Skip to content

Pure frontline BlackGuard

I need a tank character for MP, and i wana play BlackGuard.I wana choose sword and shield playstyle and maybe flail.So, what should be my stats?I dont want to go for uber min-max stats.But does evil paladin need charisma?

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    Charisma is no more important for Blackguards than any other class as it only affects buying prices and NPC reactions.

Also Intelligence and Wisdom will only affect Lore, so it is better to focus on Strength and, for a tank, especially Dexterity (lower AC) and Constitution (more HP).

Edit: Also, for a tank, Strength should ideally be higher enough (15+) to use the heaviest armours and shields.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Like any warrior, you're want high strength/dexterity/constitution. As @Erg wisely said, even if you don't want to max out strength, 15+ is recommended so that you can wear the heaviest equipment. Also, keep in mind that Dexterity and Constitution don't start working much in your favor until 15+, see http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Dexterity and http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Constitution for specifics.

So, an 18/18/18 character would be fantastic. If you don't want to power-game, I'd recommend at least something like 15/16/16 or so, especially since you're a new player.

Charisma affects your reaction with NPCs. Since your blackguard is a frontline fighter and likely the party leader, it would be nice to have it quite high, but it's hardly necessary. Keep in mind that, while the majority of Charisma's influence involves getting you discounts, there are a few NPCs that will refuse to join you if your charisma is too low. I wouldn't go below 9.

Intelligence and Wisdom will do absolutely nothing for you in BGEE. In BG2 (And BG2EE, I expect), there will be occasional minor dialogue differences based on these stats, and a certain enemy will be more difficult if you have 10 or less intelligence.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I say max STR, CON and CHA. You find DEX gauntlets very soon. Keep the rest at around 10.
    If he's going to be the leader, you want a high charisma. People won't fail their morale too often, NPC reactions would be better, etc.