Skip to content

Can we get more eponymous spells?

MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
edited February 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Not sure if "personal" is the correct term, I'm referring to "Larloch's Minor Drain" or "Melf's Acid Arrow". Spells created by certain notably wizards, in other words.

It always bugged me how few of these there are in the D&D CRPGs. I don't know how prevalent they are in PnP, so I might be completely off-base in this, but as a kid playing BG1 I always thought Larloch was some minor trickster who crafted crappy spells. It wasn't until recently that I discovered he's a godlike lich of enormous power, and it seems silly that his only named spell in the BG series is a minor pinprick that gets outdated quickly.

Something like "Larloch's Major Drain" would be simple enough to implement for starters, right?
Post edited by Madhax on

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    There's a reasonable number in BG. Off the top of my head I can think of Larloch's Minor Drain, Nahals Reckless Dweomer, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Melf's Acid Arrow, Melf's Minute Meteors, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Simbul's Spell Trigger/Sequencer, Tenser's Transformation, Mordenkainen's Sword, Khelben's Warding Whip, Abi-Dalzim's Horrible Wilting. And Bigby's obsession with magical hands.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    My issue is that there aren't enough personalized spells PER WIZARD, not necessarily in the game as a whole. Bigby and Melf have a handful of spells each, and Tenser perhaps didn't have other unique spells, but Larloch and Aganazzer certainly crafted more powerful spells than the basic stuff we're left to play with, right?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I think the correct term for such spells would be "Eponymous". But then I'm a pedant.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You forgot Tenser's Floating Bandage.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would like to see Larloch MAJOR drain, considering who Larloch was...
    Corvino said:

I think the correct term for such spells would be "Eponymous". But then I'm a pedant.

Thanks, I was blanking on the word. I re-wrote that subject line multiple times and hated myself for not having a better way to say it. Edited.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Just so you know, some spells are named by casters that aren't part of the forgotten realms (such as mordenkainen)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    This would be cool, but I think it's best accomplished via mods.

Personally I think we should find at least one brand-new spell. We'd find it in chapter 6, and it would have been created by a mage named Gorion.
    @Nifft

Not a bad idea, but after all the work Overhaul went through in revamping the Gorion vs. Sarevok fight to be more "realistic", giving Gorion a unique spell would only beg the question why he didn't whip it out during the duel.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Madhax said:

Not a bad idea, but after all the work Overhaul went through in revamping the Gorion vs. Sarevok fight to be more "realistic", giving Gorion a unique spell would only beg the question why he didn't whip it out during the duel.

Maybe he did!

What if it was a "Shield Other" spell which transferred all damage from the target to the caster?

This is how CHARNAME escaped...

Proposed spell name: Gorion's Gift.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I've looked through all the 2ed magic supplements to pick out some spells for the mod I'm working on. And I found alot of the spells named after Wizards to be fairly hard to implement or were a little too gimmicky. Still there are a couple that could be implemented. Malec-Keth's Flame Fist, Lorloveim's Shadowy Transformation, Hornung's Surge Selector, Gunther's Kaleidoscopic Strike and Bloodstone's Frightful Joining could be easily done.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I just want to cast lightning bolt!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've always assumed that we don't get to see most of the spells created by the really powerful spellcasters - they keep them to themselves to gain an advantage over other wizards.

The only ones that are generally available are those which happen to have somehow slipped out over time.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    He had it slotted for memorization, but CHARNAME and Gorion didn't sleep before heading out so...
    Madhax said:

@Nifft

Given the terrible belt that Gorion has chosen as adventurewear, I shudder to think what his unique spell would do.

Perhaps Gorion's Fragile Grounding - makes the caster immune to electical damage but take double physical damage.
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    I find it unlikely for a wizard to find completely new spells in a world like the worlds of AD&D. Even one did find one, the typical highest level wizards live on their own, and even when not, he or she would not share his wisdom with others.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Teams of Wizards working together may discover new spells I would think, or possibly unearth ancient spells through research. As far as them becoming common knowledge, sure they would try to keep it to themselves, but surely there would be espionage within those circles. Wizards do have to write down the spells at some point, making it susceptible to being stolen or copied. So while the new spells would probably only exist in certain circles at first, eventually they could be used by most powerful groups and even in some cases every wizard who has a formal education in the arcane. Think of real world weapons and knowledge like the a-bomb (used to be just U.S. now many countries have it) and the Bible (used to be restricted to clergy now anyone who wants one can obtain one).
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66
    Lol @bomb and @bible

Well, if teams of wizards working together to discover new spells - if they really would discover a new spell - what did not happen very often in the last thousands of years - they would not name it after one of them or kill each other being the one it is named after... ^^