Skip to content

Artifacts...

Just wondering if theres any artifacts in bgee or are they in bg 2?

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Define artifact.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    "Magical items of enormous power" I believe.

And yes, they're in Baldur's Gate 2, not in Baldur's Gate 1 or Enhanced Edition.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    yeah i was talking about artifacts like robe of vecna,etc.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    What about Baldurans butter knife? Also the idol of kozah... But as far as magical artifacts, the cloak of balduran is probably the closest thing
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

Oh you over powered items? ;)

Mace of Stupifier comes close I think.

I'd make a case that the Cloak of Balduran was a contender for minor artifact, 25% Magic Resistance on top of being a cloak of protection +1 without being a cloak of protection is one of the better things out there.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Pantalion said:

I'd make a case that the Cloak of Balduran was a contender for minor artifact, 25% Magic Resistance on top of being a cloak of protection +1 without being a cloak of protection is one of the better things out there.

Do you mean that it stacks with say ring of protection +1?

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Not really...the cloak of Balduran is just a Mantle of Magic resistance with a Amulet of Protection used for it's clasp. It's a moderately high level item to be sure...but...hardly an Artifact. Now the cloak of Mirrioring on the other hand......as it is in game, is definitely an Artifact, (In PnP it would only have 1-3 uses of Spell turning per day roughly...still nice..but not ridiculously OP like it currently is).

Generally, an Artifact is any item too powerful for a character to create within the game system's crafting mechanics. Mantles of Magic resistance require level 12 to make, and actually combining it with an amulet of protection is just a matter of paying the costs involved. (2nd edition is more ad hoc with that sort of thing then 3rd edition, but generally, a DM would probably allow it, as long as you didn't try using higher then a +3 protection bonus..and he's probably make you give up your necklace slot to wear it, since the clasp would be in roughly the same position as a necklace).

PnP doesn't really restrict to just using single magic items, it just only allows the best of a particular type to work at a time, so you could wear a bunch of protection items, but only the best one would actually apply in each case. Though if you had a helm that say, gave just +2 ac, and a ring that +1 ac/save, you'd get the +2 ac from the helm, and the +1 saves from the ring.

3rd edition just clearly defined each type, and what stacked with what.

in 2nd Edition, Armor is armor, and gear that provides other bonuses, only the best was used. Shields were their own separate thing and only applied to attacks from the front and to the side, towards the arm you were wielding you shield with, and could usually only apply to 1 attack per round. (Sword and Shield style allowed you to apply it an additional time per round per point, in addition to increasing AC by 1 and 2 each point. And 2 points allowed to you make an attack with your shield (1d4+ (+1 for buckers, +2 for small shields, +3 for large shields, tower shields though were too bulky to attack with) + str) once per round, but losing your AC bonus till your next round.)
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    What about the pantaloons? Which you need in the next game for .......
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Cuv said:

@Cuv where can i find such gold pantaloons? :D

Zeratul said:

Cuv said:

@Cuv where can i find such gold pantaloons? :D

A nobleman on the second floor of the FAI tells u to go wash them.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Wilbur said:

Pantalion said:

Do you mean that it stacks with say ring of protection +1?

It even stacks with ring of protection +2 ;-)

that's why this cloak + full plate + ring of protection +2 are so great :-)

Generally, an Artifact is any item too powerful for a character to create within the game system's crafting mechanics.

Is that a meaningful assertion in the context of Baldur's Gate?

As it stands, here you have an item that not only incorporates a Mantle of Magic resistance, but stacks with a Ring of Protection, meaning it itself is not one. If it's supposed to function as an Amulet of Magic Resistance does, then it would have a 5% chance of breaking every single time you even attempted to resist magic, it does not.

This compared to the shield, that does nothing beyond "Reflects Beholder Rays", "be +3" and carry a strength penalty? I know which one I'd say was the more potent.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    @ReadingRambo Thank you very much! It will be a pain let them behind only because i'm too lazy to talk to every commoner/nobleman
    The cloak of Balduran stacking is a bug (as is the Ring of Gaxx stacking). The no stacking thing is BG's attempt at enforcing the only the best magical protection works rule. Technically, magical armors shouldn't even be restricted, since the magical armor bonus is only supposed to be applied to your base armor score since it just makes the raw armor bonus better. Only other sources like rings, cloaks, and the like should be restricted under BG's system. (Shields and special weapons such as Defenders apply a misc bonus that stacks with every thing else, but is only supposed to work vs 1 attack each round or in the case of Defenders attacks from 1 opponent each round).

It's a shield that makes you invulnerable to the most powerful Non-Demigod/Demon Prince/Archfiend level creatures in DnD, and is pretty powerful on defenses as well...that's pretty potent, and it's effect implies it's not hindered by an anti-magic field which normally suppresses non-Artifact item's powers and quality for up to 1 round after they're no longer in the field, which would make the Shield useless against Beholders as they'd have their Main eye active at the beginning of their turn, close it, and then obliterate the wearer of the shield with eye beams before shield's abilities re-activated on it's owner's next turn.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I was under the impression that an Artifact was a unique magical item, one that could not be destroyed by normal means. Those with "pluses" normally were over +5 (like the Sword of Kas, a +6 fully Vorpal Blade, for example, or Stormbringer, the Soulstealing blade of Elric). I believe that Whelm, Wave, and Blackrazor from the White Plume Mountain adventure are all Artifacts as well. The Ring of Gaxx is an Artifact, as is the Machine of Lum the Mad, the Hand and Eye of Vecna, etc.

Many Artifacts were created with the help of Gods, for example. AFAIK, the Hammer of Thunderbolts is not an Artifact (as there are more than one). The Staff of the Magi is definitely not an Artifact (as there are more than one) and the Deck of Many Things is also not an Artifact (though certainly it is up there...).

Most Artifacts also have effects that are not so positive to the user/wielder, etc.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    How strong does an item have to be to be considered an "artifact". I remember playing HoMM IV and every single item in the game is called an "artifact".

Are we playing with that sort of definition or the definition where the only item that fits is the "Holy Grail Amulet +9001 of WTFIDidn'tTurnGodModeOn!?!?!?!?"
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    The term Artifact is actually defined in the DM's Guide.
    edited January 2013
    That's the equivalent of saying that you can see the colour of my dog by looking at it, and then not posting a picture.

On a forum for 2E Dnd where everyone and their mother has seen pictures of the forum's favourite dog it would be a valid comment, but on a video game forum for a game re-release that uses a ruleset ~12 years unofficial by now, you can't expect everyone to have a picture of your friendly dead dog.

EDIT: What I mean is for a topic like this to actually be helpful to anyone reading it a solid definition of artefact needs to be posted that isn't brief or incredibly ambiguous. Just listing items like "Flail of Ages +5" and "Crom Faeyr", one of which is regarded as being on the top shelf of the trophy cabinet while the other wallows with the rest of the generic magical items on the shelf below, doesn't help either when the reasons aren't followed by a typically random person who sees only random words flying around (i.e. me).

EDIT 2: While I'm posting stuff about definitions can someone tell me where to find this if it's such a great item:

Having looked pretty much everywhere for it I'm convinced that it's either in the special bonus place at the end of Chapter 4 (which my disc conveniently is missing (grr)), or an item introduced in some mod.
    Actually, the hammer of thunderbolts, Deck of many things, and Staff of the Magi ARE Artifacts, they're actually listed as such in the Dungeon Master's Guide. There's Minor and Major artifacts. Minor Artifacts are items that multiple copies exist, but are too advanced and powerful for people to craft under most circumstances anymore due to the rules of magic changing (other then extreme cases, like when Fzoul and Teldorn Darkhope created the Sceptor of the Tyrant's Eye minor Artifact with the aid of their god, Bane). While Major Artifacts are powerful, unique items.

The biggest way to tell is if they retain their abilities in an anti-magic field or resist targeted dispel magics or disjunctions. Only Artifacts are powerful enough to do that.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    Mathmick said:

That's the equivalent of saying that you can see the colour of my dog by looking at it, and then not posting a picture.

On a forum for 2E Dnd where everyone and their mother has seen pictures of the forum's favourite dog it would be a valid comment, but on a video game forum for a game re-release that uses a ruleset ~12 years unofficial by now, you can't expect everyone to have a picture of your friendly dead dog.

EDIT: What I mean is for a topic like this to actually be helpful to anyone reading it a solid definition of artefact needs to be posted that isn't brief or incredibly ambiguous. Just listing items like "Flail of Ages +5" and "Crom Faeyr", one of which is regarded as being on the top shelf of the trophy cabinet while the other wallows with the rest of the generic magical items on the shelf below, doesn't help either when the reasons aren't followed by a typically random person who sees only random words flying around (i.e. me).

EDIT 2: While I'm posting stuff about definitions can someone tell me where to find this if it's such a great item:

Having looked pretty much everywhere for it I'm convinced that it's either in the special bonus place at the end of Chapter 4 (which my disc conveniently is missing (grr)), or an item introduced in some mod.
    Actually i think i meant the hand and eye.

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Mathmick said:

It's sold by one of the 2 bonus merchants in BG2 (the merchants were originally only for pre-orders, but were eventually included for everyone in a patch).

Also, what special bonus place are you talking about?
    Saughin City. (I know I can't spell it).
    I'm almost positive the bonus merchant stuff is in the game even without the merchant add on. You could CLUA or Shadowkeeper them in. Again, ALMOST positive
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    Ahhh the good old days come flooding back , serching for the teeth of *devel-nar(spelt wrong I think) and our group all thinking the ring at the begining of 'White Plume Mountain ' could be the Ring of Gaxx..lol those Halcyon days
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    None of the items in BG2 really classify as artifacts using the P&P definition. P&P artifacts aren't just very powerful - they all have downsides - over time they will all either drain the user in some manner, change their alignment, etc.

There are a couple of artifacts mentioned in the 1st edition P&P version which appear in BG2 - the Ring of Gaxx and Machine of Lum the Mad are the two that spring to mind. However the BG2 versions don't have any of the drawbacks from the P&P version.

So the BG2 items are really just very powerful magical items.
    The Deck of many things has all it's downsides accounted for. And BG isn't based on 1st edition, it's based on 2nd edition, which did have Artifacts with no downsides, minor Artifacts usually don't have downsides, unless they're something like the Deck of Many Things, which is by design (when you're a society of beings who re-write reality on a whim, you need dangers like that just to keep things interesting). And out of the major ones...only the Hand/Eye of Vecna come to mind, the Sword of Kas is has no more downsides then any other intelligent evil weapon. Well..that one paladin's shield may or may not have a downside, depending on if you consider a non-stop urging to fight evil a nice trade off for having all the powers of a lvl 20 paladin, regardless of class (Like Lilacor, if he was a shield and was the definition of Lawful Good incarnate..but couldn't talk and instead bombarded your sub-conscious and dreams with visions of smiting evil constantly).
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190

I'm almost positive the bonus merchant stuff is in the game even without the merchant add on. You could CLUA or Shadowkeeper them in. Again, ALMOST positive

One of the patches officially added them for people that weren't special edition/pre-order (one of the two merchants was special edition, the other pre-order). And yes, I seem to recall you could CLUA them in. So if you remember them being there, and you didn't mod them in, then that probably just means your game patch was up-to-date.
    the patch only adds Deadrie, Joluv has to be modded in manually. They're both always in the game files, the patch just adds Daedrie to the adventure mart, and the bonus merchant mod just adds Joluv (and Daedrie if you haven't patched your game) to the copper coronet.