Skip to content

Random Party PVP - Unable to Travel - Help!!

Hey,

I was a few hours into the game and had just reached the town of Beregost ( I think). Anyways, while standing still, game unpaused, Khalid and his female friend murder the two guys I picked up, Xazr and the thief, for no reason at all. Literally... no reason. I didn't even get a chance to use either one of them. All of a sudden the text scrolls and says something about how they can't stand each other and then WHAM! Dead... ON TOP OF WHICH.... It corrupted both auto-saves and a manual save. On top of THAT: I can no longer travel to anywhere outside the city of Beregost. Not to Temple ( on the right), or High Guard ( on the left). I can't even travel back north to the forest.

I'm seriously pissed off about this. For a company that claims they made 400 improvements to the game, why are incidents like this still happening???

I feel seriously ripped off and now I'm out $20.00 on a game that, as far as I can tell, is seriously broken. I mean, what if I get 8 to 11 hours or more into the game and a stunt like this happens again? I won't keep restarting, that's for sure. And it's not like this is some giant MMO you've launched with day one issues... these kind of issues should be far and few between!!

For shame! :(

P.S.: You (developers) seriously need to add a times 2 speed (x2 ) to the game. The walking is horrifically slow for such large maps.

Comments

• harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    The fight is a feature, not a bug. Some NPCs will not like others, and depending on charisma of your party leader and some random rolls they might come to blows, personally I love this feature as it gives the game some real personality. The saves being corrupt are obviously an issue though.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    You made a party with both Zhents and Harpers in it. Obviously they were going to kill each other. This isn't like Mass Effect, where everybody just kind of rolls with it. You can't have party members with radically different allegiances following you.

Not being able to travel is another matter entirely, and one that I've never experienced in my countless times playing this game. If you can more thoroughly describe what exactly the problem is (Like, are you unable to travel because it says you need to gather your party, or are the areas just greyed out?), someone could probably help you. Since you're clearly brand new to this genre of games, I'd be willing to bet there's a logical explanation for your inability to travel that has nothing to do with the developers.

The game's speed won't feel slow to you once you've leveled up a bit more. Once everybody has more spells and abilities to utilize in combat, you'll be grateful that the game isn't faster. If exploring a new map is that tedious for you, cast Haste.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yes, Khalid & Jaheira are supposed to fight with Xzar & Montaron. HOWEVER, there is first meant to be some bitching and needling dialogue between them, leading up to the fight over several game-days. If they fight without the provocation having been made obvious, then that's a bug.

Obviously the corruption of saves and so on is also a bug, but are you certain that it's part of the same bug? Or could it have already occurred for some other reason, and not been noticed because you hadn't previously needed to reload?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    It is just me or the walking in vanilla was even slower?

IIRC it has something to do with BGEE using the BG2 engine. I remember also a mod for BGtutu that would allow to select the walking speed of either BG1 or BG2. Am I right in assuming that BGEE uses BG2 walking speed or my memory is playing tricks on me?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Erg That sounds about right. Walking in BG1 vanilla was slow as hell, BG2 was definitely faster.

You could mess with the speed in the options, though. Playing BG1 vanilla in about '03 with a good computer at max settings was like having your whole party wearing boots of speed. It was terrible for the pace of combat, though.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Madhax said:

If exploring a new map is that tedious for you, cast Haste.

Well yes, that's a possibility. But really, if some people find exploration tedious, then I'm not convinced that the adventure-RPG genre would be their sort of game. This isn't a shoot-em-up and it isn't meant to be, careful and thorough exploration is central to this genre.

Actually the walking speed in BGee is already as fast as anyone could sensibly want, because it were any faster then we'd be continually blundering into traps and enemies before we'd had time to notice them and decide how to react, so we'd just get killed. However, for areas already cleared and safe (and with no respawn points), maybe there'd be some point in having a "run" option ... although perhaps at the cost of hastening fatigue.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If attempting to load a corrupt save results in a crash, send the .dmp files in Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash to support@beamdog.com. If you can load the saves, but something is wrong with them, please describe the symptoms.

Since you're new, I'll say that the only way to change outdoor areas is to go up to the edge of your current map and click when your cursor becomes a wheel. You cannot just bring up the map and "fast travel" whenever you feel like it, since this would allow people to skip encounters. If you're moving to the edge of the map and still can't travel, then there's a problem (and like @Madhax said, you need to be more specific about what happens when it doesn't work).

You can increase the walk speed by adding this line to your baldur.ini (in Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition) and changing the number to anything higher than 30:
    'Program Options',	'Maximum Frame Rate',	'30',
    However, note that this WILL increase the speed of the game in general. Don't set it too high. I play at 45.