Skip to content

Help me with my party

Well its my first adventure for BG1 and i cant decide which party ima do.

I have this atm:

ME: Pure thief. (maybe i dualmyself to warrior also in a future)
Dorn
Ajantis
Imoen. (i want to dual her to a mage, at what lvl is the best to dual her?)
Minsc

and for last char i cant decide.

Should i take Edwin or Neera?

Maybe another member? i dont know. what u suggest? ty for help

Comments

• hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2013
    No reason to dual from a pure thief to a warrior, maybe if you were a bounty hunter or assassin for their extra perks, since you cannot dual class to a kit.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Neera, since both Minsc and Ajantis may attack Edwin and fight to the death. Or take Xan as mage.
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151

Neera, since both Minsc and Ajantis may attack Edwin and fight to the death. Or take Xan as mage.

But that happens Randomly? cuz had them for a while and they had no problem

Also where i get xan and between neera and xan whats better?
    There is a good chance Ajantis will attack evil NPCs. As I said in the other topic, it doesn't happen right away, so just because you had him in a party with another NPC and he didn't complain, it doesn't mean it won't happen later.

You will meet Xan during your travels. This is a non-spoiler section of the forum, so that's all I can tell you. It depends on your party and taste who is better. Neera is a wild mage and Xan is an enchanter. You can read their descriptions and decide what's better for your style and party. Both are neutral aligned.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2013
    @GaNoN - I highly prefer Neera to Xan and it's a toss up between her and Edwin. Edwin is probably much more reliable with destructive power and more spell slots and more HP. Neera has a lot to offer at start up and is a really fun character/ competitive to Edwin if you give her the the Tome of INT with spell slots for the most part. AAAANNND she can cast identify which Edwin can't. Because of low CON she can take the Klaw of Kazaroth too.

I'm not that big on Ajantis and never take him but he does hate a lot of evil NPC's...he will attack some over time and it's probably hilarious when it happens. And fatal for someone.

Also Edwin and Ajantis probably don't mesh well either sine Edwin is so blatantly selfish/evil and NEEDS you to commit a murder in order to keep him.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2013
    Edwin and Neera are both fantastic characters. Edwin and Minsc don't get along so great though, especially if you kill Dynaheir. I'd take Neera for now and save Edwin for an evil playthrough. Though he now has competition with a pretty fantastic sorcerer...

Also you appear to be lacking a cleric and you're very fighter-heavy (two paladins and a ranger). Considered dumping one of them for Branwen, Viconia, or one of the druids?

Oh, and since you're playing a rogue, I'd dual Imoen asap if you really want her in your party at all.
    edited January 2013
    As far as I know, Viconia is the only evil NPC Ajantis will tolerate. It doesn't make sense, but it works to keep them in a party together. She's a cleric, so she should definitely be on your list. Or Branwen, neutral cleric, if you prefer. @Stargazer5781 gives good advice; drop Dorn, take him along on an evil playthrough later, and get a cleric instead. Dorn might clash with Ajantis too; the rest of your party is good-aligned, so he's the obvious one to kick out.
    Post edited by KidCarnival on
  • ThordThord Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    The thing about Dualing to Warrior is that you will lose Thief Skills until your Warrior side levels past your Thief side, for example if you dual at Thief level 6 to a Fighter you will have no Thief Skills until Warrior level 7. There are so many traps in the game that without a Thief their are places which are IMO impossible to do.

One way to level to the point of getting the Thief skills back is restart the game a few times (Export your Character and Import into the new game) and stay away from areas with a lot of Traps until you reach Warrior level 7 or whatever you need. As Imoen would say "BOOOOOOOORING".

Imoen is a great Thief/Mage. The best time to dual her is now if you don't want to restart to get her thief skills back asap for the Traps. Some say the best time to Dual to a Thief/Mage would be about 6 or 7 to get the Detect Traps to high numbers which can be 100 at those levels but the problem with that would be that in Single Player Imoen will be a very low level Mage at the end of the game so not much use as a Mage IMHO.

I am sure you will play through more than once. Having a multi class character which includes Thief would make things easier, anything with Thief and Fighter (I like Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief) is nice with the backstab from the Thief, extra health from the Fighter. If you want to Dual to something you might like to try Warrior/something for the health. Personally I don't think there is a need for two Thieves unless you have Stealth on a Warrior/Thief for backstab and Traps on the other.
    Thord said:

One way to level to the point of getting the Thief skills back is restart the game a few times (Export your Character and Import into the new game)

Except NPCs will adjust to your level and you don't have the option to give them skills and proficiencies that you want. If you start a game as level 7, the NPCs will be around level 6 when you get them and may have messed up their skills.

Edwin and Neera are both fantastic characters. Edwin and Minsc don't get along so great though, especially if you kill Dynaheir. I'd take Neera for now and save Edwin for an evil playthrough. Though he now has competition with a pretty fantastic sorcerer...

Also you appear to be lacking a cleric and you're very fighter-heavy (two paladins and a ranger). Considered dumping one of them for Branwen, Viconia, or one of the druids?

Oh, and since you're playing a rogue, I'd dual Imoen asap if you really want her in your party at all.

Should i get detect traps 100 first?

There is a good chance Ajantis will attack evil NPCs. As I said in the other topic, it doesn't happen right away, so just because you had him in a party with another NPC and he didn't complain, it doesn't mean it won't happen later.

You will meet Xan during your travels. This is a non-spoiler section of the forum, so that's all I can tell you. It depends on your party and taste who is better. Neera is a wild mage and Xan is an enchanter. You can read their descriptions and decide what's better for your style and party. Both are neutral aligned.

Maybe i should ditch Ajantis? Dorn is a must in a party no matter if im good or bad.

He is respectful. and very powerful.

Maybe i should replace ajantis with viconia, what do u think?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

GaNoN said:

Maybe i should ditch Ajantis? Dorn is a must in a party no matter if im good or bad.

He is respectful. and very powerful.

Maybe i should replace ajantis with viconia, what do u think?
    I am a big fan of Viconia!

Will i have enough tank power?

im using minsc and dron, heavy armored but on 2 handed weapons. what do u think?
    His charname is a thief. I'd say if you MUST keep Dorn, ditch Imoen and take Neera and Viconia. You already have thief skills covered and Neera is more interesting than Imoen (Neera has banters, personal quest and romance options; Imoen has none of that).
    If you decide to drop Ajantis, I suggest you get Kivan. I assume without Ajantis, you would have Minsc tank, so you need an archer. Kivan is one and you can get him early. This would result in a balanced party:

Charname - thief
    Minsc - tank
    Dorn - damage
    Neera - caster
    Viconia or Branwen - healer
    Kivan - archer
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Minsc starts proficient with maces. Get him a good mace and a shield, specialize him in maces, and give him some heavy armor, and he's a solid tank. Who can dual-wield maces as needed.

Don't forget that Minsc is on a quest to save his mage companion, Dynaheir. If you put off his quest too long, he'll attack you! And once you get her, she and Minsc are a package deal. There are ways around that, of course, but it might influence who you want as your primary mage in the party.
    Madhax said:

Minsc starts proficient with maces. Get him a good mace and a shield, specialize him in maces, and give him some heavy armor, and he's a solid tank. Who can dual-wield maces as needed.

Don't forget that Minsc is on a quest to save his mage companion, Dynaheir. If you put off his quest too long, he'll attack you! And once you get her, she and Minsc are a package deal. There are ways around that, of course, but it might influence who you want as your primary mage in the party.

Atm i use him with 2handed sword as he has mastery there.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    GaNoN said:

Madhax said:

Atm i use him with 2handed sword as he has mastery there.
    Sure, but if you want him to tank, you should consider dialing back his offense for a nice shield. I was just pointing out that he's already proficient with a 1-handed weapon.
  • PalantPalant Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    I start new game this morning and have next party:

Charname - pure fighter (i don't like other roles for main char) - with single sword style and long swords
    Dorn - Aura of Despair is awesome. And only Dorn has it.
    Viconia - best Cleric in game. Gloves of Ogre Strength + Sling = Awesome dmg
    Neera - Best Mage. All Schools and +1 Slot. And it's funny. Maybe i can polymorph BigBadBoss with some luck? xD
    Okay. We need thief and archer. The best one is Coran. 20 Dex. Mastery in bows.
    And last one: Imoen thief 6 / Mage 9 will be good choice. Or take Faldorn (10 lvl Druid is awesome).

Sorry for bad English.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    Palant said:

Charname - pure fighter (i don't like other roles for main char) - with single sword style and long swords
    Neera - Best Mage. All Schools and +1 Slot. And it's funny. Maybe i can polymorph BigBadBoss with some luck? xD
    And last one: Imoen thief 6 / Mage 9 will be good choice. Or take Faldorn (10 lvl Druid is awesome).

Sorry for bad English.

For a pure fighter charname, having 2-3 pips in longbow is handy, you can get a few kill shots before enemies close in to melee. Makes your fighter more than just a meatshield.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Palant said:

Sorry for bad English.

I would make your CHARNAME your main archer. Mixing good and evil characters in the same party makes reputation managment a chore if you are inexprienced. Consider using Montaron, Shar-teel (dual classed), Safana or Skie (+Eldoth) for your main thief.

Oh, and it isn't only Dorn one who can have Aura of Despair. You could make CHARNAME a Blackguard, and have it yourself. And still pretty much take a pure fighter role.
    Dualed Shar-Teel would be my choice of thief in that party. Her stats scream ranged fighter, and she can also make use of some more exotic weapons (throwing daggers or axes), which can make a nice change.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As a general recommendation dualling thief to fighter isn't as good as the other way around. Dualling at fighter level 3 or 7 will give you a the ability to grandmaster a weapon of choice. A level 3 dual has minimal downtime due to rapid thief levelling but level 7 duals get an additional 1/2 attack, which can tip the balance.

If you want to cover melee and thief skills in one package then a multiclass fighter/thief avoids downtime and stays effective for the entire game. I ran one through recently and it was a lot less annoying than having a period of downtime. You miss out on grandmastery but get continued fighter THAC0 progression which offsets it.
  • SidekickSidekick Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if 18 Charisma will keep your party from fighting similarly to keeping evil chars in your party when you have too much rep?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2013
    Charisma has no effect on Evil NPCs leaving when your reputation is too high, ot Good NPCs leaving because it's low.

All it does is postpone/stop hostile intra-party banters.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If party leader's Charisma is 18 there should be no bickering between any NPCs that might have a fight.
  • ioanguioangu Member Posts: 12
    @Lemernis‌
    Are you sure about the 18 charisma? I always thought the conflicts were scripted and not charisma related.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Not one hundred percent sure. But I've used the pairs multiple times for full games and the only time I ever saw the fight break out was when I played a game with a relatively low Cha (single digit) character as party leader. And it was fairly late in the game. But anyway, I've played entire games with both pairs and the fight never materialized.