Skip to content

Do custom portraits get transmitted to other clients?

ZanteZante Member Posts: 15
As in the title, if I used a custom portrait, would other players also see it?

If not, make it so. :p

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Unfortunately, you'll have to send your custom portraits to your friends in order for them to display.

This also means that if you have an alternate portrait for an existing NPC, that alternate potrait will only display for you unless your friends also have the same alternate portrait in their Portraits or Override folders.
  • ZanteZante Member Posts: 15
    That's quite poor. :[

It's not difficult to transfer such small files and cache them temporarily per session. This needs to be modernized.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited February 2013
    There are plans to improve the custom portraits system--and more than a few feature requests--but transferring actual files is a bit outside the scope of the engine's capabilities.

Custom portraits are handled pretty much the same as mods; in order for them to work correctly, all players have to have the same files.

(Incidentally, there is a note in the manual about this.)
    It's such a small thing to fix, create a mini web-based content management system which uses php to store it on a server for the duration of the session, that way everyone can be sure to download it via an authoritative server model once the match-making cluster goes up.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    edited February 2013
    ok, we were planning on implementing a giant MAINFRAME based content management system which uses FORTRAN to store it on a tape drive until the heat death of the universe so that our future alien overlords will have access to the combined wealth of our custom portraits.

Or maybe we will throw in a few more calls to DemandResourceFromServer when you connect to a game...
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited February 2013
    Ah, the ol' tape drive until the heat death of the universe trick. Didn't Bethesda use that a time or two? ;)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Why don't you just create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, and see if you can track an IP address?
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Sorry, I only know Java.
    Key word is 'temporary'!

ok, we were planning on implementing a giant MAINFRAME based content management system which uses FORTRAN to store it on a tape drive until the heat death of the universe so that our future alien overlords will have access to the combined wealth of our custom portraits.

Or maybe we will throw in a few more calls to DemandResourceFromServer when you connect to a game...

If that's possible then go for it. Given how little has changed from the original in terms of functionality, one would expect the exclusion of such a feature to be due to an inability on the part of the engine.

• RaphielDrakeRaphielDrake Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    I would also like a fix for this. Sending portraits to friends is cumbersome and awkward. Also when they discover the portrait is me wearing a leather thong and gimp mask, oiled up and tweaking one of my nipples playfully it kind of ruins the surprise. I also never hear from them again.
    So... yeah. Fix please.