Skip to content

I hate Facebook.

catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
Which is why I haven't had one for the past 3 years. But I feel really out of the loop on... everything.

Well, everything that isn't on Twitter.

Also, I can't enter any contests.

Yup.

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    contests?
    I have friends who don't use Facebook who continue to have more vibrant, active and healthy social lives than I do.
    Bottom line: You aren't missing out, but you aren't gaining anything by choosing to ignore it either.

(facebook accounts are quite handy for artists, as you can get your work spread around a little when people like your posts if you create an artist's page for yourself.)
  • catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    Annnddd husband's crazy ex sends you death threats!

I didn't know they had "artist's pages", that's new.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    I'm not a fan either. I need one to create pages for my various RL enterprises (according to conventional wisdom), but I virtually never open the account.

I can't say I'm that big a fan of Twitter either. I haven't really figured out a use for it.
    Post edited by Lemernis on

Here is an example. http://www.facebook.com/HansMyHedgehog
    I haven't made one myself, I don't think it's specifically an "artists page" but maybe a business page, which you certainly can make (same thing, really)

as you can see, you don't "friend" them, people "like" the page - agree to receive updates, liking the updates gets them shared to their friends.

I don't know if anyone has ever received any work this way, but you can track how many people have viewed your posts, as well as create even pages to invite your friends to exhibitions, etc.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Facebook continues to get worse. The advertisements on their mobile page suck. It is funny though to see people post like, "REMOVE ME!" They don't realize what the hell it even is.

----
    *Cluck*
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243

Here is an example. http://www.facebook.com/HansMyHedgehog
    I haven't made one myself, I don't think it's specifically an "artists page" but maybe a business page, which you certainly can make (same thing, really)

as you can see, you don't "friend" them, people "like" the page - agree to receive updates, liking the updates gets them shared to their friends.

I don't know if anyone has ever received any work this way, but you can track how many people have viewed your posts, as well as create even pages to invite your friends to exhibitions, etc.

The real screwed up thing is pages for dead people... I have one of someone I was friends with at one point. Like their social media accounts live longer then they do. To be honest, it freaks me out. Its a total mind f*ck. Lol....

----
    *Cluck*
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Thanks for telling us.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Facebook is well and truly dying. Active subscriber numbers have been inflated for a long while now.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't care for Facebook. I really don't get what the 'hype' is all about. And yes, as @Moomintroll nicely put it, I think Facebook isn't neccessary to lead a healthy active social life.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    edited February 2013
    What's the hype? It's just a lot of people using it. I personally don't have a problem with it. Use groups to schedule some things with friends (or through a WhatsApp-group) and I keep the number of friends relatively low (acquintances or less can hit me up on Twitter if they desire). Just a handy tool. All the privacy-people? I just don't share anything I don't need anyone on Facebook to know.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Edwin said:

A self inflicted Orwellian society. like if you hate privacy :-)

Liked, cuz I learned a new phrase "Orwellian society". :)
    I want to like everything Melicamp says because of the cluck. But I must resist.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Never joined facebook, so I'm one of the quiet minority. I am worried about how much information about me exists online, even after I take measures to limit said information.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I've never had one either. If people want to get a hold of me they can text or call. I don't have the need to tell people what I'm doing or what I believe in. My fiancee has one and when I'm sitting next to her while she's on it and reading some statuses... well... I don't wanna live on this planet anymore...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In my D&D group, facebook is the nickname our party gave the book of vile darkness due to what the cover looked like
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited February 2013
    I won't go anywhere near any of the so-called 'social networks'. 'Social', my ar$e - more like anti-social. I'll also confess to being one of those people that carries a mobile phone only under severe protest for work; even then, my chosen box does phone calls and texts and nothing else. Then I get seriously complained at because it spends all its life set to 'discreet' mode so I never know when I'm being called or text'd anyway :))
    edited February 2013
    What's against being reachable? I can see why you wouldn't want or need a Facebook, even though I don't see any (real) problems with the site myself, but it's a pain in the ass when your battery dies nowadays. It's just handy to be able to reach the people you are planning on doing things with, for instance.
    LukevanV said:

What's against being reachable? I can see why you wouldn't want or need a Facebook, even though I don't see any (real) problems with the site myself, but it's a pain in the ass when your battery dies nowadays. It's just handy to be able to reach the people you are planning on doing things with, for instance.

I guess it depends on your own social group. For me, I've never done anything useful on facebook, but being useless at having my phone with me or even switched on at all has definitely been a kind of social laziness, which I've suffered for.

At some point, everyone started relying on their phones, what was I doing?

(BG!)
  • catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    I don't have friends since college is over. XD

Actually that's true, so.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    LukevanV said:

What's against being reachable?

When I walk out of the door to do something (thrash the bike, walk the nearest hill, whatever) I don't want to be disturbed by other concerns. One of my serious pet hates is people who break off a conversation to answer a mobile phone - that's discourteous to the nth degree as if a piece of silicon and plastic matters more than a real person. My response to 'but how do you know if the call is important or not' is 99999 times out of 100000 it isn't. If you want to be social with another real person in the flesh, then be social. Give them your attention and don't sub-divide it with a lifeless thing.
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    I like this thread. I don't even own a phone.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Yovaneth: You're making a good point there. How are social networks actually 'social'? They only encourage people to sit in a chair in front of a screen all day and making them share useless little facts like how tasty their pizza is. I mean, do I really NEED to know such things? Nope. I also think the lay-out of Facebook (the so-called 'time line') is terrible and confusing. If I want to meet a friend, I call them or, if it's more of a 'long-term' thing, I e-mail them to ask whether they got a bit of free time to hang out. Yet, everyone is so 'into' Facebook that I can't help but feeling left out sometimes too. :/
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Personally I don't like Facebook much, but it does serve it's purpose. I currently live very far away from my family and most of my friends. They are all in the U.S. and I live in the Philippines. So when we want to share pictures/videos etc. of our kids for their cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. then we can just upload to one place and everyone who cares to look at them/comment can do so. Much easier than trying to email all of it to everybody and hoping they haven't changed email addresses. Also, if I happen to catch friends or family online I can have a nice chat with them. I still try to contact my immediate family using video chat and internet calling, but that's not always a reality with everyone that I would like to stay in touch with. So even though I only really log into Facebook maybe once a week, at least I can keep family update and I can stay updated on what they are doing.

@Yovaneth - I agree with you 100% on people dropping whatever they are doing to answer a call. If you are already engaged in a conversation or transaction with someone, it is very impolite. Some exceptions might be if you are expecting an emergency call (i.e. wife is 40 weeks pregnant) or you needed a way to end the conversation anyway (i.e. Noober is chatting you up again). I use my cell phone much less these days and found that I like the reduced usage. I rarely get called on it anymore or call anyone and mainly use it to send/receive text messages, which don't need to be replied to right away - oh and it's a handy clock.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2013
    What I hate about facebook is giving away your personal life on internet. For it to be meaningful and be able exchange relevant information with friends and colleagues (what an awful word, I need a dictionary to spell it right), I'd have to put my real name on the Internet, not just Son of Imoen and share personal info and opinions. If people start trolling Son of Imoen, I find it disturbing, if they start trolling the real me I'd get even more upset. I have been stalked in real life and I'd be very afraid of stalking and trolling if I'd had a facebook account.

Another thing I'd dislike, is getting an overload of info (when I'd have a twitter account it'd be the same): I already having a hard time as it is, dealing with everything that's going on in the world, in politics, at work and with friends. I'd get even more 'information stress' if I'd get updated by facebook or twitter about everything that's going on in mental health care and politics in this city.

If colleagues or friends want to let me know something, there's e-mail or a phonecall. If I want to meet people, there's real life contact face-to-face. That's all I need. It's even too much as it is.
    edited February 2013
    Yovaneth said:

LukevanV said:

What's against being reachable?

When I walk out of the door to do something (thrash the bike, walk the nearest hill, whatever) I don't want to be disturbed by other concerns. One of my serious pet hates is people who break off a conversation to answer a mobile phone - that's discourteous to the nth degree as if a piece of silicon and plastic matters more than a real person. My response to 'but how do you know if the call is important or not' is 99999 times out of 100000 it isn't. If you want to be social with another real person in the flesh, then be social. Give them your attention and don't sub-divide it with a lifeless thing.
    That's true. I never use my phone when I'm with people, and I've disabled buzzing and sounds for things like WhatsApp. I get called maybe 4 times a month, so that's probably an important call then. :P

@Son_of_Imoen has two objections I can relate too. You do often check Facebook when you have to write something incredibly boring, like a thesis. But I only give out the information in my Facebook and Twitter I don't mind people knowing.

As for the people Kitteh mentions... Facebook has a really nice option nowadays: you don't have to unfriend someone who is incredibly annoying (which I still prefer in most cases actually), because you can just filter their updates from your feed. Boom! Only interesting people/likes get featured.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I'm largely indifferent. I don't use one because I'm not a very social person, and I could never dedicate myself to checking it out like once every five minutes as it'd inevitably force me to do, but if someone else wants to, then by all means.
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    I find also good things by having a profile in facebook. You can easily organize meetings and events of many people without having to call everybody separately. And it's great way to "get back" some of your friends from childhood who nowdays have their own family and don't have time to meet you in person.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.