Skip to content

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 NPCS

willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
What game has better NPCS and who is your favorite? Although i like both, i think baldurs gate 1 had better NPCS and i love the BG1 Viconia!

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    The Best NPC's are Viconia and Minsc... and both of them appear in BG1 and BG2 so...

I think that BG1 had better NPC's ( Im putting aside the NPC's Interatctions... ).. you also had Kivan, Coran, Edwin, Tiax, Dyanhir.... enjoyed them more than valygar and mazzy and so on

Post edited by mch202 on
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'm very sad BG2 did not have Yeslick in it, he was such a good dwarf with a good motivation to stay with the player character. Alas.

Other than him, most of the best NPC's went over to BG2, and BG2 actually gave them interjections and conversations. So I'm going to have to vote for BG2.
    @Drugar yeah too bad you dont have a Good Dwarf warrior in BG2, I loved yeslick and I love dwarfish characteristic, it is really missing in BG2
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I will go with Baldur's Gate 2, simply because of the staggering amount of interactions.
    DIVERSITY-wise though, Baldur's Gate 1 wins. Simply because of the amount of different characters you can have. All characters in Baldur's Gate 1 were VERY different one from another (look at Xzar and Monty, Khalid, Xan, Minsc, Eldoth, etc...)

So, after this short comment I have now some problems really deciding who to go with. Let's simply put it like this :

Dialogues and interactions - Baldur's Gate 2
    Characters and diversity - Baldur's Gate 1
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    BG2 gave more weight to NPC personalities, at the expense of variety. I don't think this was a bad thing; the options for party members doesn't really get exhausted anyway.

Best NPCs: Jaheira, Viconia, Nalia, Irenicus (though he cannot join you), Edwin

Nalia, perhaps the least obvious choice on that list, wins out on having an interesting blend of pros and cons to her character, which makes her feel rather realistic. Her portrayal is unflattering in a lot of ways, though her heart is in the right place. I found this a great reprieve from Aerie, who was painfully one-dimensional in her goodie-goodie approach, and who everybody seemed to absolutely love as though she had 25charisma (besides the evil characters). Nalia's interactions weren't frequent with other party members, but they were interesting, as where her sidequests.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Well the BG1 NPCs don't really say anything much so it's sort of hard to compare personality-wise. I didn't find most of the BG2 NPCs interesting though, I mostly use modded NPCs instead. My favourite BG1 NPC is probably Xan and my favourite BG2 NPC is Korgan.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Bg2 NPCs were more fleshed out but I suspect in BGEE the BG1 NPCs will get some conversation work done to make them a little more interesting.
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    BG1
    Close combat: Ajantis (one is enough)
    Ranged combat: Koran, Kivan
    Mages: Edwin, Dynaheir, Xzar, Xan (either of them and/or geathered in one party; 4 mages will be a blocker for all your foes)
    Clerics: Viconia, Branwen (one is enough)

Don't forget, unlike BG2, the BG1 combat is mostly ranged. Spells & arrows will do even without swords. Melee weapon THAC0 and attack number are too low as opposed to BG2.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Maybe we should come back with bigger swords?
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    Baldur's Gate 1 has the hilarious Easter egg of random interjections from party members from portrait clicking. So much fun.
    "Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"
  • dununfolettedununfolette Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    Minsc is my favorite, without any doubt!
    I feel almost as crazy as he is... I should bring a hamster at the office and go berzerk on my colleagues sometimes!
    Run Boo! Run!
    Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes! Yaaaarh!
    edited July 2012
    Minsc is my favorite, without any doubt!
    I feel almost as crazy as he is... I should bring a hamster at the office and go berzerk on my colleagues sometimes!
    *REAL STORY*:

When I worked some 5 years ago in security, we had one big guy ( and when I say big I mean 105kg of muscle ) who had to come to work one day with his chinchilla.... so all day long he walked with a pistol, assault rifle and a chinchilla in his shirt pocket.

for those who dont know what chinchilla is:

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    He should've brought his chinchilla along every day.

Teach it to attack people too.
  • dununfolettedununfolette Member Posts: 11
    Great! I'd like to see something like that once in my life ! xD
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    BG2 had more character to the npcs, but the Npc mod for BG1 really helped a lot. My favorite non-modded npc: Minsc. Favorite mod npc: Kivan. It would be a dream come true if Baldur's Gate could be remade with Dragon Age levels of character interaction.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Minsc,Sarevok,Jaheira,Aerie and Viconia.