Skip to content

[ITEMS REQUEST] Mini-compilation

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
This is a thread that will consolidate a few ideas from the Friends of Baldur's Gate reddit board. I do not claim credit for the ideas submitted hereafter, except where noted.

"[REQUEST] Halberds Switchable Damage-type" by Boaster
Please consider making halberds switchable between Piercing and Slashing damage types. These weapons after all a spear and an axe combined. The manuals stated them as having *bludgeoning and piercing, though I'm sure it was meant to be slashing and piercing.

This gives Halberds, a generally underused 2H weapon, a unique feature for combat versatility. Especially versus those slimes that are immune to piercing or slashing.

"[REQUEST] All weapons magical +1-5" by Boaster
(modified)
I would like to see all weapon types be represented in the new Enhanced Editions of BG1 and BG2. All weapons should have at least a +1 through +5 plain magical version. Beyond this, any additional magical weapons of any one type would have bonus properties (i.e. Halberd +2: 'Torch' 33% chance to add 1d3 Fire damage and infravision up to 120 ft.).

My favorite weapon type is the Halberd (Composite Bow/Halberd wielding warrior anyone!?). Admittedly, Halberds are not a commonly favored weapon as the long sword. And honestly, the ravager +5 halberd in BG2 is one of the coolest weapons Ev4R!!!

I think all weapons should be viable/usable/desirable, so there shouldn't be any one item that doesn't progress to +5 (or whatever the max magic level is decided).

"[REQUEST] Items description/comparison" by th3rulXT
Concerning this windows, that appears when right-clicking an item, it would be great to make available such a window with two item, displayed side-by-side so it permits the player to see the statistics differences between these two items at a glance.

Response by Boaster: Or perhaps just open up a floating scroll window that's maybe 80% opaque and 20% transparent. Akorse the percentages should be an adjustable option.

"[Discuss] Large weapons wielded by Small Races" by Boaster
Should we really be able to see a Gnome or a Dwarf wield a two-handed bastard sword? Or a spear? Or halberd? These are, generally speaking, large weapons. Should a Gnome or Dwarf even be able to wield these items?

[–]IchigoRXC

Long Bows, spears, halberds and 2 handed swords should not be wielded by smaller races (gnomes and Halflings). I think dwarves are considered medium, compared to the small halflings and gnomes.

[–]Boaster

Ah, yeah. I forgot Long Bows. If these smaller races can't use these larger weapons, we may see more weapon diversity. Especially if there are plans to have all weapons well represented with the same degree of magical levels.
Ah, yeah. I forgot Long Bows. If these smaller races can't use these larger weapons, we may see more weapon diversity. Especially if there are plans to have all weapons well represented with the same degree of magical levels.

[–]Gilthas

I'm not sure if I agree with this.

In the case of Long Bows I can see why it would be difficulty for the smaller races to use them, but Dwarfs incapable of wielding 2 handed weapons? Can't really agree with that.

[–]stephanmartins

It's not limited by any AD&D rules. And also, nobody noticed the Goblins from Irenicu's Dungeon wielding Longbows (requiring STR 18)?

I don't think it really matters.

[–]Boaster

Hmm, maybe I was mistaken. Maybe it was a DM rule all those years ago.

[–]Bhryaen

Dwarves are supposed to be hearty, stout folk, and they look great with larger weapons. Maybe gnomes could be lumped with halflings in this regard, but for sure dwarves are heavier, larger-boned humanoids that shouldn't be restricted race-wise by weapon size

[–]Aosaw

Agreed.

Even in third edition, dwarves are Medium-sized.

[–]kmark232323

Gnomes and halflings should not use Large, 2-handed Melee weapons. Halflings should not use Longswords in one hand, etc... It is hard to reason that a 35 lb halfling can swing, with skill, a 35 pound weapon. Even though this is a fantasy game, it is still pushing the limits for them to do so.

"[REQUEST] Flaming swords, legacy shields and helms" by AndreaColombo

By now, I think everyone in this subreddit (as well as everyone at Overhaul Games / Beamdog) knows the mod One Pixel Production. Among other things, it has components to restore flaming long swords, add flaming short swords and colorable quarterstaffs, and restore the BG1-style round shields and helms.

When I first played BG2 I was very disappointed to see that flaming swords were gone, as they were one of the coolest graphical elements in BG1 (and BG2 was supposed to be more advanced, rather than backward!), so I believe they should definitely feature in BG:EE. But this is likely something the developer has already considered (Trent said on his Twitter he's impressed with 1PP and wants to incorporate it in BG:EE).

What I would really, really like to see is legacy shields and helms. They look so much better than their BG2 counterparts. Like, A LOT better. They'd be there by default if BG1 animations were used, but since they probably won't I'll put forth a request for legacy shields and helms to be used in BG:EE regardless.

This is just a mini-compilation of some Item based threads from reddit's board.

Additionally: This is a re-post. The other thread can be deleted, but apparently not by my hand.

Comments

• TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    We'd like to get in contact with Erephine about incorporating some / all of the brilliant work. Hopefully someone knows some contact info.
    Zymran86AndreaColombo
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Equal representation of magical weapons for all weapon types is something that I believe is essential. I'm not saying that all weapon types need to have nifty magical attributes, but I believe that at the very least each weapon type should have a +1 to +5 weapon available by the end of BG2.

Hopefully you guys can contact the people responsible for One Pixel Production so that some of their stuff can be added.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Well, I would say this much...

Bows and Arrows /probably/ shouldn't go beyond +3 for Launcher and Arrow. Cuz that's +6 combined. I'd leave that to the EE crew to figure out.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I understand that issue with Bows and Arrows (and other missile weapons) the thing is, its pretty annoying when you can't hit something with a ranged weapon because it requires a +4 or +5 weapon to hit.

They need to at least add Arrows/Bolts/Bullets that have the special property of being able to hit these creatures.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Or consider the two items together as their final Hit quality.

A +2 Bow and +2 Arrow should equal +4 hit power.
    HaricotVert
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    We'd like to get in contact with Erephine about incorporating some / all of the brilliant work. Hopefully someone knows some contact info.
    Hi Trent,

I believe Miloch (co-author of Infinity Animations) and Kaeloree (Spellhold Studios forum administrator) are your best chance to get in touch with Erephine. She hasn't been posting on SHS for a long while, now.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Btw, the whole flaming swords and legacy shields/helms thing can definitely be implemented without borrowing the relevant 1PP component. All the mod does is re-implement something that was already part of the original game resources, so the devs already have access to all the needed material that I know of.

It's not Baldur's Gate without legacy shields and flaming swords! LOL