Skip to content

Carsomyr Broken

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited February 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Carsomyr Broken64 votes
    1. Yes. Break Carsomyr into several pieces for reforging.
      32.81%
    2. No. Leave it as it is.
      67.19%

Comments

• helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 366
    I wouldnt say it is one of the best weapons, IF you take into account the weapons you can forge in ToB. There are several better options than Carsomyr. I mostly used Casormyr for my rogue (with that epic level ability that let you use any weapon)
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    I personally liked the mini-quests for components of artifacts or other powerful items. It is fun to stuff your Bag of Holding with seemingly useless parts that, when combined with a lot of gold and time, give very useful items.

I would also be very much in favour of adding an enchant/create-your-own-items option, like in Morrowind with the potions!
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I don't think so. Carsomyr is strong but it's not bugged or cheesy in my opinion. Lord Jierdan Firkraag is classy and cool, so It is absolutely fitting for him to "drop" Carsomyr. Breaking it into pieces will make Carsomyr less feared by evil. Leave it as it is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The thing is, they can't. It is (almost)indestructible, and like The One Ring, it can only be destroyed at a particular place(or time, or wtv). That is one of the reasons it is so feared. Of course I just made that up but I like to think that way. :)

I would suggest making The Equalizer stronger. We wait so long to complete it, and when it is repaired, it dissapoints. Could have made it a little bit stronger, hitting like +5 weapon, for example.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Carsomyr is only strong if you are a Paladin (or have one as npc).
    Can't see why a dragon, who thinks very high of himself, would break a sword of tremendous value when it is "safe" in his possession.
    Otherwise I like the recepies of Caspenar and as @Phyrax said, collect and see what you have can actually make.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Yes, Break it, sounds like the begining of a interesting mini quest
  • Morieth28Morieth28 Member Posts: 4
    As far as I am concerned, Carsomyr is needed to complete an optional final quest in Paladins Stronghold, given you did not kill Firkraag beforehand. Being able to complete it only in the final chapter of the game would suck, in my opinion.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Great idea, I never thought of that! Most of the +5 weapons require crafting, and this weapon is one of the best! (Sooooo many enemies are Chaotic Evil IIRC). Ironically, you can't use it against the Chaotic Evil Red Dragon...

Any suggestions for how many pieces/where these pieces would be? And price?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    I'd prefer it stay intact. Firkraag may not be an overwhelming challenge to us veterans, but to a new player he's very difficult to take down. And Carsomyr is no less difficult to attain than, say, Celestial Fury or Belm, both of which are at similar levels of desirability and power.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    An interesting idea but only for a mod. Carsomyr's power is meant to make 2-handed swords an attractive proficiency because 2-h swords are a bad choice in general (you're sacrificing the ability to wield a shield or an off-hand weapon for +1 avg. damage; that's why magical 2-h weapons are usually of higher enchantment level in BG series). The dispel-on-hit ability is useful except when you need it the most; against PfMW'd or Mantle'd wizards.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I sort of agree with you, but it would probably be better as a mod. Simply make Carsomyr a +2 or 3 weapon at first, add some junk called 'Holy Shards' to random areas/bosses in the game, and then make it forgeable by combining the shards with carsomyr +3 to form C+5.
  • LilacorLilacor Member Posts: 8
    Leave it as is.

Even though its the best weapon (or at least a contender for) in SOA, it's still not really that great of a weapon thoughout BG2. Its biggest thing going for it is its Dispel Magic x3/day, which is only great against mages. The +5 modifier and the +5 damage vs CE are nice, but not OP or broken in anyway.

Especially since there are so few magical 2H Swords in BG1 (in vanilla, it's the +1, the Spiderbane, and the +3, Cursed Berzerking), 2H Sword Paladins FINALLY get a solid weapon in BG2. And if Charname isn't a Paladin, then it can only be used by Keldorn (who has already GOT a dispel magic from his kit), and he's only a decent fighter, at his best (which is with the Carsomyr!).
  • seawiedseawied Member Posts: 24
    Don't screw with a classic. If you want to make Carsomyr an annoying search quest, make it with a mod. There is no need to change it as is.

For crying out loud, you have to kill a Dragon to get it.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I think Carsomyr *is* broken. As implemented in BG2 it actually only rolled D10 for damage instead of the stated D12, and the dispel magic on-hit required a fan-made fix to work properly.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not that I disagree with your premise, but Celestial fury is much more powerful and even more easily attainable.
    Flail of ages is equally powerful and easier to obtain.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Bhaaldog said:

Morieth28 said:

Being able to complete it only in the final chapter of the game would suck, in my opinion.

There is a Blacksmith called Cromwell who can potentially reforge from Chapter 2 onwards.
    Yes, but I believe the implication is that the final part of the forged weapon will only become available after the party departs for Spellhold, meaning Cromwell cannot be accessed again until chapter 6. Doing this does indeed mean the weapon cannot be acquired for a very long time, not doing it means you'd have to go some to make it actually worth the effort of making it forgeable (since players could otherwise very easily get the parts).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Carsormyr is great, yes. It's also supposed to be a holy relic and a holy avenger usable ONLY by Paladins, pre ToB. After ToB, the Ravager says hello. (+6 10% Vorpal with poison damage).

I would instead prefer if the other weapon that is split into pieces (the longsword one, name eludes me) was buffed a bit since it's not really worth it when you get it.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Bhaaldog said:

Yes, but I believe the implication is that the final part of the forged weapon will only become available after the party departs for Spellhold, meaning Cromwell cannot be accessed again until chapter 6. Doing this does indeed mean the weapon cannot be acquired for a very long time, not doing it means you'd have to go some to make it actually worth the effort of making it forgeable (since players could otherwise very easily get the parts).

Where did I imply that? Judging by some of the responses here did I write something in invisible text that I was unaware of? My idea here was about adding an additional quest that could add some extra minor content to the Paladin Stronghold. Nothing more.
    I didn't say YOUR implication. I figured other people were assuming that, since every other forged item is that way except for scale armour.