Skip to content

Dreamfall Chapters on Kickstarter!

EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
edited February 2013 in Off-Topic
I don't know about you guys, but I really loved "The Longest Journey"-games from Funcom back in the days. Now, the most integral parts of the team behind those games (TLJ and Dreamfall) have broken off from Funcom and started a new independent developer (somewhat like the guys behind BG:EE). They are finally making a sequel to Dreamfall, which ended on a cliffhanger.

In order to finance the game independently they have taken to Kickstarter - I'll support for sure, how 'bout you? :)

Check out www.dreamfallchapters.com for more!

tldr; A sequel to Dreamfall (and The Longest Journey) - hurray! Support it on Kickstarter now :)

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Since I don't like hardcore adventure games so it would be a good news for me. In the longest journey you don't die or have to start over and I liked it.
    It was shame that dreamfall didnt released on PC.
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2013
    Teflon said:

It was shame that dreamfall didnt released on PC.

Eh... Didn't release on the PC?

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/dreamfall_the_longest_journey

Enjoy :) Even though in Dreamfall you can actually die, but very rarely... Also, it ends on a real cliffhanger, so if you hate that, postpone playing until december 2014 ;)
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Oops my bad thanks for let me know @Eleutheros ;)
    And looks like I better wait up anyway it is late anyway to play dreamfall and hated cliffhanger.
    Thanks again.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If they stopped kickstarting games I actually like and instead just developed them normally, then I might actually buy them
    @ajwz Do you mind explaining that a bit? I'm fairly new to the whole kickstarter-thing, but it seems to me that if a developer can collect the necessary money to make the game without giving up creative control, that's a good thing? Or?
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited March 2013
    They have already $1.09M
    They also released a trailer (not high end), but still is pleases the eye.
    http://youtu.be/KsIkNrRUMEg
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

@ajwz Do you mind explaining that a bit? I'm fairly new to the whole kickstarter-thing, but it seems to me that if a developer can collect the necessary money to make the game without giving up creative control, that's a good thing? Or?

Spending money on a game before it has started to be developed is much more of a risk than most people seem to realise.

Only a very small percentage of kickstarters have finished since the trend began yet people are still confidently spending money on the most obviously scam-like, overambitious, amateur "studios", of those that have, a relatively large percentage of horror stories have already emerged.

I'm not saying that it is impossible for kickstarters to turn out well - far from it, I'm sure some of them will be great, dreamfall probably is no exception, but I don't think people should support them, and I certainly don't.

I expect kickstaters to heavily fall out of fashion in a year or so time, when these companies are actually going to have to start to deliver the finished products.

• GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    @ajwz
    You are really against kicks of those projects. Thankfully there is still a lot of others.

And do you really think that people that have already made some good titles and are in the business for years don't estimate the costs properly? (I'm pointing at wasteland, or The Longest Journey, becaues smaller titles may have greater risks involved)

Here very awesome example of good kickstarting: http://www.paraclocks.com/custom-clocks/ (concrete clocks:).

I think that the whole idea of kickstarting is great, like modern patronage* of the art, inventions and lot of other stuff that was stopped only because of lack of funds.

You still should think about it just like about the investment and in such are always risks. But if it will succeed you will get ready product (little cheaper, before others and with xtra content). So there are pros and cons. And you know who is getting your money so you don't pay blindly.

*[is it proper word?]
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I backed this a while back because I was a huge fan of the first 2 games. They were quite possibly my favorite adventure story games ever.
    I just hope to God they will improve the awful gameplay from the last 2 installments. But still keep the amazing story of course.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    They have a new stretch goal - if they manage to get 2 000 000 $, they will also make a "Longest Journey - Home", focused on April (Dreamfall is primarily about Zoe). I don't care about risks and long lead periods - I'm stoked, and I changed my pledge to a bigger amount. They giving me hope of continuing April's tale, and by the gods, I'm going to pay them for it! XD
    @ajwz I see what you mean. I guess it comes down to trust. I trust Ragnar Tørnquist and whoever he chooses to work with, and so I'm willing to risk losing the money I threw at them.

What I've been thinking about is that Kickstarter isn't really indie-friendly. I think it's very hard to get enough attention to succeed without having someone famous on your team, or perhaps a famous franchise. So even though the concept is that 'the idea' is what's going to sell, it's more about reputation and emotions like nostalgia.

Oh well, I've been waiting for this ever since I watched the ending of Dreamfall, and had almost given up hope. Now it seems we might even get two more games about Zoe and April!

@Syntia13 I'm afraid we won't get to $2M on this kickstarter, but I'm quite sure they can get enough money to get startet on TLJH somewhere else - hey, perhaps some of my Norwegian taxes will end up at Red Thread Games ;)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Eleutheros <3 Norwegian taxes (Also a norwegian taxpayer) =)