Skip to content

Captain Brage would not teleport/follow me to Nashkel

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
edited February 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
After coming across it by accident, I have tested this, and there are steps to reproduce the issue with 100% reliability:

Quest: The Tale of Captain Brage

• Get Laryssa and Captain Brage within visual range of the player before either NPC initiates or walks to initiate dialogue. Laryssa's dialogue is instant as soon as she is spotted, while Brage must walk to the player.

Suggestion: Have a character go into Stealth or drink a Potion of Invisibility, then walk right up to Laryssa and initiate dialogue himself or herself.

Note: This happened to me without me taking any such special action or even wearing Boots of Speed. The direction from which you approach seems to be a factor.

• Tell Laryssa you intend to kill Brage. She will attack.

• Rather than initiate dialogue with the player, Brage will berserk and attack. In my case, he attacked Laryssa first.

• Kill Laryssa.

• Brage will stop attacking soon afterward, but perhaps not immediately. His circle will remain yellow (berserk), though he will take no action.

• Mouse over him. The context-sensitive cursor will switch to dialogue (the pair of talking faces). Normally, an NPC in this state should get the attack (sword) cursor.

• Click on him to initiate dialogue, answer his riddle correctly (Death), and offer to bring him to Nashkel to be healed.

• He will agree, and his circle will turn blue (neutral). Nothing else will happen. Neither the party nor Brage will teleport to the temple.

• If you speak to him again, he will give his line about not wanting to be disgraced in the presence of Helm. This is the line he is supposed to say after arriving at the temple.

Expected behavior: Brage should walk toward and initiate dialogue with the player as soon as he enters the player's visual range, regardless of all other circumstances. Offering to help heal him should then instantly teleport the party to the temple.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    When I followed the steps, I got the expected behavior every time. However, I was able to reproduce the bug this way:

1. Walk up to Laryssa normally. When she initiates dialogue, tell her you're going to kill Brage.
    2. Brage goes berserk (may have to walk up a little to see this). Initiate dialogue while his circle is yellow.

It's talking to Brage while he's berserk that's the problem. Picking the option to kill him will also turn him blue (and he just stands there). Registered.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited February 2013
    My experience was that if I didn't do the above exactly, he would approach me and initiate dialogue without going berserk at all.

It is odd that he starts talking to you while you are fighting Laryssa. It's very possible for him to whisk you away while you are mid-combat with her.

It would seem to me that what Bioware intended is for him to berserk if Laryssa attacks you. Then, after she is defeated, he asks you his riddle and unberserks if you are correct, allowing his teleport script to work. But that isn't happening.

I would almost expect to see dialogue terminate if you answer correctly, his circle turns to blue, and he initiates dialogue again for the rest. It wouldn't surprise me if there is code to unberserk him, but it does not take effect because the game is paused in dialogue mode.

Though I guess the alternative is making sure his script works even if he is berserk.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it and registering it!