Skip to content

Optional smart radius on iPad

Original issue experienced by players on the first iPad release was difficulty selecting items on screen due to the fussy touch screen element on the iPad, whereby players would become frustrated repeatabley clicking on an object, door or item before it would finally register.

The latest patch (2012) has introduced a "smart radius" feature eliminating the above issue by interacting with objects within a small radius on screen to where the player has selected. The issue I am now experiencing is this can sometime be over sensitive and I often interact with objects I really don't want to, I am really noticing this whilst travelling around the city of Baldurs Gate, if I'm not entering a building I didn't wish to enter then I'm entering the sewers.

*A simple feature I am proposing is an option within the game to turn the "smart radius" on and off, thereby pleasing everyone including me*

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    Wouldn't a better fix be a slider to adjust Smart Radius's sensitivity? Far left being disabled - far right being the current size (or larger).
  • InriamInriam Member Posts: 4
    Good thinking, that would be an even better option if it is possible.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Here's an even better fix:

Minimum Selectable Zone

Big selectable items which exceed the minimum selectable zone, stuff like desktops, wardrobes, or doors, don't get any extra selection radius applied.

Small selectable items like "floor containers" and diamonds on trees do get an extra selection radius.

Medium containers like drawers have a total selection radius equal to that of a "floor container", which would be smaller than what they have now.

- - -

The best part about this idea is how cheaply they could implement it. See, the cool thing about selection zones is that they silently overlap, so if you just naively apply a minimum zone to EVERY container, you'll be mostly right -- the ones which are big will already overlap the minimum zone, so the minimum zone will be ignored.

Basically, find the center of gravity for each selectable zone, which ground containers already do, and overlap it with the minimum selection radius. Check for conflicts (two adjacent containers); resolve those as we do now. Take the union of current and minimum, and that's the new "smart" selection zone. Done!
  • InriamInriam Member Posts: 4
    That definitely another improvement on my above suggestion, because it isn't the small objects I have issues with, it tends to be the bigger objects which get selected when I really don't want them to be.

Hopefully they'll implement an improved version of the selection zone in a later patch, assuming that it isn't too difficult to implement, and hopefully they will also implement an option to disable it. I've never been one for stealth, but I can imagine it being frustrating to move a thief (or other invisible character) around a busy screen without him wanting to interact with objects and thereby making him visible again.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Bump. I'm sick of characters dying and having to trip back to town due to trying to move a character near and object to search it for traps and instead finding the trap the good ole fashioned way.
  • famousringofamousringo Member Posts: 28
    I think they could even simply drop down the sensitivity to about half of where it is now. I swear I've "tapped" targets that were an inch away from my finger. There's really no reason that the "smart radius" needs to be bigger than a human fingertip.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I'm extremely grateful for the existing smart radius implementation, but even better fine-tuning is always welcome :)