Skip to content

losing multiplayer characters to Basilisks

I'm playing BG in multiplayer mode in order to have my own custom group. everything was going fine until I ran into a Basilisk. after i used a stone to flesh scroll I find that my characters need to rejoin from the creation section and when they rejoin all of their equipment is lost.
Is there any way to avoid this happening, besides avoiding Basilisks?
Thanks

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've never run into this problem, but if this type of death dumps the character out of your party, you might be hosed. Time to reload.

Since this is the New Players subforum, I should add: Avoiding petrification is relatively easy. Simply cast the low-level Protection from Petrification spell on one or two heavily-armored characters in your party, and have them at the front lines when you engage the Basilisks. Unless you accidentally set yourself up to be flanked, you'll never lose a character to petrification this way. Other strategies include using summons to soak up the gaze attacks, especially undead summons who are immune to the gaze.
  • boojiesdadboojiesdad Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the tactical work-around Madhax!
    I will use it if I cant find another solution.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Also remember Basilisks actually do little or no damage in melee. So I often take a single protected character into all the basilisk fights, and leave the whole rest of the party cooling their heals (enjoying a lovely picnic while Tank A goes off on a lizard hunt...)
    toanwrath
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    atcDave said:

Also remember Basilisks actually do little or no damage in melee. So I often take a single protected character into all the basilisk fights, and leave the whole rest of the party cooling their heals (enjoying a lovely picnic while Tank A goes off on a lizard hunt...)

Exactly what I do. Glad I am not the only one who enjoys picnics...I mean solo-ing basilisks :D
    atcDaveHeindrich
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    or just use a certain friendly ghoul to do the tanking
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You can blind them too with Blindness (level 1) or Glitterdust (level 2). They just stand around and can't use their ranged attack.
  • boojiesdadboojiesdad Member Posts: 11
    Thanks guys. Looks like I gotta go to High Hedge and see a man about some scrolls.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    You don't have to reload. Just modify party and export/import your lost character from older save.
    Avoiding this situation is quite easy. In this location is friendly ghoul Korax, allow him to join you and tank those lizards. Another "tank" could be your familiar (if your charname is mage or multiclass mage): Psuedo Dragon (Lawful good), ferret (Lawful neutral), rabbit (true neutral), cat (chaotic neutral). All of them have 50% magic ressistance which is... awesome. :)
    And of course, there is Protection from Petrification, level 1 arcane spell.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I frankly wouldn't send a familiar with a 50/50 chance against the basilisks. The neutral evil familiar is effective against them though; mephit casts Glitterdust.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    My battle-cat can handle everything!
    To be honest it was an accident. Scouting cat was suddenly attacked by 3 basilisks. Tanking with it on purpose is really idiotic idea.
  • JonnanJonnan Member Posts: 1
    It is worth noting that several familiars are flatly immune to Petrification. Just about the only time my Pseudo-Dragon comes out of the pack is when I'm going Basilisk hunting or cast invisibility on him and use as a scout.
    JuliusBorisov