Skip to content

How does Safana's Charm ability compare to the spell & to Algernon's Cloak?

I'm currently playing a duo run with a CHARNAME Jester and Safana and was wondering how her innate Charm ability compares to the spell and to Algernon's Cloak, in terms of how easy or not it is to save versus it, and how long it lasts.

I'm really glad Algernon's Cloak got fixed to a once a day use, no I don't feel cheesy about using it, but was wondering if it was better or worse than Safana's ability?

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I'm currently playing a duo run with a CHARNAME Jester and Safana and was wondering how her innate Charm ability compares to the spell and to Algernon's Cloak, in terms of how easy or not it is to save versus it, and how long it lasts.

I'm really glad Algernon's Cloak got fixed to a once a day use, no I don't feel cheesy about using it, but was wondering if it was better or worse than Safana's ability?

Anyone? I assume there's a way to look this up in NearInfinity, but am not sure which files I should be looking at...
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I think algernons is better. Is safana s dire charm or just regular? If I'm not mistaken algernons is dire. But I'm just taking a wild guess don't have the game handy to check
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    According to NI, saves against Algernon's Cloak are made at -1, and with the effect lasting 3600 seconds, while saves against Safana's ability are made at +2, with the effect lasting 100 seconds This is all assuming I'm reading NI right (I think think I am, for Algernon's cloak the penalty/duration matches what it says in the item description).
    edited January 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

According to NI, saves against Algernon's Cloak are made at -1, and with the effect lasting 3600 seconds, while saves against Safana's ability are made at +2, with the effect lasting 100 seconds This is all assuming I'm reading NI right (I think think I am, for Algernon's cloak the penalty/duration matches what it says in the item description).

Thanks, what are the file names for the items/abilities? I'll try to check myself. The Charm Person spell is, what, +3 to saves? So Safana's ability might be better than that at least. BTW if you fail to charm someone who's not already hostile, is there a risk they will go hostile or does it just fail without effect?

EDIT: also does a charmed creature *always* turn hostile once the effect wears off?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013

TJ_Hooker said:

Thanks, what are the file names for the items/abilities? I'll try to check myself. The Charm Person spell is, what, +3 to saves? So Safana's ability might be better than that at least. BTW if you fail to charm someone who's not already hostile, is there a risk they will go hostile or does it just fail without effect?

EDIT: also does a charmed creature *always* turn hostile once the effect wears off?
    I looked at SAFANA.CRE, but the spell effect itself is listed as SPIN119.SPL
    Algernon's Cloak is CLCK08.ITM, but I couldn't find any seperate entry for the effect itself

When I look at the flags, a lot of the fields say "unkown", but there is one field called "Turn hostile afterwards", which is checked off for Safana's ability, but not for the cloak.
    TJ_Hooker said:

TJ_Hooker said:

I looked at SAFANA.CRE, but the spell effect itself is listed as SPIN119.SPL
    Algernon's Cloak is CLCK08.ITM, but I couldn't find any seperate entry for the effect itself
    When I look at the flags, a lot of the fields say "unkown", but there is one field called "Turn hostile afterwards", which is checked off for Safana's ability, but not for the cloak.
    So is Safana's Charm Person ability exactly the same as the Charm Person spell? The description for the latter in-game says the save is +3, but is it really +2?
    Also - if you Charm quest-givers like Oublek, can you make him give the emeralds back, or do you need to pickpocket him? Also if you charm quest givers that give a reward based on reaction (like the Tree Dryad) do they always give the max reward?