Skip to content

Pure berserker

Hi all,

Me and some friends wana play MP, so i need to create some character and i was thinking of pure berserker.I have played some games like IWD or Planescape Torment, but never BG, so i need a little help with creating.

1.Race
Since i have no interest in multi-class, i would go for a Human.I just dont feel like playing some dwarf or elf.Maybe Half-Orc?Just because of a stats?

2.Stats
So, the default stats are : Str-11, Dex-16, Con-12, Int-13, Wis-12, Cha-12.The thing is, some of a friend will roll a Paladin, or someone who will do talking (This is established from a part in IceWind Dale when i rushed foward just to have conversation, and when they didnt do what i wanted, i choped their heads off :D) cause my Neutral Chaotic just would not fit in!So i was thinking dumping Cha and Int down and place it to Con and Strengh?Something like : Str-18/91, Dex-18, Con-18, Int-13, Wis-5, Cha-5.Pure killing machine :)

3.Skills
This would go into 2 ways.Two weapons styles or Two-handed weapon.Basically 2 axes, or one big Warhammer or a Sword.This is a thing where i am clueless.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2013
    A half orc can get 19 strength and constitution. If you plan on minmaxing anyway, drop the intelligence further to bring both up to max. Dwarf can get 19 constition, too. As a front liner, the saving throw boni of other races would all be better than being human.
    As for weapons: there is no "one big warhammer", if you are thinking two-handed hammer. There are only two handed swords. You could, of course, dual wield hammers or swords. There are very good magical versions of both available early in the game (both +2 plus elemental damage). Those would be war hammer and long sword, respectively, and each is a weapon that will serve you well throughout the game. There are also very good two-handed swords, but those are available much later. You'd be limited to +1 until midgame.

Forgot to add: With the magical +2 in your main hand, you'd still have a regular +1 version in the off hand, though there will be another good hammer available much later.

For a berzerker, especially if there's a paladin to handle the tanking, I would go for dual wielding with either hammers or long swords. Some people will say scimitars/katana proficiency is better, because of two such weapons you can get - thing is, it depends on your alignment if you'll be able to use both, and if obtaining them is an option for your alignment. If not, there won't be any decent alternatives except +1 and you'd have much better options with other proficiencies. War Hammer also deals the damage type the least enemies are resistant/immune to.
  • ZarkhesZarkhes Member Posts: 20
    I see.But does get berserker some action skills (leap, charge, battlecry) as he level up?I know i gave up playing barbarian in IWD cause he was just boring.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2013
    Berzerkers get rage as ability, but that is entirely a saving throws/immunities/stats thing. I assume you mean actual actions you can select, like Neverwinter Nights (Evasive Roll, Sidestep and such)? No, that's not going to happen; your role as a berzerker would pretty much be limited to running towards enemies and hack them to pieces.
    If you want some more strategic fine tuning, I'd recommend to go with a half orc multi class fighter/thief. You won't have the rage ability of a berzerker, but you will have extremly powerful backstab due to the strength bonus and the thief skills to make the overall gameplay less boring. In this case, recommended proficiencies include: daggers (for a VERY good, early available poison dagger - poison can interrupt casters and it is a very fast weapon) and quarterstaff (there are several very good ones available in mid/late game, and for some reason no-one can explain, quarterstaff is the best weapon to use for backstabbing).
    You'll still make a strong frontliner and damage dealer and though you will be limited to light armor, there is a very good leather armor that adds to thief skills available early.

Forgot something again... You could start with dagger, then pick up a certain small shield that gives you +1 con (total of 20 means you regenerate), then later move on to staff (and possibly use a tome to get the +1 con permanently) when you have the backstab multipliers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    The berserker is a barbarian with no extra abilities beyond a normal fighter aside from a superior rage. Sounds like you're playing Diablo....completely wrong genre. Technically, if all the battle options were implemented (like ToEE does) you could make charge attacks, disarms, grapples, trips, feints, etc etc, but BG cut those out entirely (among a bunch of other things), so a straight berserker is just limited to attacking, and occasionally raging when you need to block status effects.

Equipment can add a little more variety, but nothing to the degree of options other classes get.

Technically 3 of the hammers in the sequel are supposed to be Mauls, but the game doesn't have animations for a 2hded hammer and so they're used 1hded.
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    There is a really nice 2 hander that you can get fairly early on which would fit in nice with a bezerker
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    If you want a diverse and interesting class to play, don't play a pure fighter or barbarian. They're one-trick ponies in this game.

A paladin or ranger will get a variety of special abilities and spells, though the spellcasting doesn't get noticeable until BG2. Still, they're much more interesting than a fighter.

Consider a multi or dual-class, if you want a more interesting melee combatant. A fighter/mage, for example, will be an effective and interesting spellcaster in addition to being a combat badass. A fighter/cleric can suit up in full plate with a mace and shield and tear it up in a melee while casting divine magic.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Interesting thing about Barbarians is their strength bonus is worth most if your base strength is between 15 and 18/50, and worth least at 18/00. It starts to go up again at 19. Con bonus is also worth less at higher con.

Conclusion: Pure Barbarians should be halflings, half orcs or elves.
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    18/00 is the best strength score below 19
    If your strength is 18/00, the net benefit of rage is +1/+4. If your stength is 17, the net benefit is +3/+7. If your strength is 19, the net benefit is +2/+4.
    edited February 2013
    Fardragon said:

If your strength is 18/00, the net benefit of rage is +1/+4. If your stength is 17, the net benefit is +3/+7. If your strength is 19, the net benefit is +2/+4.

think your numbers are a bit off for str with rage to hit and damage bonus
    at 17 it should be +3 +3 while at 18/00 it is +5 +8 an at 19 +5 +9

http://stane0.tripod.com/BG1Tables.html then add the +2 to hit and damage

edited February 2013
    Nope, my numbers are correct (just tested them in game).

17: +1/+1 -> 21: +4/+9 (net change +3/+7)
    18/00 +3/+6 -> 22: +4/+10 (net change +1/+4)

Edit: just realised, you think I'm talking about Berserkers. Reread my original post, I was comparing them to BARBARIANS.

Berserkers are fixed at +2/+2 regardless of Str.
  • VizielViziel Member Posts: 11
    Well, if you gonna run solo do a elf-berseker-longsword, since you receive bonus for THAC0 for this weapon, and dual-wield him. Easy run, a lot of immunities a good THAC0 and racial resistece agains sleep and charm.
    Fardragon said:

Nope, my numbers are correct (just tested them in game).

17: +1/+1 -> 21: +4/+9 (net change +3/+7)
    18/00 +3/+6 -> 22: +4/+10 (net change +1/+4)

Edit: just realised, you think I'm talking about Berserkers. Reread my original post, I was comparing them to BARBARIANS.

Berserkers are fixed at +2/+2 regardless of Str.

well it is a Berserker thread.
    Nice thoughts.

Anyway, is it posible to tank with a two handed sword barbar?

And i was thinking about multiclass it somehow.To some spellsword.Maybe sorceress?Or Bard?

Does Bards in Baldurs gate cant move when they singing?
    Tanking with someone wielding a 2-hander is possible, but it the character obviously won't be as durable as someone wielding a shield. You'll have to ask yourself a question: Do I want a purely defensive tank, or should I sacrifice some defense for more damage? It's up to your style. Losing a couple of points of AC is noticeable, but wouldn't necessarily break the character.

Neither bards nor sorcerers are valid dual-classes, since the only valid dual-classes are already existing multiclasses. A berserker->mage could work, as could a berserker->thief or berserker->cleric. A berserker->druid is even possible, but the stat requirements for the dual are ludicrously difficult to achieve.

You said in the first post that you aren't interested in a multiclass, but I'd recommend that over dual-classing. Dual-classing is complicated and easy to mess up, so if you decide to go that route, read up on how exactly it works.

Bards can move while singing, but can't do anything else.
    Madhax said:

Tanking with someone wielding a 2-hander is possible, but it the character obviously won't be as durable as someone wielding a shield. You'll have to ask yourself a question: Do I want a purely defensive tank, or should I sacrifice some defense for more damage? It's up to your style. Losing a couple of points of AC is noticeable, but wouldn't necessarily break the character.

Neither bards nor sorcerers are valid dual-classes, since the only valid dual-classes are already existing multiclasses. A berserker->mage could work, as could a berserker->thief or berserker->cleric. A berserker->druid is even possible, but the stat requirements for the dual are ludicrously difficult to achieve.

You said in the first post that you aren't interested in a multiclass, but I'd recommend that over dual-classing. Dual-classing is complicated and easy to mess up, so if you decide to go that route, read up on how exactly it works.

Bards can move while singing, but can't do anything else.

I know i sad that, but i know i will be bored if i play only pure berserker.I need something to keep me busy.So...Could i roll with a Axe+Shield berserker, and maybe few levels on mage?
    @Zarkhes This is 2nd edition, so you can't just take "a few levels" of mage. That sort of build only works in 3rd edition. You can start as a pure berserker and dual class to mage, though. Level 6 or level 7 berserker would be a good point to dual at, with the level 7 dual being more powerful but penalizing you with a much longer downtime.

You could also multiclass, but that would prevent you from being a berserker (since multiclasses cannot access kits). You'd simply be a fighter/mage.
    The point is, under 2nd edition rules, once you dual class, that's it for your original class. You can't gain levels in that class ever again. Which means dualing at the wrong level can completly mess up your build.

If you want a warrior with a bit more variety, you should look at the Paladin and Ranger kits.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    My very first BG2 character was a TWF Horc Berserker. Much fun was had and hilarity did ensue from the quite frankly obscene amount of damage he inflicted.
    Ok, i will go pure berserk as intended.

So do i need some of the inteligence or wisdom?Or should i just go 18/18/18 ?
    I have 94 of stats when i have roled, and i want some charisma too.So i have 18(55)/18/18/10/10/17.
    Should i aim for the better charisma?
    You might as well drop your wisdom and up your charisma to 18.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Berserker with dual-wielding is pretty great--using one myself right now.