Skip to content

Party order

Is there any other function besides formation to party order? When I put, for example, Khalid up front he says he's not an inspiring leader - but does this actually matter?

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    The leading-character is the one with whom you usually (if you have your entire party selected) initiate dialogue. This should therefore be someone with a high charisma.

1) Charisma influences how people see you, and therefore dialogue options and store prices.
    2) It also influences how some NPCs react to each others presence in the party...

Khalid has 9, so is not the best choice for 1), and for 2), it depends on what you like to see...
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    It matters for shop prices, you want the highest CHA in front for shopping. I think it also counts for NPC reaction adjustments to your party. It may count for morale when party members take dmg, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yes. When you talk to merchants or NPC's, the party leader charisma attribute is used (like high CHA gives discounts in stores, or bonus to reaction with NPC's). Other than that, it marks who is in the silver dot position of the formation. I almost always use for this position, but you don't have to.
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    Hmm, okay. Well, I guess I can always manually adjust battle positions,
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    The recommendation about choosing a party leader with high charisma is indeed a good one, but feel free to do otherwise if you like.

For the remaining positions, it depends on which formation do you choose, but the idea is to have the more vulnerable party member (e.g. squishy casters) in the middle. Also, try to put at least one resilient party member in the back, because sometimes foes may attack you from behind, especially in dungeons.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Related: Can it be that none of that applies to Black Pits? The order of the party members doesn't seem to matter. I created a mage first and then changed a paladin to leader, but the party still loads exactly in the same formation and order.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Interesting. I use the T formation with 3 heavy armor charactes on the top, Imoen and 2 mages on the tail. It might make sense to put Im at the back, as she stands up to attacks a little better.

Interesting. I use the T formation with 3 heavy armor charactes on the top, Imoen and 2 mages on the tail. It might make sense to put Im at the back, as she stands up to attacks a little better.

One place where it is highly recommended to put someone with heavy armour in the back is

Firewine Ruins, because of those blasted Kobolds Commando.

• baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    Erg said:

One place where it is highly recommended to put someone with heavy armour in the back is

Firewine Ruins, because of those blasted Kobolds Commando.

been there died to that learned the hardway about formations

• KampriKampri Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    It's generally smart to keep your soft squishy characters in the middle of a party (Mages/Thieves etc.) with tougher people in front and behind.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The Charisma really only matters when you're doing business with a merchant. Then you want your highest Cha character in the top slot on the right and doing the talking. That character will get the best prices. But other than that, at least when wandering the wilderness you want characters in the front of the formation who can take the most damage when you encounter an attack.
    edited February 2013
    @Lemernis

I almost agree with you. Almost because

1) I'm too lazy to keep changing the party order before shopping
    2) I would most likely forgot to put back the party leader on top before shopping most of times
    3) The are formations in which the party leader (silver dot) is in the middle
    4) If you have a paladin/blackguard in your party or if you got a very good stat roll for charname you will most likely have a charismatic tank in you party

I played most of my current playtrough with Imoen as party leader, using the following formation:

..x
    x..
    ..x
    X..
    ..x
    x..
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I think, but am not certain, that having a leader (i.e. the person at the top) with high Charisma helps vs. morale failure
    Erg said:

@Lemernis

I almost agree with you. Almost because

1) I'm too lazy to keep changing the party order before shopping

But it makes a huge difference if you have, say, a Bard who's cast Friends doing the shopping...
    edited February 2013

But it makes a huge difference if you have, say, a Bard who's cast Friends doing the shopping...

In that case, the Bard would be my party leader, even in combat. I would just use a different formation to avoid having him where a tank should be.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Definitely, and also if said Bard is wearing a particular item. :)

I mean, you're soon going to be up to your ears in gold in this game anyway (unless you're playing an evil/despised run). So it's not that big a deal. But why not get the best prices to buy the best for your stalwart, hard working party as soon as you can? They've earned it. :)
    edited February 2013
    Lemernis said:

I mean, you're soon going to be up to your ears in gold in this game anyway (unless you're playing an evil/despised run). So it's not that big a deal. But why not get the best prices to buy the best for your stalwart, hard working party as soon as you can? They've earned it. :)
    Maybe it is not necessary, but just to be sure I will try to explain better what I mean.

My party leader is always the one with the highest charisma by natural of artificial means (items, spells, etc). I don't change the order of the party (as in order of the portraits) in combat.

If the party leader is a tank I use a formation like

..X
    x..
    ..x
    x..
    ..x
    x..

If he isn't something like

..x
    x..
    ..x
    X..
    ..x
    x..

instead.

I find that much more efficient than just rearranging the portraits, because you can easily switch formations with a single click. But that is just me.
    Lemernis said:

The Charisma really only matters when you're doing business with a merchant. Then you want your highest Cha character in the top slot on the right and doing the talking. That character will get the best prices. But other than that, at least when wandering the wilderness you want characters in the front of the formation who can take the most damage when you encounter an attack.

@Lemernis

After reading again your post, it occurred to me that maybe we are saying the same thing just with different words. /facepalm!

If this is the case, I must apologise with you and of course I totally agree.
    Erg said:

In that case, the Bard would be my party leader, even in combat. I would just use a different formation to avoid having him where a tank should be.
    Good point
    Lemernis said:

I mean, you're soon going to be up to your ears in gold in this game anyway (unless you're playing an evil/despised run).
    You mean not everyone plays evil?!? ;-)