Skip to content

[Bugfix] Game crashes when equipping off-hand weapons

13»

Comments

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863

Regardless, IA is pretty straightforward to use; I just doubt it will be compatible with BG:EE for release. @Miloch may confirm or deny.

It is unlikely IA will be compatible with BG:EE since the former relies on a standard ToB engine executable to patch it. On top of that, it expects a known game such as BG2, BGT or Tutu (it was never compatible with BG1 on principle) in order to patch the resources from those games. So it would take some work to make it compatible with BG:EE (which requires me having a playable BG:EE, hopefully in the next build).
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525

it's massively onerous for something that doesn't even feature in the ToB engine.

BG1 character animations deserve this kind of care/attention and a lot more ... at least, they do in the mind of BG1 bitches like yours truly ;-) But yeah: As stated, I agree that once the requests in the OP are taken care of, the devs' role ends and the whole thing enters modders' alley ( @erephine being the most obvious candidate for an excellent work, provided that she has the time and will to work on it).
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Well, since we have found out that the engine auto-upscales anything graphically, the devs could just include the BG1 animation files in the data, and we could use them via an editor or something, although, indeed, if we wanted to use them on a large scale for -almost- every character in game, i guess we would have to use a compatible Infinity Animations or something.

Let's hope we will be able to at least use them if we want to, and then everything will slowly be put in place.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @AndreaColombo

The devs have alluded that WotC have the IWD assets, correct? Wouldn't that include the BG1 animations? If so, even more reason to pursue an IWD:EE project.. they could add updated BG1 animations to BG:EE waaaaay down the line.

(HoW / TotLM switched IWD over to the BG2 anims, iirc).
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2012
    hmm, was IWD like BG1 when it came to animations? (ignoring spells of course)

Also wouldn't it be Interplay/Black Isle who has the source art and such?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Yes, IWD 1 (w/o HoW) used the BG1 animations.

Black Isle certainly generated the source art, but depending on the contract between Bioware / Interplay / WotC, any and all parties could have had copies of the source art. There is definitely a quote from Trent somewhere regarding WotC having some IWD assets, but I can't find it at the moment nor do I remember how specific it was.
    I have no idea whether the IWD assets exist, and whether they still include BG1 animations. Since several art assets were shared between IWD and BG1, a contract for IWD might make BG:HD a possibility provided the source art is there. However, that won't fix the lack of dual wielding support for BG1 animations, which is what I'm looking into :-)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

I have no idea whether the IWD assets exist, and whether they still include BG1 animations. Since several art assets were shared between IWD and BG1, a contract for IWD might make BG:HD a possibility provided the source art is there. However, that won't fix the lack of dual wielding support for BG1 animations, which is what I'm looking into :-)

I suggested to Trent a couple months back to check with the guys who did IWD series. I wonder if all the BG code and art was sent to them.

Well, now that the game is stalled, it should mean we have more hopes of seeing a fix in this, which would mean our beloved BG1 sprites would be on the road of becoming a legitimate choice for everyone!( besides non-dual wielders) ^_^
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    Someone needs to actually take on this responsibility if we want to see this included.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    It seems to be in high demand.
    edited September 2012
    What happened to the fix suggested by Scott Brooks? Does it work?

And also, are the devs going to fix it, or should the modders do something about it?

There is a request going on in Featured Requests for the devs to at least include the data in the game, but, do we know what actually happened with the fix? It would be even more demanded if we had something about that.

Oster said something about taking time to fix bugs till release, but i have no idea if he meant about this one.

P.S. Do you think we should tag someone from the devs and ask directly (maybe Scott Brooks)? They don't seem to answer about this lately though when we ask so i don't know :p
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    The only fix was to prevent the crash associated with a 9-length file name. That probably is about 2% of the whole picture.
    I don't really know the whole picture, but i know that i have no idea what is happening concerning the issue.

There hasn't been a word since.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    DO I understand it right that now (after this bug has ben fixed (?) I will be able to set some custom appearance (model) and equip it with 2 swords?
    edited September 2012
    @Anton - Nope. Once the CTD is fixed you may restore BG1 animations without the game crashing if any character using them equips a weapon in the off-hand at any given time. However, nothing would show up in either hand if you equip BG1 animations with two weapons, as the relative weapon animations (and attack animations, for that matter) do not exist. As a bonus, even if they existed BG1 animations wouldn't currently support them.

If #2 in the OP were also fixed, then BG1 animations would support the missing animation work, which could subsequently be created and added. That would require A LOT of tedious monkey work, which would not be a problem for me but it could take a long while to finish (my new job leaves me no time to do BG-related stuff Monday till Friday; in fact, you could fill a weekend with the things my job doesn't let me do Monday till Friday, and that's exactly what I'm doing).
    Well, let's at least find out what they intend to do with it, and if they even intend to make the BG1 animations available anyway, will be a shame if they're not included in the data. The rest can become a work in progress.
    I've been authorized by the big boss to let you know the CTD has been fixed.
    Does this mean they intend to allow us to use the BG1 anims if we want? :]

a.k.a., are they including them? :D

P.S. Tell the big boss thank you :p
    @Mornmagor - That I would not know. I sure hope so.

Consider the big boss thanked ;-)
    edited October 2012
    Well, there would be no point in even attempting to fix the crash if they were not intending to allow their use optionally, so logic is with us here :P

Btw, take a look at this o_O :

"@DimitriKaranika No sword sheaths or Quivers. The character artwork is based on a mix of the BG1, BG2 and 1PP work. "

Oster says on Twitter, that it is a mix bg2, 1pp that is included AND bg1?

Interesting :p
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226

I've been authorized by the big boss to let you know the CTD has been fixed.

Hells yea! *HIGHFIVE*
    @Mornmagor - it is a mix of BG2, BG1 and 1PP because it's using BG2 avatars, BG1 shields and 1PP paperdolls and avatar fixes. Unfortunately, no word on BG1 character animations yet (bear in mind that the CTD used to occur when making any BG1 animation dual wield, not just character animations).
    Oh well, the hopes of inclusion for optional use at least are solid :] , there would not be any reason to try to fix the CTD elseway.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    CTD has been fixed so moving thread.
    @Balquo - The CTD has been fixed, but everything else in the OP hasn't.

Also, you've got a PM.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited November 2012
    @AndreaColombo Ah ok :P I was basing it on the thread title

EDIT: Moved it back from fixed.