Skip to content

Bounty Hunter Help

I'm interested in playing the thief class and the Bounty Hunter seems interesting to me. Is it viable as a bounty hunter to stealth and back stab and then spread traps around in BG:EE? If it is viable how should I allocate my thief skills?

Thanks!

Comments

• mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    I can not tell you about stat allocation as I am no expert in min/max.

However from personal experience I can tell you that killing enemies primarily with traps can be somehow tiring gameplaywise. The traps are rarely ever enough meaning that you have to rest again and again. But if you are willing to do so then even dragons can fall easily (in BG2).

Also I should warn you that some undead take reduced damage from slashing and piercing weapons. Which means that backstab might be effective on undead but the restrictions on damage still apply.

Not sure if it can lead you to a more powerful build but maybe the most experienced players can help you with a better Bounty Hunter/Fighter dual class.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. A Bounty Hunter is just a normal thief who gets twice as many traps per day, but slightly fewer thief points per level to compensate. After 16 they diverge, since the special traps will no longer deal damage. The 16-20 trap sucks..just flat out, but the 21+ is awesome and combines well with the epic traps you start earning shortly after. A Normal thief on the other had pretty much stops developing at level 13, while the Bounty hunter continues to meaningfully advance (same for the Assassin).

It's hard to tell someone how to spend their points, since it depends on your race and dex score where you need to stick things.

Don't put points in Hide ever, until every other skill is 100. Move silently gives you all the stealth you need, just wear boots of stealth (free and easy to get) and the shadow armor (fairly pricy, but it's your best armor, so wear it anyway) as soon as you're able.
  • coryivmcoryivm Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the responses. Things are starting to make sense. I guess what I was looking at for allocating thief skills was should I focus on one thing heavily/until maxxed? Or can I spread points out between Stealth and Set Traps and maybe find traps? I really want my bounty hunter to be an all around thief so I can free a spot in my party for something else but I get the feeling that I'll still need Imoen, at least for a while. I guess I could dual-class her to mage but I wanted to try other party members.

Also, I have always heard that you should level Hide and Move Silently together. Is that not the case?

If it helps I'm planning on either playing a dwarf( I see that they get +10 to locks, +15 to disarm traps, and +10 to set traps) or human/half-orc for fun.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    @coryivm there are potions and items that will help you boost your sneakery. You will have to rely on level ups alone to boost your traps. That is something to consider.
    That's true. Is there any point to leveling any thief skill beyond 100 in BG:EE, particularly set traps?
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Pickpocket is the only thief skill that benefit substantially from scores over 100.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Half-Orc (19 Str) Bounty Hunters are awesome. You can actually hit stuff! The Str bonus to damage is not doubled, but it still gets added on once, so your backstabs really hurt.

Put one dot in Quarterstaff so you can participate in melee without standing entirely up front, put one dot in a missile weapon (crossbow? shortbow?), and later on put a dot in two-handed style for more HUGE crits.

Can you backstab the undead with a Quarterstaff?
    Hmm, great suggestions. Thank you guys I'm definitely learning a lot about the mechanics behind thieves. I definitely thought about a Half-Orc for the 19 Str, I just wish there were more half-orc portraits to choose from (playing on ipad). That's really the only thing stopping me from committing to a half-orc 100%.
    edited January 2013
    Actually, str IS doubled, and a few other things that shouldn't be.

The dwarf is my fav for bounty hunters (they also can get natural regen and have the best saves of all the shortys). The gnome is pretty decent too, and his 1 point higher dex offsets his rather thin stat spread. Unfortunately, the halfling is the worst of the bunch due to poor str, otherwise they'd be a contender (though the fact dwarves and gnomes get free racial points in Detect illusion can't be overlooked), though their stat spread is a little meh.

The half-orc is only good at the beginning, but by the end, it's the worst race by far (they have no racial thief skills, so they're at a major deficient compared to the shorties, or even the elves/half Elves...hell..with that cursed giant str belt they added, the half-orc has no real benefit anymore, and the halfling, becomes...a little better. Still not fond of their stat spread, but they overall get slightly more thief points (5 more then a gnome, and 10 more then a dwarf) then the rest, even if they lack any other really outstanding abilities perks, and are equipment dependent until later in the sequel.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Actually, str IS doubled, and a few other things that shouldn't be.

Bonus damage from strength isn't multiplied in a backstab in BG:EE. I think most other things are (like kensai bonus damage, bonus damage from specialization, etc).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Edwin said:

Pickpocket is the only thief skill that benefit substantially from scores over 100.

Not true, you need more than 100 in Move Silently/Hide in Shadows to reliably hide in daylight, as you get big penalties for this. In one of games I have Montaron with 125 in both MS/HiS and he still can fail his MS/MiS saves in daylight (but very rarely at night)
    @ZanathKariashi I'm not big on power gaming. I just want to be sure that my character is good enough to have fun. Will I be seriously gimped if I go with a half-orc later on in the game as opposed to a race that has racial thief skills? Also should I only be leveling move silently and look for items that improve stealth? Or should I be doing Hide and Move Silently together like I've heard elsewhere?

Thanks for the insight guys.
    edited January 2013
    Your chance to Hide is your (Hide+MS)/2. Your chance to stay hidden is based entirely on MS. Adding points to hide helps, but it's largely a waste of points since it costs you other skills to do so. And the difference just isn't enough to warrant it. The 30 points of hide you get from Boots of stealth/Armor of shadow, gives you all the hide you need after race and dex.

The half-orcs only advantage is his high starting str...they're inferior in every way to other classes (even humans, who can at least dual-class to something else at 11 or 13), especially if you don't power game since you'll likely NOT have 19 str in the first place.

That said, you can do ok, but your thief skill will be gimp'd until level 12 or so, compared to a shorty who get 40+ racial thief points, or Elves who get ~25, or even half-elves who get 20 and some charm resistance.

Basically, you trade early versatility for a stronger melee presence at the cost of a boat load of racial bonuses, both of which become about the same once you reach BG2 (aside from the bonuses which continue to be valuable all the way to the end), as by 12 a half-orc can still max every skill, and other races can have acquired the str manual and become just as strong, except halflings, who still can use the plethora of str belts.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @ZanathKariashi What the what, someone who AGREES with me that Half-Orcs are overrated? Interesting ...

@coryvim Shorties make the best thieves, both from a power-gaming AND role-playing standpoint. The reason they get awesome bonuses to their abilities from the very beginning is *because* the peepz who wrote DnD understood that someone small and evasive would be naturally better at thieving than humans.

The other thing I would say is that due to how many thieving stats there are, get another thief in your party. Level that Thief in the boring stuff (Find Traps and Open Locks first and foremost), so that you don't have to worry about leveling your own Thief with that stuff, just level them in fun stuff like Set Traps and Move Silently and such. :) Thieves cap out at Level 10 in BG:EE, which is pretty darn high, so you *might* find yourself at an excess of points at some point and developing Find Traps and Open Locks might be a good idea for preparing yourself for BGII:EE, but truly, if you are wanting to have fun, I would hold off feeling obligated to have your character learn those for a while so that you can be trapping and stabbing somewhat efficiently from fairly early on in the game.
    Okay, I got it now. Well I'll roll with a dwarf and save the half-orc for my barbarian I'll do one day.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2013
    I'm fine with them from a role-playing point of view but they encourage by power-gaming, since if you didn't have maxed strength, you're basically a human with 60 ft infravision, without the versatility, extremely low class caps (9 fighter (max 17 with exceptional str), 8 thief (max 12 with exceptional dex), 4 cleric (max 7 with exceptional wisdom) and a -4 reaction penalty to everyone except other half-orcs.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Quartz said:

What the what, someone who AGREES with me that Half-Orcs are overrated? Interesting ...

Its not easy being green.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    a half-orc thief of cleric/thief is fun precisely because it isn't overpowered, unlike it's warrior alternatives

whereas shorty thieves aren't overpowered, but definitely the best choice for first rate rogues

i played a half-orc assassin once and without the super high dex of halflings and elves, or the thief stat bonuses of all shorties, even up to lvl 15 in bg2 i didn't feel like he enough points in his thief abilities

but the backstabs and use of poison was superb
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited January 2013
    I haven't played a bounty hunter or used traps much, but an observation for stealthy matters. Invisbility spells work great for scouting. It lets you disarm traps, and though I haven't tried it, I guess it also works to set them without becoming visible since it's no hostile action. It's a level 2 spell and having a mage with 2 - 3 memorized is more reliable than depending on potions. And possibly more effective than actual stealth. And there's the sandthief ring. It takes quite some ankkeg farming or waiting until you have the gold together, but it's a thief's ring for a reason.
    I have Shar-Teel dualed to thief, and put all points in locks and disarming; she depends on the casters for invisiblity. Works great, even if there is a limit on spells. (I have 3 casters, but my jester also uses most of the spells and has the ring. Should be doable with 1 caster if you don't share the spells.)
    A bunch of gibberlings needs no trapping or backstabbing, and for the battles where it does count, it's enough. So this can free up the skill points.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Half orcs are phenomenal early on because they allow non fighter classes to have 'exceptional strength'. Strongest? In the long run, it's give-and-take. I never dual class (or haven't yet), so humans are no better for most things than a half orc (for me). That said, I generally play humans or elves for no particular reason.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @kidcarnival

i'm thinking through a run where i have as many backstabbing possibilities as i can and use invisibility to lay down major damage. so far i'm thinking like this:

charname stalker
    coran
    shar teel f>t
    imoen t>m
    tiax
    *NPC B*

the idea being to have char name, coran, tiax and share-teel stealth behind an opponent, with imoen casting invisibility on herself and *NPC B*. have everyone except *NPC B* attempt a backstab and then with *NPC B* having learnt Area Invisiblity, cast, become invisible again and repeat as necessary!

could be slightly overkill...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I'm fine with them from a role-playing point of view but they encourage by power-gaming, since if you didn't have maxed strength, you're basically a human with 60 ft infravision, without the versatility, extremely low class caps (9 fighter (max 17 with exceptional str), 8 thief (max 12 with exceptional dex), 4 cleric (max 7 with exceptional wisdom) and a -4 reaction penalty to everyone except other half-orcs.

There aren't class caps in Baldur's Gate. =P
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @mjs Overkill maybe, but also tons of fun. Throw in some Sleep. Blindness and Glitterdust, and no enemy will ever see you coming. I have a jester charname, adding confusion from invisibility. And to think I thought it's a shitty superpower in Fantastic Four... :D