Skip to content

New Player Select-able Portraits in Non-Custom Menu?

PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
edited January 2013 in General Modding
All,

I'm currently making a new "Ultimate Portrait Pack" for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I made an older one for the normal BG games (http://www.moddb.com/games/baldurs-gate-ii/addons/ultimate-portrait-pack-baldurs-gate-i-ii)

However I'm thinking of making this portrait pack both more comprehensive and more polished. Anyway I want to add the portraits so that they are player select-able from the normal menu rather than through a special menu (please see the below image). If anyone could help me out that would be great. This may make the portrait pack mod distribution - but I would like for users to be able to execute a file that installs everything to the correct directory anyway.

Edit: Well crap - may not have been clear that I was asking how to do this: Please see below - I want to put portraits in the red area, instead of becoming available through a custom button in the blue area (default behavior). Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Post edited by Paheej on

Comments

• PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Well, damn. Anyone have any idea what file controls the list of portraits that gets cycled through here? I'm guessing it shouldn't be that hard but was hoping someone could get me started so I can power through this on the weekend.

Right now it looks like the best way to do this is going to be to look for all references to the new portrait files.

Also is this place the hub for modding BG:EE or should I be using PocketPlane, G3, or Spellhold? Not sure where the current modding resources are centralized.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I hope you get an answer, I'd like to know too.
    Ok, well, looks like I'll have to investigate this on my own then. I'll post all related info in this thread in order to help someone out if they are trying to do the same thing.

First thing I've done is taken a look at the following file to try to figure out the filenames of the added Manley portraits. From there I will attempt to look through the rest of the games files and see where those portrait filenames are referenced. It stands to reason that wherever there are references to these Manley portraits is where we will find the list or reference to an array where values are stored for the portrait list.

I used WINBIFF (teambg - http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=skmrqj8le9frgtqq4tj4ir6rj4&action=downloads;sa=view;down=66) to open up the following file in the BG:EE directory.

Data/00766/chitin.key

This will then display a directory of most (maybe all?) of the bif files available. From there I opened:

data/portraits.bif

Then extracted all the available portraits to a new file to view. Found some interesting things.

The new BG:EE PC portraits are stored as . . .

MANLEY#L.bmp (where "#" is a number from "1" to "X") (and the last "L" is a placeholder for size)

The new portraits - for their small right sidebar portraits do not have the "correct" head to canvas ratio. Interesting - I will have to fix this.

Next up - finding all references to the new MANLEY portraits in other game files. Any ideas?
    The search is on . . .

Ok so I opened up the default.bif file and extracted all its contents. Thinking that their would be a reference to the portraits in the Portrait.2da file I opened it first. I thought I hit the gold mine but apparently it only has what are the replacement portraits for characters if you select their portrait from the portrait selection screen.

I then ran a Find (CTRL+F) on all open documents in Notepad++ (opened up everything in Notepad++ then ran a single find on all open documents). I searched "Manley" but nothing came up. Time to check out the other files then.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The portrait selection sequence is hard-coded, at least for the moment; so the best you can do right now is name the portrait using the same file name as an existing portrait (Manley1L, for instance) and put it in the override folder so it replaces it.
    edited January 2013
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    The portraits are in BGEE.sql which the current DLTCEP can extract. You just have to add a row to the portraits table.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    edited January 2013
    Like this. But with a portrait that is the right size.
    @Coriander
    DUDE, YOU'RE A BOSS will try in a few minutes.

Unfortunately I have to write some SQL code for work first.
    edited January 2013
    Coriander said:

The portraits are in BGEE.sql which the current DLTCEP can extract. You just have to add a row to the portraits table.

Just for reference this file is in data/GUIBGEE.bif

Had to do a search with DLTCEP to find it.
    edited January 2013
    CORIANDER YOU ARE AWESOME AND THIS IS A WILD SUCCESS.