells known per level, and can erase or add new ones whenever (though you have a horribly crappy scribe chance with int that low). You have plenty of space.